PDA

View Full Version : Can I spray pain stock gas tank??

Narly R
03-23-2003, 04:41 PM
I was thinkin bout takin my stock r tank and spray painting it black, ONLY if it will stay and look ok! Anyone ever tried this? And what would happen if I spray painted my stock plastic?? I dont have much to loose, just knoledge,and fun to gain!:cool:

CHAUNCY
03-23-2003, 05:31 PM
It might chip but I'm not to sure.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-24-2003, 03:16 AM
Bad idea :ermm:

exriderdude
03-24-2003, 04:00 AM
you shouldnt spray paint plastic:ermm:

Narly R
03-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Maybe I wont paint my plastic?!I kinda need to see if I can paint my gas tank though.:ermm: Ill try it today.

Str8Wicked
03-24-2003, 09:33 AM
It'll last as long as you prep it right... I don't see many people riding on there tanks where it will get tons of abuse......

Now all the plastics will be fine again as long as you prep it right. Now if your riding in muddy, rocky areas I wouldn't consider it.. Ride in mud and dirt maybe but I can for see tons of scratches.... In the sand it will last unless you roll it...

RoadkillerRyan
03-24-2003, 09:56 AM
ya it would flake off over time and the tank is covered by plastic so you cant really see it, whats it for?

Narly R
03-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Im not shure what you mean.......... my plastic and tank is for a 86 r, if thats what you want.Is what the deal is, that my IMS tank is geting a hole rubbed in it so, I might hafe to go back to my stocker. But my bikes black and red and my tanks kinda this color, so it would look like poo, and I need a smaller tank for the races, just had it lying around so I thought i could switch them every now and then?:ermm:

ralph2
03-24-2003, 01:17 PM
the gas will eat away at the paint on the tank when it hits it, and if you do your plasic it will chip at the stress points and then just start crackign all over,, i have rear painted blaster fenders and it scks balls, i have to get them repainted all the time,, but i would rather do that then buy new ones in that color soo....

Narly R
03-24-2003, 02:23 PM
I never thought bout gas hittin it! Yea that will happen, cant do it now!:(

03-24-2003, 02:28 PM
I would if its just unabrable to look at haha

Narly R
03-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Well its pretty ugly!!!!! But first I hafe to see if I can still use my IMS!?:rolleyes: Time will tell!

hessianmx111
03-25-2003, 12:58 PM
for the tank i would definitely buy a couple sheets of black number plate backgrounds that are used for dirtbikes and cut them to fit the tank

AndrewRRR
03-25-2003, 01:32 PM
I'm sure spray paint would look like garbage and not last (but hey, it's spray paint, just spend $3 for another can and shoot it again!). Gas will probably eat it away pretty quickly. My tank was the same color you are describing, a really ugly green-blue that happens over the years from fading. I shot my tank and hood with blue (matched to the original color, but it's so bright it looks custom). It looks killer and I haven't had any of it scratch or chip yet, and I am a messy fuel pourer!