PDA

View Full Version : Decompression Plunger Sticking

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Has anybody ever had issues with the decompression plunger sticking? The engine I'm working on had a Hot Cam in it when it dropped a valve which damaged the cam, so I'm throwing one of my old stock cams into the head. I went to put the spring and plunger in...and the spring went in fine, but the plunger needed some persuasion to go into the hole. If I remember right, its supposed to be relatively loose in the hole and move with the spring? It is pretty much stuck in place in the little hole in the head...i dont want to start it without getting this figured out.

blacknblue#2
12-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Sounds like something has a burr on it, weather it be the plunger or the head. Make sure both are clean and oiled. the last few times I've had a 400 apart I've done completely away with the decomp setup. Pressed it off the cam and removed the plunger. Avoid having it ever cause an issue that way

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2014, 02:01 PM
did you have to use a hydraulic press for that or do you think a mechanical press would work? did you plug the hole the plunger and spring go into afterwards? I remember there was a myth going around that it wouldn't start if you didnt weld that hole shut.

blacknblue#2
12-03-2014, 03:40 PM
I used a mechanical press. The sprocket comes off easy and with a mechanical press you can feel when to stop when you go back on with the sprocket. It will only go back on the splines one way and that will be obvious to ya when u get to that point. The myth about the hole in the head is just that......a myth. It's a flat bottom hole to nowhere that does nothing more than hold a spring and plunger. I've never capped a hole shut and every one I've done has ran ever since

BlasterEaten250
12-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the help, this will be my project tomorrow!

BlasterEaten250
12-09-2014, 11:01 PM
I pressed it off. It turned out to be pretty easy. I'm going to have the oil hole TIG welded shut by a local machine shop just to be safe.