PDA

View Full Version : The benefits of magnetic drain plug.

jon370r
11-22-2014, 03:17 PM
For those of you that haven't invested the $10 into a magnetic drain plug I figured I would post a pic of the metallic sludge collected on it. I have even had it save the cases when I broke 3rd gear. The pieces were held by the magnet in the bottom rather than floating around and destroying the rest of the gear pack. I was able to ride an hour home with a broken 3rd shift dog. Unfortunately I couldn't post the pic of the plug and the metallic crap that it collected.

DnB_racing
11-30-2014, 09:25 AM
For those of you that haven't invested the $10 into a magnetic drain plug I figured I would post a pic of the metallic sludge collected on it. I have even had it save the cases when I broke 3rd gear. The pieces were held by the magnet in the bottom rather than floating around and destroying the rest of the gear pack. I was able to ride an hour home with a broken 3rd shift dog. Unfortunately I couldn't post the pic of the plug and the metallic crap that it collected.

ive got them also...they are a good first sign of a problem..but much of the motor is aluminum and those filings along with clutch fiberes will only be seen in the oil...but gear fragments and bearings will be attracted and of course broken bolts and gears....a small amount of metal will be on magnet and this is normal,

so change oil often and see how much is a normal metal dust... and pay close attention every oil change to see if more then normal particles are building up indicating something is going to happen...

I guess what im saying is pay attention to the small details and you will avoid bigger problems....

the magnetic plugs are a great tool if you use them for what they are meant to do, and that's to show you what's happening inside your cases,
and yes to help keep the bigger pieces from doing any more damage, as you've said that little magnet may have saved you huge money!!!

450rtt
12-02-2014, 08:11 AM
i've never used the magnetic plugs but on my 450's i've always made the point to check my oil filter. It catches more than the plug and will show you instantly if you have problems. I cut mine open after every oil change and inspect for shavings. Almost always there are a few shavings but if you start seeing gold or a decent amount of aluminum it's time to tear down. This saved me from grenading a motor that had a crank bearing going out on it. I can see the use for the magnetic plugs, but at the same time the material probably only settles to the plug after it sits for a bit of time, the oil filter is what catches it all.

DnB_racing
12-03-2014, 04:45 PM
i've never used the magnetic plugs but on my 450's i've always made the point to check my oil filter. It catches more than the plug and will show you instantly if you have problems. I cut mine open after every oil change and inspect for shavings. Almost always there are a few shavings but if you start seeing gold or a decent amount of aluminum it's time to tear down. This saved me from grenading a motor that had a crank bearing going out on it. I can see the use for the magnetic plugs, but at the same time the material probably only settles to the plug after it sits for a bit of time, the oil filter is what catches it all.ya ........ the 250r doesn't have an oil filter....

ahhhmmmm so uhm ya:blah:

wilkin250r
12-05-2014, 12:30 AM
...but thanks for adding to the conversation, Sport. We look forward to your gems of knowledge here in the 250R section, especially such useful tidbits as this one (discussing Curtis Sparks TT pipes):
i'm not aware that they make a pipe specifically for tt.

jimmi
12-05-2014, 09:46 AM
...but thanks for adding to the conversation, Sport. We look forward to your gems of knowledge here in the 250R section, especially such useful tidbits as this one (discussing Curtis Sparks TT pipes):

It's an unwritten rule on this website, but it's as old as the website itself. If you see somebody get banned, don't bring attention to it unless you want to follow them out the door.

sooo.....are you going to follow him out the door since you obviously are a hipocrite and have just renigged on a statement you made to another member 1 day ago?

Ruf Racing
12-05-2014, 04:09 PM
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/RideRed187/Random%20Pics/imagejpg1-1.jpg

Ruf Racing
12-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Magnetic plugs can't hurt. All those little things, add up!