PDA

View Full Version : TRX 450R Shock service and revalve?

james1300
11-12-2014, 11:55 AM
I bought the suspension off a TRX450R.
I want to have them serviced and re-valved for my '05 TRX400EX and, riding style.

Who does this? How expensive is it to do?
Other than the shocks, is there a 'link' used for the rear suspension?

11-12-2014, 08:11 PM
There are several companies that do this type of work, DeRisi racing, BNR Racing, Gregs's ATV are the first few that come to mind. Prices vary depending on what all you want done. The companies listed will discuss prices with you according to your wants. There is a rear suspension linkage that you will need to go with the rear shock revalve, it makes a huge difference.

MtnEX
11-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Monster Performance ATV and M A U L Tech ATV also offer this service.

LT80
11-20-2014, 07:14 AM
GT Thunder had the best stock shock rebuilds. Ppl say they rivaled aftermarket shock performance. Unfortunatly Laz died in a airplane accident.
The site says that BNR Motorsports has aquired the rebuild service. bnrmotorsports.com

redrocker
11-20-2014, 08:33 AM
I had all mine done at c&d racing great work :)

MtnEX
11-20-2014, 04:22 PM
I know BNR acquired that part of GT Thunder, and all the info and so forth, but has any GT Thunder user had them do a new set for them to see if they know what they are doing or not?

450rtt
12-02-2014, 01:30 PM
GT Thunder had the best stock shock rebuilds. Ppl say they rivaled aftermarket shock performance. Unfortunatly Laz died in a airplane accident.
The site says that BNR Motorsports has aquired the rebuild service. bnrmotorsports.com
There are 2 companies i can think off of hand who has a better stock rebuild. Jet Suspension, and Ma*ultech performance. GT thunder made some real nice rebuilds and built a name for themselves, but in the past 5-7 years several other companies have stepped up with better rebuilds.

400man
01-05-2015, 08:27 AM
There are 2 companies i can think off of hand who has a better stock rebuild. Jet Suspension, and Ma*ultech performance. GT thunder made some real nice rebuilds and built a name for themselves, but in the past 5-7 years several other companies have stepped up with better rebuilds.

I was talking with Andy from M***tech about either rebuilding some elka shocks or doing the race conversion on stock 450r shocks, and he suggested just buying a new pair of GT shocks because it would be cheaper in the long run and they would have better internal parts like a hi-flo piston and other stuff?

MtnEX
01-05-2015, 01:18 PM
I was talking with Andy from M***tech about either rebuilding some elka shocks or doing the race conversion on stock 450r shocks, and he suggested just buying a new pair of GT shocks because it would be cheaper in the long run and they would have better internal parts like a hi-flo piston and other stuff?

Andy gives solid advice.

I came to that same conclusion by myself and contacted him to check my sanity on it as well.

By the time you buy a set of 450R shocks, pay shipping to send them back and forth somewhere, and pay for the conversions, it just don't make great sense to me. If you picked up a set for next to nothing or are using the set you yanked from your R it makes a little more sense.

Same thing if you have a set of aftermarket shocks that need correcting. By the time you pay for Elka or whoever's parts, seals, etc, and pay for the conversion, piston mods or high flow pistons and so forth, and shipping two ways, it just starts to get expensive.

With the GT Suspension you get a shock built new for you custom, and already has all the mods you'd have to pay extra to have done, etc. The only down side I can find, and what makes them solid and reasonable, is lack of a lot of clicker adjustment. But if they are right to start with like they should be, it don't matter anyways and it's less stuff to screw you up. A lot of shocks, especially OEM's, have a lot of clicks that don't really do anything much anyways. Very little range.