PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever resleeve their cylinder? (without taking to a machine shop)

BlasterEaten250
11-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I bought a 400ex that dropped a valve and hit the piston. The cylinder and piston only had about 15 minutes of ride time before the valve hit the piston (my guess is the guy didn't install the valve correctly). Anyways, sadly the nice new 426 bore is perfect except for one little gouge but I don't want to risk putting it back together and having that gouge cause problems. So since it is already bored out to a 426 and there is no more room to bore, I decided the best idea is probably to put a standard bore LA Sleeve in. The process doesn't seem too hard...pressing the old sleeve out and pressing the new one in...but has anybody ever done this before? I have access to a mechanical style hand press. Will I have to heat up the jug before I apply pressure? Has anybody ever had any problems pressing the new sleeve in? Basically just looking for any pointers or tips when doing this. Thanks!

CJM
11-11-2014, 07:46 AM
I did it with a buddy in the most crude of manners, but it worked.

We heated up the cylinder with a oxy/acetylene torch setup, the sleeve fell out after about 5 minutes. Before this we had frozen the new sleeve in the freezer for 2-3 hours. New sleeve slid right in. No press, no nothing.

BlasterEaten250
11-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. Did you heat the cylinder along with freezing the sleeve when you were installing the sleeve?

BlasterEaten250
11-11-2014, 03:27 PM
I got the old sleeve out today using oxy/acetylene. It was relatively easy like you said. Not sure if I want to put the new sleeve in myself and risk damaging it. I might just have the machine shop put the new one in since they need to bore the ID of the sleeve anyways.

CJM
11-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. Did you heat the cylinder along with freezing the sleeve when you were installing the sleeve?

Yes. Heated the cyl back up again and then let the sleeve drop right in. If you want a good laugh, we did it when we had a foot of snow on the ground so we put the completed piece in the snow to cool lol.

450rtt
11-18-2014, 10:30 AM
I did it with a buddy in the most crude of manners, but it worked.

We heated up the cylinder with a oxy/acetylene torch setup, the sleeve fell out after about 5 minutes. Before this we had frozen the new sleeve in the freezer for 2-3 hours. New sleeve slid right in. No press, no nothing.

I personally do not recommend this method. Even when you're heating the cylinder up you are also heating the sleeve which in turn doesn't work as you described. Maybe you got lucky? I would recommend a press to remove the old sleeve. The one goes in no problem, but heating a cylinder with an acetylen torch is a good way to ruin a cylinder FAST!

CJM
11-18-2014, 07:23 PM
I personally do not recommend this method. Even when you're heating the cylinder up you are also heating the sleeve which in turn doesn't work as you described. Maybe you got lucky? I would recommend a press to remove the old sleeve. The one goes in no problem, but heating a cylinder with an acetylen torch is a good way to ruin a cylinder FAST!

Ryan, you have ZERO idea wtf your talking about. Shut up and strop trolling. When they ban you, they do it for a reason. They dont want you here. yet you keep coming back.

450rtt
11-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Ryan, you have ZERO idea wtf your talking about. Shut up and strop trolling. When they ban you, they do it for a reason. They dont want you here. yet you keep coming back.

huh?

Since you quoted me i assume you're talking to me? I am trying to help the guy out and explain that there's a better method to this. a press is ideal. you can acetylene your cylinder all you want i just don't agree with it and wouldn't suggest it. You will have a tough time heating the cylinder and not heating the sleeve at the same time. Please do not attack me again sir, i do not know you and do not care to know you.

Stickman400
11-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Lol, here we go again...

CJM
11-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Lol, here we go again...
Of course..It never ends.

Ryan Schaefer you know EXACTLY what your doing by starting bs again. We all know its you, so please shaddup. http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?509106-Betcha-half-of-you-on-this-site-dont-even-know-this&p=4366526#post4366526 Oh but no, your not Ryan, now are you? Your someone else right?

I've only been here since 2010, although due to a recent ban i had to create a new username. Prior to my first username i visited this site all the time and lurked back when it was exriders. Still haven't been able to get an answer from the admins as to why i got banned.......

Im sorry, yet another thread ruined. Ill bet if I said to press out the sleeve you woulda argued heating it was the right way.Steel expands at a different rate than aluminum. Aluminum expands more than steel, so heating up the entire cylinder would mean the sleeve will simply fall right out. Go call a machine shop-my method is EXACTLY how they do it. Heat up cylinder, remove sleeve and heat up cylinder then press in chilled sleeve. Cylinder expanded and sleeve shrinks, all cools off tight fit. Could use an oven, but a torch works just as good if you know what your doing. And we all know you dont anyways.

450rtt
11-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Of course..It never ends.

Ryan Schaefer you know EXACTLY what your doing by starting bs again. We all know its you, so please shaddup. http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?509106-Betcha-half-of-you-on-this-site-dont-even-know-this&p=4366526#post4366526 Oh but no, your not Ryan, now are you? Your someone else right?

Im sorry, yet another thread ruined. Ill bet if I said to press out the sleeve you woulda argued heating it was the right way.Steel expands at a different rate than aluminum. Aluminum expands more than steel, so heating up the entire cylinder would mean the sleeve will simply fall right out. Go call a machine shop-my method is EXACTLY how they do it. Heat up cylinder, remove sleeve and heat up cylinder then press in chilled sleeve. Cylinder expanded and sleeve shrinks, all cools off tight fit. Could use an oven, but a torch works just as good if you know what your doing. And we all know you dont anyways.

a machine shop bores the old sleeve out and presses the new sleeve in, evenly. you do not put an acetylene torch on an aluminum cylinder unless you want permanent damage.

450rtt
11-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Also, are you trying to use a full name in order to reveal a person identity? If so that's a shame

i fully undertand you were giving a crude example and a redneck method for doing this without taking to a machine shop, however when you make some hogwash claim that a machine shop also uses your method EXACTLY, as you so nicely put it. that's total garbage, they absolutely do not use your redneck method, as i said they use a press and do it right, no heat, no cold......sorry you have ruined this thread because your butt got hurt that i called out your redneck method as not being very proper, it might work, but it's probably going to cause warping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81iIT9JVKE

i understand that it offends you greatly when somebody challenges your redneck ways. afterall i've built more of these motors than you have probably ever seen. you've owned what, 2 quads? a 400ex and a 450r??and you've had the 450 for what? a year? sorry friend i've owned nearly 20, i've built around 5 and i'm gonna call bs when i see it. i know that 10,000 posts on this forum means you might know something, but trust me there's plenty of us with very few posts that know a whole lot more.

Stickman400
11-21-2014, 01:56 PM
huh?

Since you quoted me i assume you're talking to me? I am trying to help the guy out and explain that there's a better method to this. a press is ideal. you can acetylene your cylinder all you want i just don't agree with it and wouldn't suggest it. You will have a tough time heating the cylinder and not heating the sleeve at the same time. Please do not attack me again sir, i do not know you and do not care to know you.

So you are claiming to not be exactly who CJM says you are, but yet you know exactly how many quads he has owned and what they are? Give it up. You attacked both threads that he replied to and them only. Can we get an admin in here???

wilkin250r
11-21-2014, 05:57 PM
You attacked both threads that he replied to and them only. Can we get an admin in here???

This is an excellent point. I'll be investigating this.

400man
11-21-2014, 07:32 PM
this might kinda be off the topic a lil bit, but a few years ago i bought a used cylinder/piston off ebay. when i got it in the mail, i noticed the sleeve was not flush with the top of the cylinder, it was raised about a eighth inch. at the time I thought i got screwed and thought the cylinder was messed up and sent it back and got a refund. then later I talked with my local bike mechanic and he said it prolly would have been alright cause it could have been drove back down.

450rtt
11-22-2014, 05:44 AM
This is an excellent point. I'll be investigating this.

i certainly would. i can't imagine it being beneficial to allow a member to throw out random full name of people in order to belittle them. I chased nobody down, i simply gave my opinion.....seems it's hard to do these days in a group dominated solely by a few members who don't allow for any other opinion. Torch you cylinders guys do what you want to do, but i'm saying it's very bad advice and no machine shop in the world would use an acetylene torch to do a resleeve.

to address the point about knowing CJM. all i did was read his sig, he's got a quad listed in there as sold and one as a WIP. The math was real easy to do.

DragonGunner
11-22-2014, 06:42 AM
i certainly would. i can't imagine it being beneficial to allow a member to throw out random full name of people in order to belittle them. I chased nobody down, i simply gave my opinion.....seems it's hard to do these days in a group dominated solely by a few members who don't allow for any other opinion. Torch you cylinders guys do what you want to do, but i'm saying it's very bad advice and no machine shop in the world would use an acetylene torch to do a resleeve.

to address the point about knowing CJM. all i did was read his sig, he's got a quad listed in there as sold and one as a WIP. The math was real easy to do.

You didn't address the point of knowing CJM….you skipped over that part and went to the sig line. Second you sound and write in the same way CJM named. 3rd if CJM threw out a "random full name" which it wasn't "random", and its not you then why worry. 4th I see you have only been here since this year and yet you seem to know that…"seems it's hard to do these days in a group dominated solely be a few members….." ya, you been here so long and know all the history don't you….for a green horn just joining a few months ago…..LOL. The math on this one was real easy to do also.

CJM
11-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Right, cause at least some of your posts are all in posts containing my posts where you poke at me. Perhaps the one about riding illegally comes to mind that was 4 years old you just stumbled upon..right.

Cant dig yourself out of the hole you created unless you go back and edit those posts..which Im sure you will do.

450rtt
11-23-2014, 06:34 AM
You didn't address the point of knowing CJM….you skipped over that part and went to the sig line.

I'm focusing on the point of this thread. Re sleeving a cylinder and using an acetylene torch.....I don't believe you have addressed the purpose of this post, so i'm not sure what good you are offering this thread?

Looks like a few people got upset. For the third time, I don't recommend torching the cylinder when resleeving, a machinist would never use this method and although it will work, it's not a good method.

To address the point about the riding illegally post. It's not me following you. A person can search this forum and you will have a post in 9 out of 10 threads that come up, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. I search the forum quite regularly.

zyoung04
11-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Some people do t have the access of a machine shop. A guy said he done the deal with torch with no problem, no it may not be the smartest thing to do but if it worked and it sounded like the guy that started the thread has already successfully pulled it off, why even bother bringing up its not good to do? It's too late now of there has been damage done, sounds like to me someone just had it out to try an get under someone's skin. I've always been one of those if you junk something the first time don't try it again....it's that thing called learning.

Bottom line it's Blake's money and if he wanted to try it it shouldn't matter to anyone else, especially when he already done it. By the time 450tt brought his smarts in it was already done. So why even bother? Gotta love a know it all.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=43-8yyCYoG0&feature=youtu.be

blacknblue#2
11-23-2014, 07:35 PM

I've worked in metals for years. If you know your metals and are smart with your torch then there is nothing wrong with this method at all for the sleeve removal only. The aluminum has a lot faster expansion rate than the steel sleeve. Your not putting any stress on anything this way by not using any force. When I worked in field service I removed and reinstalled many $1000+ bearings this way. It only takes about 250 degrees to expand most metals

CJM
11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
a machine shop bores the old sleeve out and presses the new sleeve in, evenly. you do not put an acetylene torch on an aluminum cylinder unless you want permanent damage.

What? So they bore out the entire sleeve and then press a new one in? Do you seriously read what you type? I know, I have a real question for ya.... how do you cut tie rods down?? Oh thats right..you couldnt figure it out. Give up the ruse..this is getting very old. They ban, you come back, and then you foam at the mouth and post to argue cause I cant possibly be right ever..then they ban you and you come back again. Do you seriously get your jollies off by bothering me? Cause if so, thats very sad and I feel sorry you lead such a sad and pathetic life. There is a reason they banned you on the org, hq and yfz central. Maybe I should call your step dads radio show and ask him why his step son is a mental case? In case anyone is wondering, this is Ryan Schaefer https://www.facebook.com/rlschaef aka ridinglow, aka 2001400exrida (remember this guy???), aka Ive forgotten all the names.. Jesus your over 30 years old by now..get a life!

I've worked in metals for years. If you know your metals and are smart with your torch then there is nothing wrong with this method at all for the sleeve removal only. The aluminum has a lot faster expansion rate than the steel sleeve. Your not putting any stress on anything this way by not using any force. When I worked in field service I removed and reinstalled many $1000+ bearings this way. It only takes about 250 degrees to expand most metals

Bingo!

zyoung04
11-23-2014, 09:45 PM

One the smartest men we know. His famous words are are...."all you gotta do is put a lil heat on it." Pretty sure he's taught you everything you know. Just don't go around him with bald tars either.

450rtt
11-24-2014, 07:00 AM

well said, but i won't put an acetylene torch on my cylinders. CJM what's with you and this Ryan guy? you've now posted his information like you're trying to stalk him or call him out?

step dads radio show? you've lost me there.

You seem to love putting out peoples information for no good reason, so i have a question for you. what's your facebook page, full name? step dads occupation? seems odd that you sit behind a keyboard and throw out personal information but yet you hide more than anyone. i would suggest moving out of the parents house sometime soon before they get a phone call from the local police stating that you are attempting to plagerize somebody's personal information in the form of slander and misuse.

this screenshot has been posted in a very large fb group in order to find your identity CJM. we're tight nit in this sport and I can tell you that ryan does not appreciate you posting info like this. I sent a pm to him this morning on fb letting him know.

DragonGunner
11-24-2014, 03:01 PM
well said, but i won't put an acetylene torch on my cylinders. CJM what's with you and this Ryan guy? you've now posted his information like you're trying to stalk him or call him out?

step dads radio show? you've lost me there.

You seem to love putting out peoples information for no good reason, so i have a question for you. what's your facebook page, full name? step dads occupation? seems odd that you sit behind a keyboard and throw out personal information but yet you hide more than anyone. i would suggest moving out of the parents house sometime soon before they get a phone call from the local police stating that you are attempting to plagerize somebody's personal information in the form of slander and misuse.

this screenshot has been posted in a very large fb group in order to find your identity CJM. we're tight nit in this sport and I can tell you that ryan does not appreciate you posting info like this. I sent a pm to him this morning on fb letting him know.

Ahhhh….the friends that say to other friends…"hey get on this forum and stir up trouble for me cause I got banned, I tell ya what to say……." so obvious its funny and actually entertaining……gotta be a boring life.

Hey if I was immature thats what I would do if I got banned, get a buddy to come on with their computer and pm back and forth what to say….I wouldn't leave the thread, I would keep making comments, keep stirring that pot….good laughs….."we're tight nit in this sport"……what….? LOL…..Keep boring those sleeves out of the cylinder….LMAO on that one.

blacknblue#2
11-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Ahhhh….the friends that say to other friends…"hey get on this forum and stir up trouble for me cause I got banned, I tell ya what to say……." so obvious its funny and actually entertaining……gotta be a boring life.

Hey if I was immature thats what I would do if I got banned, get a buddy to come on with their computer and pm back and forth what to say….I wouldn't leave the thread, I would keep making comments, keep stirring that pot….good laughs….."we're tight nit in this sport"……what….? LOL…..Keep boring those sleeves out of the cylinder….LMAO on that one.
Gotta give the jackace one thing. He keeps the forum exciting Haha.

zyoung04
11-26-2014, 02:24 AM
I seen something kinda like this on a movie once. Here's a clip of it if you fast forward in about 1:30 mins in you'll see what I mean.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbq6MeFZ-s

Stickman400
11-28-2014, 12:00 AM
ROFLMAO, good thing you came along, this forum was starting to get boring again.

chronicsmoke
11-28-2014, 01:31 PM
I seen something kinda like this on a movie once. Here's a clip of it if you fast forward in about 1:30 mins in you'll see what I mean.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbq6MeFZ-s

The similarities @ 2:00 are scary! ;)