View Full Version : 7 years and I finally broke third gear.

slightlybent47
10-30-2014, 11:58 AM
I had my ex built in 07 and went with a 416 12:1 stage II cam and 450 carb with race porting on the head.
She has been a beast and never failed to start and run great. In fact she still runs great, but third gear let go so now it rebuild time again.
This time I'm going to get Dee from Rage to work his magic and get her going again.
Of course he will fix the trany but I think while he has it I'll get him to do some head work and dyno it to see what we got.
Going to drop the motor off next week.
If any body can make it run, Dee can.
Cant wait to see the results.

400man
10-30-2014, 08:21 PM
so what all did it do? any case damage?

slightlybent47
10-30-2014, 09:43 PM
No damage at all, she runs fine till you hit third and you can hear the gears stripping, shift to forth and it runs fine again.
Its never leaked a drop of oil in 7 years and it has never smoked or burned oil.
The exhaust is still clean and clear, no smoke at all.
Its just third gear that seems to be stripped, pulls good it all the other gears.
I stopped riding it just in case loose pieces cause even more damage.
But with the hours it has on it, it may need more parts that are not in tolerance anymore.
We wont know till we get inside.
I don't think its a bent shiftier fork cus all the other gears work fine and it shifts good to.
The motor still runs strong even after all these years.

Trying to decide to just fix what need fixing and do it on a budget, or since it will be a Rage, I could have a little more work don to it.
I think everything is fine the way it is, but would like Dee to do his magic on the head.
He knows the 400's better then most, and I have competed with some of his 400's and they are quite faster then mine.

I may just go with the budget build for now, fix third gear and re ring it and tune it on the dyno.
Probably valves as well.
I have till next week to decide.

Dee will fix me up, lord knows I'v worked at his track enough for the past 8 years, Hill do me right.

DragonGunner
10-31-2014, 09:15 AM
I've worked and tore apart EX's transmissions….my money its not stripped teeth on the gear. I would suspect something wrong with the shift fork not engaging all the way and just slipping.

cheater13
10-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Yeah, my tranny is about due for a tear down. I'm going with an even bigger 426 build this winter so hopefully it can last me until next winter.

slightlybent47
10-31-2014, 10:14 PM
Well other then the tear down, that would be the cheapest fix I could hope fir.
Since I'm on a budget, it `may just fix what needs fixing and worry about some up grades later.

My dream bike would be a 450 frame with state of the art suspension and a killer 400ex motor.
Most of the tracks I ride are mostly technical without a lot of high speed straightaways.
my only problem is with short runways up to a jump, I'm ether in to low a gear or to high a gear, and it makes it almost impossible to clear. A little more power and a gear change might fix that.
Dee is on a hunting trip so it will be Monday till I can talk with him. I have his cell # but I'll wont bother him till he gets back. Everyone needs some down time.
The Ex frames are so wide and hard to move around on, The 450 are better to move around on the bike.