PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Apex 90 electric start

the norm
10-29-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm new to Apex quads. I got screaming deal on a apex 90 set up for flat track. I want to make a duner out of it for my son. He just out grew his lt80. Although he is big for a 7 year old, he isn't strong enough to kick start the quad. I need to know all the parts needed to add electric start. Thanks in advance. Loren

nastynotchback1
10-29-2014, 10:56 AM
All you need is the one way gear to go back behind the variator and the starter.You will need a battery.I would make my own wiring harness with a relay and starter button.The biggest issue you are going to run into is the fact that the battery box is probably been cut out so that the big aftermarket race pipe will fit.

the norm
10-29-2014, 02:39 PM
I won't have a problem fabing a battery box. I didn't know if I needed a rectifier or a generator. Was thinking of a led head light and tail light. Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. Loren

nastynotchback1
10-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Your right.That motor probably has a pvl in it and has no way to recharge a battery.

the norm
10-30-2014, 09:36 AM
I know it has an aftermarket ignition. Just not sure what it is. I'm still waiting for the previous owner to email me a "build sheet". So assuming it is a pvl will I be able to make it work? Or would I need to change ignitions?

nastynotchback1
10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
You will probably have to change the ignition but then it will not run like it should.Your gonna find in the end that it is best to just crank it for him until he builds up the leg muscle.Buy him a Koso kick starter.They are longer and make it easier to start.Also make sure it is tuned just right.That will help also.

nastynotchback1
10-30-2014, 10:45 AM
You will probably have to change the ignition but then it will not run like it should.Your gonna find in the end that it is best to just crank it for him until he builds up the leg muscle.Buy him a Koso kick starter.They are longer and make it easier to start.Also make sure it is tuned just right.That will help also.

nastynotchback1
10-30-2014, 12:26 PM

nastynotchback1
10-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Sorry about that triple post.Computer went crazy.

the norm
10-30-2014, 04:11 PM
It does take awhile to start. I think it might be a touch lean. It also idles very high. I had to back the idle screw out a long way.

nastynotchback1
10-31-2014, 06:17 AM
I would go over it.Probably a fresh ring,and new crank seals,then tune the carb.