PDA

View Full Version : Clutch!?

cheater13
10-13-2014, 08:45 AM
I don't post here too much but I have a problem and need recommendations from you folks.. I'm gunna try and make a long story short but when my clutch in my 426ex heats up, it barely engages anymore.

I drag race and it lasts me a 300' run and when I'm at the end of the track, my clutch is gone. I can pull it in and it'll keep moving. I had a lockout and it put two holes in my clutch hub so we replaced that and took the lockout out for the rest of the season. We made a custom clutch arm since I have a case spacer on to fit the lockout though. Just so the cable isn't pulled side to side due to the case spacer and the stock clutch arm being too short.

That still didn't fix it so I threw away my junk Motion Pro clutch cable and put my 4 year old one back in. Worked better but still did it bad. I have no adjustment left down below and the adjustment on the handlebars is completely cranked out.

I also have a new Driveline clutch kit I ordered but didn't install it because people saying it's junk. It came with heavy duty clutch springs. Right now my current setup is stock 4 year old clutch cable, stock clutch springs, stock 4 year old clutch that is still in good shape.

The basket has very little grooving so I don't think it's that. I'll probably go Barnett or Hinson this winter though. But I've been told to order a brand new OEM clutch cable and put my heavy duty springs in from the other kit. I'll have to get the 2 day shipping off rockymountain since I have a race this Friday. $35 for a dang stock cable! I rather have that than Motion Pro though.

So I'll have a new cable and heavier springs. Think that'll help? I lost the class I was in 2nd place all year due to not being able to run this thing for a double points day and it SUCKED!

Stickman400
10-13-2014, 01:06 PM
OEM cable is the best way to go, I've had nothing but problems with Motion Pro aswell. For your application I'd say the HD springs are the best bet for drag racing, but the OEM springs are the best for trails and general riding. I'd say even if the basket is slightly grooved, buy a new one. You can try to file the grooves out, but if you think they're too deep to mess with then I'd say it's time for a new basket. Even slight grooving can make a big difference, my 450s basket wasn't grooved too bad, but it slipped like crazy even with the clutch cable adjusted perfect, and it only got worse when it heated up. My 400 is due for one also, still on the stock basket and it's getting to be the same way.

DragonGunner
10-13-2014, 03:05 PM
My 99' EX that has the dog crap ran out of it still has the stock clutch. When I got it in 2000 I put White Brothers heavy duty clutch springs in it. Only thing I've had to do it replace the clutch cable. Usually get the cheap Motion Pro, works good and lasts about 2 yrs.

cheater13
10-14-2014, 01:02 PM
OEM cable is the best way to go, I've had nothing but problems with Motion Pro aswell. For your application I'd say the HD springs are the best bet for drag racing, but the OEM springs are the best for trails and general riding. I'd say even if the basket is slightly grooved, buy a new one. You can try to file the grooves out, but if you think they're too deep to mess with then I'd say it's time for a new basket. Even slight grooving can make a big difference, my 450s basket wasn't grooved too bad, but it slipped like crazy even with the clutch cable adjusted perfect, and it only got worse when it heated up. My 400 is due for one also, still on the stock basket and it's getting to be the same way.
Yeah I went ahead and ordered one yesterday. Should be here Thursday. And yeah, I ordered a Driveline clutch kit but ended up putting my stock in. I'll just take the HD springs from that kit and put in with the stock clutch. I'm hoping this basket will last me the rest of the season. I only have 2 more races. Then I'll grab a Hinson.

My 99' EX that has the dog crap ran out of it still has the stock clutch. When I got it in 2000 I put White Brothers heavy duty clutch springs in it. Only thing I've had to do it replace the clutch cable. Usually get the cheap Motion Pro, works good and lasts about 2 yrs.
Must be a hit or miss thing with them cables. Mine didn't last 4 months until it was stretched. Maybe it was because my lockout, not sure though. That cable was stretched though.

KKiowaTJ
10-14-2014, 06:44 PM
I got 14yrs out of the stock clutch cable and the throttle is just now starting to have resistance. I have always felt the extra $15 to? for OEM is worth it in this area.
The HD clutch springs might bring back some pressure so the clutch will engage and disengage again. Since you have a power house, The extra disc might not be a bad route. If that's a hinson, Never mind lol.

I don't have any first hand knowledge to, But have herd and that's why I went with a EBC DRC-F, Was the Kevlar in Barnett fibers break and cause more trouble. Who knows, I played it safe with a clutch I can fan like a 2 stroke that I was told should last a bit longer with my abuse. Good luck either way

cheater13
10-15-2014, 08:53 AM
I got 14yrs out of the stock clutch cable and the throttle is just now starting to have resistance. I have always felt the extra $15 to? for OEM is worth it in this area.
The HD clutch springs might bring back some pressure so the clutch will engage and disengage again. Since you have a power house, The extra disc might not be a bad route. If that's a hinson, Never mind lol.

I don't have any first hand knowledge to, But have herd and that's why I went with a EBC DRC-F, Was the Kevlar in Barnett fibers break and cause more trouble. Who knows, I played it safe with a clutch I can fan like a 2 stroke that I was told should last a bit longer with my abuse. Good luck either way

That cable is gunna be here today. Rockymountainatv sure has some killer shipping! But yeah I hope them springs and that new cable will get me through until I can get a Hinson basket since I'm still running a stock basket.

But what do you mean extra disk? And I think I'm going to get either another new stock clutch (even though mine isn't wore out too bad) for next year or some EBC clutch plates. I heard Dirt Digger was a good setup too, but not sure.

I want to have around 55hp with my 426ex for next year. I would cry if I could squeeze 60 out of it though. ;)

KKiowaTJ
10-15-2014, 09:18 PM
That cable is gunna be here today. Rockymountainatv sure has some killer shipping! But yeah I hope them springs and that new cable will get me through until I can get a Hinson basket since I'm still running a stock basket.

But what do you mean extra disk? And I think I'm going to get either another new stock clutch (even though mine isn't wore out too bad) for next year or some EBC clutch plates. I heard Dirt Digger was a good setup too, but not sure.

I want to have around 55hp with my 426ex for next year. I would cry if I could squeeze 60 out of it though. ;)

I thought I read around here that a different basket and clutch from X company allowed an extra steel and friction. Then again, Could have been 450r related or pit bike. Ill look and see if I can find a link or if it was another machine all together.

KKiowaTJ
10-15-2014, 09:28 PM
http://www.duncanracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=H056-H084

Here is another way that's cheaper I had marked, 'Anyone wanting to go to a 8-Plate Clutch keep all stock components and order (8-Fibers)Honda part#2201-MAL-600, and (7 Steels)Honda part#22321-KFO-770. Also order the springs from the XR-250. Clutch basket, pressure plate and hub can stay stock. No need to go Hinson until it breaks'.
I just copied and pasted it, Not my #'s or info!

NM, Its the hinson 8 plate basket and plate, Im sure that's the hinson you were referring to. Sounds like what you need creeping on 60hp!

cheater13
10-16-2014, 08:21 AM
http://www.duncanracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=H056-H084

Here is another way that's cheaper I had marked, 'Anyone wanting to go to a 8-Plate Clutch keep all stock components and order (8-Fibers)Honda part#2201-MAL-600, and (7 Steels)Honda part#22321-KFO-770. Also order the springs from the XR-250. Clutch basket, pressure plate and hub can stay stock. No need to go Hinson until it breaks'.
I just copied and pasted it, Not my #'s or info!

NM, Its the hinson 8 plate basket and plate, Im sure that's the hinson you were referring to. Sounds like what you need creeping on 60hp!
Sweet, thanks man. The question is.... Wonder if this will work with my lockout? I see the kit from that website says to use the stock clutch springs too.

KKiowaTJ
10-16-2014, 09:33 AM
That im not too sure about. Maybe some searching might net something. I was just thinking along the lines of how to get more than a run and another disc in there lol. At double HP, The stock has held up great from what I have read and you're slips.

cheater13
10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
That im not too sure about. Maybe some searching might net something. I was just thinking along the lines of how to get more than a run and another disc in there lol. At double HP, The stock has held up great from what I have read and you're slips.

I might call that company later today. But I only have 46hp right now. It was perfectly fine all year until now. Maybe stuff just needs replaced. But this winter I want to buy a good/solid clutch setup for what I'm doing with the 400.

Stickman400
10-18-2014, 10:01 PM
GT Thunder's 8 plate kit is still available also, comes with a new machined pressure plate, $280: http://www.p4quads.com/trx400exstud2.html

cheater13
10-20-2014, 07:19 AM
GT Thunder's 8 plate kit is still available also, comes with a new machined pressure plate, $280: http://www.p4quads.com/trx400exstud2.html
Sweet, I'll probably get that this winter!

But I have a little update here. Replaced the clutch cable with the new one and put in HD springs and it sucks even worse now. Adjustment is fully out on the bottom and wheel on top is on it's last few threads. Now it slips sometimes randomly.

Then I was testing in grass and I had to adjust the little wheel adjuster on top the whole way in and it actually sat still and didn't move any! But about 10 minutes later I had to adjust it the whole way out again because it kept moving.

I have a race this Friday night and next Saturday is the last.. I hope it can make it though it. We don't have a clue what's going on.

KKiowaTJ
10-20-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm starting to think maybe a bad batch of cables! My new cable is on its last adjustment and seemed to play with it more, seems to come and go. But my clutch itself finally burnt in and is not popping out of gear or slipping, just cable issues.
The 8disc GT is most likely going to be the fix. Stock held up decent for ya for many runs.

cheater13
10-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm starting to think maybe a bad batch of cables! My new cable is on its last adjustment and seemed to play with it more, seems to come and go. But my clutch itself finally burnt in and is not popping out of gear or slipping, just cable issues.
The 8disc GT is most likely going to be the fix. Stock held up decent for ya for many runs.
I wish it was but the one I just put on is one right from Honda. Mine won't shift into 2nd unless I'm moving, lol. We think it has something to do with the clutch pin since mine is a custom one. Still don't know though. Guess I'll see how I do at the race tomorrow night.

But yeah I'm going to get that kit if it works good with the lockout. I was even thinking about a hydraulic clutch system but don't know anyone that runs them on a 400ex.

cheater13
10-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Last Friday night's race sucked. Got kicked out of one of my classes from my own teammate since I ran faster than the time limit.

Other classes my clutch shifted fine (last thread of adjustment) but it slipped like crazy. I dropped my last class due to that.

So Saturday has a double header race I'm going to. Last one of the year. I regeared some. We're putting in new clutch plates and my buddy is going to try and file out some of the grooves in the basket.

slightlybent47
10-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Been running the stock clutch and cable for ever, never had a problem. I've seen many switch to a Henson thinking it would be better. They replace clutches all the time, and my stock clutch is still working fine.

cheater13
10-31-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm sticking to an oem cable and going with a Hinson basket this winter.

DragonGunner
10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
In 2000 when I picked up my 99' EX there was the buzz that everyone needed a Hinson set up. I called out to Nevada to see how much for one, the guys shop was a guy who was in the first Heuvoes video, that asked why I was going to Hinson and told them. They had the set up to sell me, but told me I was wasting my money, the OEM was great, all they said and recommended to me was White Brothers heavy duty clutch springs. Had the HD springs in there since and still original clutch pads, plates, basket…..just gotta replace the cable now and then. Still running strong…..just saying.

cheater13
10-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Yeah but I run a lockout and I want to push around 55-60hp with a 426. All motor. I'm definitely going with the Hinson basket. I have Driveline HD springs in now.

But you guys should see the inside of the basket! Grooved like a mofo! My buddy filed out the outer edges where it was alittle grooved. He sent me a picture and the inside where the plates sit is BAD.

Stickman400
11-01-2014, 10:38 PM
A couple of my buddies have the Magura hydraulic setup and say they like it. Fade proof and never needs adjustment. I've thought bout going to one but you need quite a bit of room underneath the header to get it to fit and I don't think I'll have enough.

cheater13
11-03-2014, 01:51 PM
A couple of my buddies have the Magura hydraulic setup and say they like it. Fade proof and never needs adjustment. I've thought bout going to one but you need quite a bit of room underneath the header to get it to fit and I don't think I'll have enough.

Yeah, I'll just replace all of my clutch components and start fresh for next year since racing is done. Clutch held out good with the smoothed out grooves and the washer on the clutch pin. It just squeeled every time I pulled the clutch in due to the clutch pin spinning inside the washer.