PDA

View Full Version : Possible to weld crack in crankcase?

not2hi
03-23-2003, 09:26 AM
After trying to locate an oil leak on our 300EX, I finally found a crack in the left side crankcase housing (not the crankcase cover, but the housing itself). Is it possible to weld this to repair it or is replacement necessary?

Its not bad enough that the part is $260 (not counting all the gaskets and misc crap), but the time and energy to completely tear down and rebuild the engine is something I'd rather not have to do.

Thanks..:ermm:

300exazzkikr
03-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Anything can be welded just gotta find the right guy to do it.

honda250xrider
03-23-2003, 10:08 AM
you could try a quick fix for awhile jb weld might do the trick if the crack is small enough

03-23-2003, 10:42 AM
it can be done just make sure the person who does it is good.

DEAL
03-23-2003, 10:55 AM
You can weld cases, I cracked the case on my trx125 because i cracked it due to my stupidity.
When i had it welded it was welded crookid and it ended up ruining my tranny.
But if its welded RIGHT you shouldn't have a problem.

not2hi
03-23-2003, 11:27 AM
its a hairline crack right near the bolt head of the lower front frame mount. You can barely see it, but it's there. As a quick cheep fix, I have some exhaust repair stuff similar to JB weld I may try. I know it works great on exhausts, and it should hold up well with the heat.

Back to the real welding...I guess I need to look for someone with aluminum welding experience? I would even hope they could do it while the engine is still in the frame, but that may be asking a bit too much.

Thanks again for the replies...now i don't feel nearly so poor.

nakomis0
03-23-2003, 12:42 PM
I'd try JB weld, its a super cheap fix. I have welded atleast half a dozen misc. leaking items with that stuff and had good results most of the time.

nastynotchback1
03-23-2003, 12:53 PM
i use to do exahust for a living and i can tell you now that muffler cement will not hold up for 2 seconds.it gets brittle when it sets up.just have some one tig weld it.