PDA

View Full Version : trx 400x bar setups

Warthog35
09-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Been trolling for a while now, and you guys have some pretty sick 400 setups. I just got off of a 2002 Kawasaki KX250 smoker and am now playing with the whole quad thing. I just got a 2013 400x and I have to have cycra probends and a set off fatbars put on. Heres the question how do I go about doing it? Do I need risers to do the fatbars? Or is there a way to get regular fatbars in a quad bend and then mount up some probends? Heres a pic and list of the mods so far.1718109193 ps its definitely no 250 two stroke.

Rock front bumper
Rock beadlocks
tusk chasis skid plate
ugly cycra m2 handguards
itp holeshot fronts
rzr copies on the rear
moose case saver

slightlybent47
09-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the site.
Not sure but they may come with there own mounting clamps or you may need to buy separate ones.
Just dont think those fat bars are gonna hold up if you flip it over.
400lb+ bikes tend to bend any kind of bars when they land upside down.

Warthog35
09-29-2014, 07:44 PM
No doubt if it lands bottoms up the bars are toast. But after trying diffrent bars and other cheap *** bark busters on my bikes the best setup I went with was renthal fatbars "mx bend" and cycra probend guards wich were awesome. But what im curious about is the type of bend I would need on a set for a quad. Id like the bars slightly lower do to shoulder injuries from the military. Im thinking the CR hi bends and the bark busters. What im not sure about though is if I would need risers and if id have to go with the center reach probends. Thanks im fairly new to the whole massive amount of electrical and other things after being so used to a 250 two stroke dirt bike and the ease of maintenance and easy to rebuild motor. And a side note for those who say 450r race quad I say no thanks. The 400 air cooled motor was my only thumper option do to its notorious reliability if properly maintained. ive had the modern 4t high performance bikes a crf 250r and kx250f and I down right hated the hassle of them compared to a two stroke but thats just me. Dream quad would be dropping a trx 250r motor in my 400x frame.

Warthog35
09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
1718109194Heres a pic of my kx250 I sold. Loved this build.

MtnEX
09-30-2014, 08:44 PM
My advice to you is call ATV Fourplay and Fasst Company about soft bars and flexx bars.

Talk to them about your injuries, your preferences on height and sweep and what the bars are going on and they can help you out. Costs more but will help with your injuries. Well worth it.

MtnEX
09-30-2014, 08:45 PM
My advice to you is call ATV Fourplay and Fasst Company about soft bars and flexx bars.

Talk to them about your injuries, your preferences on height and sweep and what the bars are going on and they can help you out. Costs more but will help with your injuries. Well worth it.

Fix29
10-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Just dont think those fat bars are gonna hold up if you flip it over.
400lb+ bikes tend to bend any kind of bars when they land upside down.

Just from my extensive personal experiences, these bikes bend steering stems before they bend bars. However, that hasn't happened since I got my Houser stem.

slightlybent47
10-01-2014, 09:05 AM
I like the stock bend bars with no cross bar. The cross bar makes the bars to stiff. the stock bars don't have the cross bar and it allows for some flexing without having to pay extra price for flax bars.
I dont like flex bars, they make the steering feel lose and unstable.
I do like the lower bar height since i'm only 5'11''.
I'm sure with seat time most bars will feel good once you get use to it.

KKiowaTJ
10-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Im 6'4 and love the Carmichael bend! Its pretty much straight across and rise is nill. Kinda like drag bars on a Harley. I too, Don't feel comfortable with the flex bars, Makes the front feel too loose IMO.
Unless you want to buy a new stem the holds the 1 1/4" bars, Just buy some cheap adapters that mount into the current 7/8's mount. It will cause the bars to sit a bit higher, But the RC bend is almost un-noticeable with the adapters. Another good bar bend is the YZ high bend, Very comparable to the RC. Good luck either way

Warthog35
10-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. Fasst bars just arent for me I had my hands on a set yesterday. Reason for fatbars is do to I like them and the cycra probends for 1 1/8 bars are nice. Im not worried about bending the bars and when the stem goes I have a spare oem on hand for a 05 400ex. Ill look into a houser stem after that. But I dont race and should get some good time out of my stem. The other reason for fatbars and the lower bend is I like how they dont bother my injuries as much. I think I found the setup though. Im going with a 1" riser fat bar clamp and renthal fatbars in the cr bend after being able to get some hand time on a set yesterday. Now I just need to relocate my ignition swich and indicator lights. I just picked me up a uni filter and a pro armor swing arm skid. Im leaning towards a big guns es slip on and bg header this winter. Slowly but surely. My main priority was getting it armored, were I ride the rocks are nasty. WV mountain area.

MtnEX
10-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah I had the same opinion after riding 3 different bikes with flexx bars on them. Sucky, sloppy, etc etc. Hated them.

Then about 6 months ago another guy I knew decided to try them. We talked. He call in his order and said look, I ain't gonna know what to do with all those different choices on the bar setup. I want them to come how you would set them up and all I want to do is bolt them on like a regular set of bars... else, that's what I am going to do... buy regular bars.

They came, he mounted them. I tried them and loved them. I don't know what setup it is but it's not sloppy. You don't notice anything different until you are hauling (I race XC) through a really rough place. You don't really feel anything other than a reduction in the usual shock you would feel in the rough chop. It's like it erases that stuff.

Some people also like the Precision Shock and Vibe clamps, which is another option that solves the bar clamp situation going to fat bars as well as offering some shock reduction.

CJM
10-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Depending on the elastomers they put in the bars it can be stiff until you really get on it or soft as heck.