PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Nut

jrb737
09-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Hello all, I had a quick question about re-installing a rear axle nut on my 400ex. After replacing my bearing carrier I went with a Mod Quad single axle nut in place of my old stock one. Both do the same thing that I have a question about. When I tighten the nut over the circular clip on the axle the entire axle becomes difficult to rotate the more I tighten it as the threaded cylinder pushes itself against the rotor housing. Does this sound right or should the axle turn freely no matter how tight I tighten this nut? Should I just screw the nut over the axle clip w/o tightening it too much, leaving the axle to rotate easily, and then use the supplied allen bolts to lock the nut in place?

Hope this makes sense!

Thank you for any advise!!

Jeff

samm3020
09-09-2014, 09:30 AM
I think I have the same nut. I just use the supplied wrench/bar thing and get it pretty tight but still allow free rotation on the axle. I then loctite and use the set screws. I check it every now and then and don't really have issues.

I do believe that it is possible to over tighten the bearings, causing side loading and premature wear.

jrb737
09-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Got it thank you. I just tightened it w/ the supplied tool until it was pretty firm. I think the manual calls for about 65 ft. lbs of torque. Even though the axle was hard to spin by hand w/o the wheels on it, it rolls just fine once I put the wheels on and got it back on the ground. Glad to hear yours is working well. This seems to be a much better set up than the stock locking nut.