PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming from around front sprocket

big_poppa49
09-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Is there a bearing back there behind the front sprocket? Think that would cause oil to come from around it? This is actually on my sons TRX90 but I see there is little to no traffic in those forums so I was hoping to get an answer here.

I just replaced the rear axle bearings today because they were badly worn out. My son have rode it about an hour total since I replaced the bearings today and when he parked it I noticed a decent amount of motor oil sitting in the chain guard, I followed it all the way up to around the front sprocket.

What causes this? And does the motor have to be tore down to replace/fix whatever it is?

Thanks in advance

DragonGunner
09-09-2014, 02:36 PM
On most quads and bikes, you will need to order and sprocket seal kit, there most likely is a outer seal, and a sleeve that fit over the sprocket spindles and goes into the seal. You should take off sprocket and be able to see. I just replaced one on my KTM motor, used a allen wrench to pop out seal, and tapped a new one in with hammer and right size socket, then slide the sleeve inside and put sprocket back on.

CJM
09-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Try cleaning it with carb clean first, sometimes getting all the dirt off will make it stop leaking.