PDA

View Full Version : Engine Builders in the N.VA or Md. area?

kaneman23
03-23-2003, 03:34 AM
Anyone know of any builders in N.Va or Md? I want to get a 416 kit and some headwork done on my bike. Thanks,

Justin

EHSRACING
03-23-2003, 03:42 AM
hey this is a littel bit of a trip but i just took mine to a guy in binghamton ny which is about 15miles above the pa border on inst. 81 he going to due my hole engine stage 2 hot cams new valves clutch a real good porting job boring out to a 426 all new gaskets going through my carb all for $800 including parts which is super cheap i think and i have heard nothing but good stuff about his work he is just a local gut but he says he has done almost 50 400ex engines he really seems to know what he is talking about and is a nice guy if you want anymore info let me know THANKS ERIC

GrounD PoundeR
03-23-2003, 04:40 AM
There is also TC located out of Warren, PA one of the best engine builders there is. He may take a little longer getting the engine back to you, but sometimes when a guy is backed up for a couple months is a good sign that people want him to build there engines.

Or do like I did. I got a Honda Manual and am installing a TC 425 Kit myself with a TC cam. Then all you need to do is find a machine shop to bore your sleeve. Its not that hard to do, and is a good experience to see how your engine is put together. I'm kind of glad I'm doing it myself and am learning alot by doing it.

RED121572
03-23-2003, 04:53 AM
I couldnt agree with ground pounder more. Doing the motor work yourself will give you some sense of acomplishment as well save you about 500 bucks in labor charges.

Remembering when I first unbolted mine, I was very intimated. I followed the shop manual step by step and everything turned out fine.

Good luck with your project and let us know how things go!! Another source that might know an engine builder in your area, 4punks. He lives in Northern Va also.

If this helps, GT thunder is in southern Ohio. Check em out on the web sometime.

EHSRACING
03-23-2003, 05:10 AM
YEAH IF ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS GET A NEW PISTON AND A CAM JUST GET A MANUAL AND TAKE IT ON BUT IF YOU GO INTO PORTING I WOULD TAKE IT TO SOMEBODY THAT HAS EXPERIENCE

GrounD PoundeR
03-23-2003, 05:17 AM
If you read all the post you will see I said about taking it to a machine shop for boring & port/polish. I was told you can increase your hp by 10% if ported and polished correctly or you can lose the same if done wrong. I chose to let someone with alot more experience in that area to do it.

RED121572
03-23-2003, 05:20 AM
Oh yea, dont do the porting yourself.:D

Whoever does the porting for you, ask if does it by way of a flowbench. If not, you may want to take your business elsewhere.

kaneman23
03-23-2003, 06:13 AM
The thought of doing it myself has crossed my mind. I'm just concerned about having the clearances perfect Also, would it be wise to get new valve seals? Should I ship my head out to have this done?

kaneman23
03-23-2003, 06:14 AM
That's a little too far for me to drive.. I'm trying to avoid shipping charges. Thanks for the help anyhow though..

ChadEXer
03-24-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by RED121572
Oh yea, dont do the porting yourself.:D

Whoever does the porting for you, ask if does it by way of a flowbench. If not, you may want to take your business elsewhere.
I dont know about that. A builder with a flow bench is going to charge you 4 or $500. Some will do it for cheaper but I would even be afraid of those. There is a guy here who doesnt have a flow bench but has a LOT of knowledge about engines and has done quite a bit of work for me and some friends, and nontheless we have been very impressed every time. Its the same guy that will be porting\polishig Ground Pounders bike, and he is a good friend so hes cheap too:)

oynot400
03-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Give Mike at For Dirt Only a call. He will port your head and get the parts that you want. ;) He is in Johnstown Ohio, very good guy to do business with. He will work with you if you want to assemble it yourself. That is what I did on my stroker. :D
Mikes # 740-967-1078. Tell him that Tony in Iowa told you to call.

ChadEXer
03-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
I dont know about that. A builder with a flow bench is going to charge you 4 or $500. Some will do it for cheaper but I would even be afraid of those. There is a guy here who doesnt have a flow bench but has a LOT of knowledge about engines and has done quite a bit of work for me and some friends, and nontheless we have been very impressed every time. Its the same guy that will be porting\polishig Ground Pounders bike, and he is a good friend so hes cheap too:)
OK, well thats if your on a budget,,,but me, I wouldnt have anybody but a Pro engine builder do mine!;)

EHSRACING
03-24-2003, 10:42 AM
the guy that i mentioned earlier that going to do my complete engine, porting and all, is only going to charge me $800 for everything with parts and labor and he has a flow bench. belive me i was sceptical at first im not going to give my engine to some yahoo and let him start hacking on it i did some homework and have heard very good stuff about him and his is a honda certiefied tech all this for $800 i think is extremely cheap if anybody wants some info on him let me know i will post after i get my engine back to let everybody know how it works

ChadEXer
03-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by EHSRACING
the guy that i mentioned earlier that going to do my complete engine, porting and all, is only going to charge me $800 for everything with parts and labor and he has a flow bench. belive me i was sceptical at first im not going to give my engine to some yahoo and let him start hacking on it i did some homework and have heard very good stuff about him and his is a honda certiefied tech all this for $800 i think is extremely cheap if anybody wants some info on him let me know i will post after i get my engine back to let everybody know how it works

QUOTE81 he going to due my hole engine stage 2 hot cams new valves clutch a real good porting job boring out to a 426 all new gaskets going through my carb all for $800 including parts which is super cheap i think and i have heard nothing but good stuff about his work he is just a local gut but he says he has done almost 50 400ex engines he really seems to know what he is talking about and is a nice guy if you want anymore info let me knowQUOTE

If I was you I would reconsider sending anything to him. A "good" port\polish with a flow bench takes several hours to complete,,the absolute lowest a builder with a flow bench,,,that almost knows what hes doing, has ever charged that ive heard of is $300....The Pro guys charge $400 or $500. There is no way hes doing your carb, valves, clutch, port\polish, bore, and installation for $800. If he is doing it all for $800 then he is obviously taking short cuts! Either he is lying to you or you are lying to us. It would cost over $800 in parts alone. Unless he dosnt value his time very much and is going to spend hours almost free!!