PDA

View Full Version : 450r starter clutch?

hondadude101
07-21-2014, 07:27 PM
got an 06 r and my starter clutch is squeeling, not sure if its the clutch going out or not, i put a hotcam in it a while back and not sure if i wound the decomp spring correctly, could that slip the clutch? I know they are prone to fail, I have changed several but never on my own bike. Not sure what to think on the symptoms. thanks

DnB_racing
07-24-2014, 06:51 PM
got an 06 r and my starter clutch is squeeling, not sure if its the clutch going out or not, i put a hotcam in it a while back and not sure if i wound the decomp spring correctly, could that slip the clutch? I know they are prone to fail, I have changed several but never on my own bike. Not sure what to think on the symptoms. thanksif the starter clutch is squealing then yes its going bad... the decompression spring has nothing to do with the clutch,
the only thing that might put a strain on the starter clutch is if you raised your starting compression, take a compression reading to make sure its less then 65psi, the book calls for around 55 at the stock valve clearance, but when I added kick starter to mine I upped the starting compression to70 psi, and when I use the E start it works fine but I also have 24volt start

but a very high starting compression can cause the oneway clutch to slip and make noise..

just another reason I like my 250r better LOL