PDA

View Full Version : LT80 speed help

Astrobass
07-12-2014, 04:32 PM
My son's LT80 is having some top end issues. He's 65 lbs, and the fastest we can get it to, is 24 mph. I feel like something is amiss. It runs like a champ, but here's the thing. When he rides it, and comes to a stop, it tries to keep going at idle. It's all the footbrake can do to stop it, and sometimes it can't. Seems like something is wrong in the clutch, but I'm not sure. I took the side case off today, and everything in there looks brand new, 2003 model, but that don't mean anything. Maybe 24-25 is all these can do and it's fine, I don't know? I've got plans to take the clutches off next weekend and shave the weights and remove 2 rollers. I also have plans to go to a 420 pitch chain, and go up a tooth on the front sprocket. Maybe that will cure my issue, I don't know. I've talked with Jack on his stage 2 and national motor, but not sure I want to go that far, or just buy a drr/apex.

LT80
07-14-2014, 06:15 AM
I just clocked a stage 2 motor at 30mph (with stock pipe). 25 is about right for stock.
The clutch mods won't make it faster.

Astrobass
07-14-2014, 06:46 AM
I just clocked a stage 2 motor at 30mph (with stock pipe). 25 is about right for stock.
The clutch mods won't make it faster.

Thanks Jack. 30 mph stage 2, that's about what I'm looking to get out of it on top end. I've finally got it running good though, just needs that top end boost. I'll be in touch with you later this fall. Thanks again!