PDA

View Full Version : in bad need of some carb advice

iwannagofaster
07-05-2014, 04:31 PM
recently put a new to me carb on my 03 ran it for a bit and seen gas pouring out the overflow so tore it down cleaned it re-assembled and same thing so i replaced floats and float valve still leaks not nearly as bad but still leaks so im looking for any and all suggestions....i bought the carb on ebay and have messaged the seller to see about a refund but im figuring it wont happen so figured it made sense to look for suggestions on what to try next.....thanks in advance for any help

slightlybent47
07-05-2014, 05:11 PM
I know it's a pain in the butt, but I would take it apart and try again.You may have missed something.
In the mean time I'd search for another one.

iwannagofaster
07-05-2014, 06:38 PM
i have tore it down so many times trying to figure it out i can do it in my sleep i wanna order a all new carb but price is a little steep for me right now

CJM
07-05-2014, 07:51 PM
gas coming out of the overflow is the float needle and or float. Interesting that you replaced it and it keeps doing it. Have you also checked to see if your gas valve shuts off? If not it could possibly lead to overfueling .

What was wrong with the original carb?

iwannagofaster
07-05-2014, 08:16 PM
choke was messed up so got a used one on ebay

slightlybent47
07-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I run a 450 carb, maybe you can find a used 450 carb.
Take it apart again and find the overflow tube thats over flowing.
as you work the float valve up and down, blow on the tube. you should be able to tell when the needle valve shuts off and on.
The needle may be fine but the seal that it seats against may be bad.

I don't run a choke on mine. I removed the choke plate all together and she starts just fine without it. I've never needed the choke.

CJM
07-05-2014, 11:13 PM
As in the choke lever or mechanism? Cause you can actually swap the entire thing out from carb to carb.

iwannagofaster
07-05-2014, 11:59 PM
plate and everything..........i went back into my garage again after starting this post and tore it down one more time and meticulously cleaned everything made sure the floats were moving freely and everything was the way it should be and when i put it all back together and got it back on the quad i opened the gas valve and it leaked for about 2 seconds and then stopped so i started the motor got it up to temp just letting it idle thought i was out of the woods till i turned it off and it started leaking again so at that point i had to walk away for the night i really dont know what else to do outside of buy a brand new carb im wondering if the sleeve were the float valve rides has a chunk taken out of it or something

slightlybent47
07-06-2014, 02:35 AM
There have been many times when I've gotten frustrated at something that isn't working like it should and everything I do doesn't work.
Come in the next day and things seem to misterisly work rite again.

I was lucky in that the racing organization I ride with has many great dependable people that have lots of used parts.
A 450 carb should work, even on a stock motor.

I'd sell you my old one but i'm holding on to it in case I need it some day.
Carbs can be frustrating sometimes.

DragonGunner
07-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Theres a screw at bottom of float bowl to drain the carb, it opens up the overflow. If that isn't tight your leak may be from there....did you take it out and clean that real good and then put back in tight? Did you REPLACE the float needle, that thingy with the rubber point on the end?

iwannagofaster
07-06-2014, 09:08 AM
yeah i went to my local parts dealer and bought a oe honda float

iwannagofaster
07-06-2014, 09:14 AM
float valve sorry.....i changed the float assembly to

Blodg
07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
It sounds like you have most of it covered. What about checking (measuring) the float height?

iwannagofaster
07-10-2014, 11:28 AM
never really thought about that......anyone on here ever see a carb leak out the overflow when the hose clamp between the backside of the carb and the air box is loosened? through all of this battle i had mine loosened up and it was just pouring out