View Full Version : WTB 400ex slip on

skank21
07-03-2014, 11:16 PM
im open to anything...... let me know 605-208-4877

thanks
joe

slightlybent47
07-05-2014, 01:08 AM
If your looking or expecting a big horse power gain from just a slip on mod. You will be disappointed and you will have wasted your money.
For a stock motor a slip on pipe is the biggest rip off in the ATV market.
An average of 400 dollars for a pipe and under the best conditions you may only see a 2-3 HP gain. And thats with a built motor.
Adding a slip on is best used in combination with other mods, if the bike is stock, you wont see any real difference.
It will sound better though.

And please,please,please dont replace the air filter with an after market one like K&N.
The stock filter is the best for any motor "bar none"
I have a built race motor and I still run the stock air filter.

Consider noise, The stock pipe will be quieter then ANY after market pipe you can buy, though they weigh a ton.
Some slip on's dont have spark arestors on them so consider that when you buy.

If your trying to make it faster, just push the throttle down some more and hold it there longer.
Most people are not even using the power they have.
If your not keeping it pinned 90% of the time, you don't need more power.

If you just want one, thats ok, we understand. Just don't be expecting to bolt on a pipe and expect it to be any different.

skank21
07-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Yep I hear ya I'm diesel tech. I got hmf for $140, used but in good shape

Thanks
Joe

slightlybent47
07-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Hey, used is good! I have many used parts on my bike. Nothing wrong with that at all.
It is upsetting to have to pay 400 bucks for a pipe thats only 2 foot long for my bike but for the same 400 bucks I can get a whole new exhaust system for my truck.
Glad to here you got a good deal on one and you didn't have to pay full price.

DragonGunner
07-08-2014, 04:52 PM
If your looking or expecting a big horse power gain from just a slip on mod. You will be disappointed and you will have wasted your money.
For a stock motor a slip on pipe is the biggest rip off in the ATV market.
An average of 400 dollars for a pipe and under the best conditions you may only see a 2-3 HP gain. And thats with a built motor.
Adding a slip on is best used in combination with other mods, if the bike is stock, you wont see any real difference.
It will sound better though.

And please,please,please dont replace the air filter with an after market one like K&N.
The stock filter is the best for any motor "bar none"
I have a built race motor and I still run the stock air filter.

Consider noise, The stock pipe will be quieter then ANY after market pipe you can buy, though they weigh a ton.
Some slip on's dont have spark arestors on them so consider that when you buy.

If your trying to make it faster, just push the throttle down some more and hold it there longer.
Most people are not even using the power they have.
If your not keeping it pinned 90% of the time, you don't need more power.

If you just want one, thats ok, we understand. Just don't be expecting to bolt on a pipe and expect it to be any different.

Well crapola...I bought a K&N and been racing with it for 14 yrs now....come to think of it the WB Exhaust that I bought for 275.00 14 yrs. ago is still on it also...LOL.

slightlybent47
07-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Well yeah! Things have gone up a bit in 14 years.
What kind of racing and how many rebuilds have you done in 14 years of running a K&N?
14 years of racing is kinda vague, How many races per year, and how much practice?
You've been racing 14 years and you just joined ATV riders in 2010? :huh

DragonGunner
07-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Well yeah! Things have gone up a bit in 14 years.
What kind of racing and how many rebuilds have you done in 14 years of running a K&N?
14 years of racing is kinda vague, How many races per year, and how much practice?
You've been racing 14 years and you just joined ATV riders in 2010? :huh

Riding ATC's since 1978, bought the EX in 2000 and started racing that years, maybe 10 MX, XC type races per year up to 2008. Rode 2-5 times a week in local woods and off road parks during those years, and still kept riding hard after quitting racing in 08', would race once in awhile, then got back into again last year with my son, but always ride. NO REBUILDS because of the K&N....LOL. First was a 416 for more power, 2 yrs. later oil line came off during 45 min. race....my fault on that, trashed the JE piston, bored to 426, and it ran great for a couple years, it was still mint inside when I bored to 440 12.5:1 but it started blowing head gaskets with the original studs, ruin a stud....my fault mostly, and put a used cylinder fresh 406 bore in and it been in there ever since....maybe around 06'? Son runs the crap out of it since 07' when I built by KTM hybrid, which runs the 14 yr. old K&N, the EX now has 12 yr. old K&N. I won't run anything else but a K&N with outerwear....got to know that you have to keep up on them, know how the best way is to clean them and oil them. I have only 100 hrs on the KTM, the EX probably if I had to guess would have to be well over 1500 hrs...? I got on this forum when I happened across it, at age 53 I didn't own a computer until around 2004....my sons had to show me.....I just used it for ebay, didn't do any forums when I started. I have done all my engine work except for the bore jobs and port work...cracked a case and tore down the tranny all the way in the kitchen one winter....lol. And it still works!!! Anymore question just ask.

DragonGunner
07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Heres our first race this year, my son is on #6 the 406EX....he's moving up to a 450R, but I will never sell the EX, we have been through too much. As you can see I suck on the jumps, just don't hit the MX races or practice too much on jumps anymore....these are 45 min. MX XC races that last 45 min. called Grand Prix's. I ended up in 3rd just about 1 min. behind the leaders......young punks, if I could just get back in shape and hit the jumps better, but at 53 I can still hold my own still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQJ_oIeYQs

slightlybent47
07-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Heres our first race this year, my son is on #6 the 406EX....he's moving up to a 450R, but I will never sell the EX, we have been through too much. As you can see I suck on the jumps, just don't hit the MX races or practice too much on jumps anymore....these are 45 min. MX XC races that last 45 min. called Grand Prix's. I ended up in 3rd just about 1 min. behind the leaders......young punks, if I could just get back in shape and hit the jumps better, but at 53 I can still hold my own still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQJ_oIeYQs

lol No wonder it lasted so long. You wernt even on the gas! lol
I must confess, I only watched a few minuets of the video. Long enough to see you getting passed 5-6 times. lol
Just ragging on ya a little bit.

I here ya on the old age thing. I'm turning 54 this month.
I to started riding in 1978 at the old age of 18.
I love it when these youngsters come off the track just huffing and puffing and complaining how tired they get. lol
They have no idea of what tired is, lol
At least your still rippin. Keep it up. If you stop now you'll be to old before ya know it.