PDA

View Full Version : Badlands

Stickman400
07-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Has anyone went out to The Badlands in Indiana? Me and a couple buddies might be heading out there this Sunday (25% chance of rain during the day and 67% at night) and I was just wondering if it's more a sport quad friendly place or 4x4 friendly. I looked on their site and it also says they have an mx track now. I don't really feel like watching a bunch of 10 minute videos to see what it's like. First hand experience from someone on here would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Longdong
07-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Yes it is sport quad friendly! You will have fun.

Stickman400
07-05-2014, 01:38 AM
That's what I wanted to hear! I was thinking of bringing my 420 and 400, then I saw they had an mx track and thought about the 450 and 400. But then I thought if we find mud and my buddy gets his Razr buried like he did down in Fingers Lakes (took us 3 420s, a Renegade, 3 guys pushing and 2 2500lb. winches and 2 hours to pull him out) then we might be screwed. I guess I'll just take the 400 and be done, if he gets buried hopefully someone will have a Jeep out there to help.

Stickman400
07-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Guess we aren't going to go. Buddy said he wasn't going to take the Razr since he still needs to do some maintenance on it, so he would be on a 450. And it's supposed to rain all night until 7am, then stop until 5pm and start again, so it would be one muddy ride. Neither of us was wanting to waste an entire day to go 4 hours away and ride in the mud, so we decided to reschedule.

blacknblue#2
07-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Guess we aren't going to go. Buddy said he wasn't going to take the Razr since he still needs to do some maintenance on it, so he would be on a 450. And it's supposed to rain all night until 7am, then stop until 5pm and start again, so it would be one muddy ride. Neither of us was wanting to waste an entire day to go 4 hours away and ride in the mud, so we decided to reschedule.

Sucks when weather ruins a big trip ya had planned, especially if your situation is like mine and you have a hard time getting everyone together at the same time.

Stickman400
07-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Yea, my buddy said a few years ago he would say he was planning a trip and he would immediately get 10+ people offering up the money for the cabin and gas or whatever. Now he struggles to get 1 or 2 guys that will commit, we've had guys back out the morning we left. Really sucks but I guess life comes first.

blacknblue#2
07-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Yea, my buddy said a few years ago he would say he was planning a trip and he would immediately get 10+ people offering up the money for the cabin and gas or whatever. Now he struggles to get 1 or 2 guys that will commit, we've had guys back out the morning we left. Really sucks but I guess life comes first.

Life definitely takes a toll on it. I dunno what age group your riding with but it can make a turn around in time. We take yearly Hatfield trips and they started out strong in 2002, stayed strong until about 2008 and then dropped off to about 4 or 5, if that. This past May we made a huge turn around with 22 riders. If ppl are dedicated to riding then they eventually come back to the sport.

Stickman400
07-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Usually the group that goes riding is between ages 16-30, maybe 35. But they range from people in high school (no job, no money) to people with full/part time jobs (have money, but very limited) and then a few with a full family, full or part time jobs and then a job on the side (plenty of money but family and no time off from work in the way) I'm hoping once a few of them get things sorted out they have more time to go but you never know. I'm 23 and my time to ride to the limit is slipping away right in front of me, lol.

quad2xtreme
07-10-2014, 07:27 PM
that's how I got into motocross...my friends were unreliable about trail riding. I eventually just went to the track to play around on a beginner track and blossomed from there. 14 years later and I own a motocross park.

Stickman400
07-10-2014, 11:00 PM
I have a couple friends that hit up the motocross tracks all the time, but all the tracks around here are slowly closing down, and the few that are left are bikes only. Pretty retarded if you ask me, considering how many actually ride and race quads around this area.

DragonGunner
07-11-2014, 05:52 AM
I have a couple friends that hit up the motocross tracks all the time, but all the tracks around here are slowly closing down, and the few that are left are bikes only. Pretty retarded if you ask me, considering how many actually ride and race quads around this area.

Just seen your posts....I'm 53 and still race and take it to the limit...you got plenty of time to ride!!!! I have been going to Badlands since 2000. Been there 3 times so far this year. Usually on quads, sometimes 3 wheelers, then we just got a Wildcat Trail sxs so the wife can ride along. If it rains at badlands there is still like 400 acres that you can ride without getting to muddy, or not at all. Its a lot of connecting gravel pits, gravel soaks up the rain. The rest is woods which will have the mud in rain. When we want to ride and the woods are too muddy, we go to Badlands.....so don't always let the rain detour you. Give me a heads up if and when you go, maybe I'll see ya down there some time, we live about 1 hr. 45 min. away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9-HyaT5jSI

quad2xtreme
07-11-2014, 06:04 AM

We allow quads but there isn't much money coming in from them. In VA/NC, bikes rule by far. We average about 20 bikes per quad now...basically $500 of bike revenue for every $25 of quad revenue. What I have noticed is that quads race during race season and most don't practice on their off weekends. They are also spread out across the state and we are one of the few tracks that allow them. Wish there were more. Most of the track owners decided it isn't worth it giving dedicated track time...especially when they start losing bike practice business to nearby tracks that don't allow quads.

quad2xtreme
07-11-2014, 06:06 AM
I know Kyle from my Jeepin' days at Paragon Adventure Park in Hazelton, PA. Knew him before he ran Paragon and before he was married to Stephanie. They are great people!

Stickman400
07-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Just seen your posts....I'm 53 and still race and take it to the limit...you got plenty of time to ride!!!! I have been going to Badlands since 2000. Been there 3 times so far this year. Usually on quads, sometimes 3 wheelers, then we just got a Wildcat Trail sxs so the wife can ride along. If it rains at badlands there is still like 400 acres that you can ride without getting to muddy, or not at all. Its a lot of connecting gravel pits, gravel soaks up the rain. The rest is woods which will have the mud in rain. When we want to ride and the woods are too muddy, we go to Badlands.....so don't always let the rain detour you. Give me a heads up if and when you go, maybe I'll see ya down there some time, we live about 1 hr. 45 min. away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9-HyaT5jSI

That's awesome to know! My buddy has been there a few times and mentioned that it was mostly strip mines and gravel pits, but there was quite a bit a woodland that gets muddy also. I'll deff. hit you up if we make plans again. And I mainly said that getting old thing because I'm trying to get back into freestyle before I get to slow and scared and say to hell with it. Not many people do it around here (bike or quad), especially as big of tricks as I can do on my tiny little ramp that wasn't even made for freestyle really, I feel like I'm going to lose my speed and knack for it if I don't start practicing again. I still kind of have a hope that I can get on with a good crew that does shows or something for money on the side just to do something I love.

Stickman400
07-12-2014, 11:16 AM
And I hear ya quad. The local track that is bikes only had around 200 bikes come out when he reopened after being closed for 5+ years. Before he closed he allowed quads and bikes, now it's bikes only. I've begged and pleaded with him to let a couple of us out there but he won't go for it. He has huge turnouts for his harescrambles he has for quads and side x sides too.