PDA

View Full Version : tires, gearing

moonman
07-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Hey Guys, I have a 2006 LTR. I do mostly trail riding. I had an LTZ before this one. LTZ was great for trail riding with plenty of clearance and the gearing was nice and low.
I found out that the LTR ground clearance was way too low, so I put on a pair of 20x11x9 and I changed the front sprocket to a 13 tooth.
It's still geared way too high for my liking. I really can't feather the clutch and I feel as if I'm going to burn out the clutch real soon.
From what I've read I should put on a larger sprocket in the rear--that's where the problem comes in. I put on a nice thick PRM swingarm skid and there isn't much clearance between the chain and the skid.
If I put on a larger sprocketI'm sure the diameter will be larger, and I will run into problems with the chain clearance.
I see other guys dropping to a 12 tooth front, but I think that will create other problems with chain guards and guides.
I really don't want to cut out the skid to accommodate the larger sprocket-that seems counter productive.
So I guess my question(s) are:
1) Should I just put the old tires and wheels back on? And, if so:
2) Is there anything I could do to the suspension to give me more ground clearance?
3) Should I just keep the setup as I have it, and take off the PRM skid and put on a larger sprocket?
(not the best choice IMO)
4) Put a 12 tooth on the front?
5) Is it possible to put install a lower first gear in the trans?
6) Any other suggestions are welcomed
Thanks