PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2014 400ex OT Thread

cheater13
06-09-2014, 09:38 AM
There really isn't an off topic thread for regular talk about 400s or an area like the "Lounge" on the 450org to talk about whatever so I decided to make one.

Every other forum I'm signed up for has one so I figured it would be cool to have one here to just discuss random stuff. Even though it isn't as active, I know some of you all are floating around here. :cool:

Anyways, I drag raced yesterday with the team. Pretty sure I got my gearing down for the dirt. Came 1st in the 600 and up class 5.5 limit and 3rd in the open 400! Next race in in sand/dirt so I'll have to change it up some.

400man
06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
There really isn't an off topic thread for regular talk about 400s or an area like the "Lounge" on the 450org to talk about whatever so I decided to make one.

Every other forum I'm signed up for has one so I figured it would be cool to have one here to just discuss random stuff. Even though it isn't as active, I know some of you all are floating around here. :cool:

Anyways, I drag raced yesterday with the team. Pretty sure I got my gearing down for the dirt. Came 1st in the 600 and up class 5.5 limit and 3rd in the open 400! Next race in in sand/dirt so I'll have to change it up some.

post some pics and/or videos! I got a XC race coming up on the 21st of this month. and my wife gets to go with me so I will have somebody to take pics and maybe video!

cheater13
06-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Where do you do the XC at? I've always wanted to do something like that but need another quad. Hoping to have another 400ex later this summer.

Don't have any videos actually. I have some on YouTube from last year at the local fair though. I do a lot more racing since I'm on a drag team this year. I ran a personal best of 5.4 yesterday with a 1.760ft. I got a horrible reaction time though. I normally get around .6-.7. These aren't pictures of yesterday because the photographers are working on uploading them but here's a few shots of a few weeks ago:

Time Slip:
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-135.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-135.jpg.html)

Other guy red lighted:
http://i57.tinypic.com/344wjuc.jpg

Part of the team. Just got sponsored with 3 big tents too!
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ed6xjp.jpg

Waiting to go:
http://i61.tinypic.com/34odog3.jpg

Raptor 700:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2li9afs.jpg

Awesome launch shot:
http://i60.tinypic.com/3515p3d.jpg

Random:
http://i60.tinypic.com/11jtagj.jpg

chronicsmoke
06-09-2014, 12:06 PM
way to go phil! :muscle:

cheater13
06-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Haha thanks man! :macho

Takin er Wednesday to get that 06 CRF carb finally put on. And my powdered HMF pipe!

KKiowaTJ
06-09-2014, 01:23 PM
I wish we had cool options like that around my are that don't require hour's of driving. Used to have hill climbs, Drags, Mx and tons of trail areas until the Nazi DNR made it all illegal outside of their little parks. Which one park has had more deaths in a season, Than the whole state, But they think 'its progress'.

I have a buddy who keeps inviting this dipchit who shows up drinking or drunk and never wears a helmet! Then thinks hes going to get on the track and try and race me? I don't want to be on the track at the same time as a dumb drunk, Let alone run with him.

Pretty stupid to ride with no lid, Then add some liquid courage? Im almost to the point that next time im going to drain his oil, Take out the master link key, Anything to keep him off a quad when im on one.
I already threw his keys into the river, But the drunk just hot wired it so he can keep going and give a reason why quads are looked at the way they are.
I mean, WTF runs through peoples heads when there are big air jumps, And you show up in sunglasses and pants/work boots, Offered a helmet by EVERYONE there and 'naw' im ok! Next time it will most likely be shoes, Shorts, No shirt and sunglasses.

cheater13
06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I wish we had cool options like that around my are that don't require hour's of driving. Used to have hill climbs, Drags, Mx and tons of trail areas until the Nazi DNR made it all illegal outside of their little parks. Which one park has had more deaths in a season, Than the whole state, But they think 'its progress'.

I have a buddy who keeps inviting this dipchit who shows up drinking or drunk and never wears a helmet! Then thinks hes going to get on the track and try and race me? I don't want to be on the track at the same time as a dumb drunk, Let alone run with him.

Pretty stupid to ride with no lid, Then add some liquid courage? Im almost to the point that next time im going to drain his oil, Take out the master link key, Anything to keep him off a quad when im on one.
I already threw his keys into the river, But the drunk just hot wired it so he can keep going and give a reason why quads are looked at the way they are.
I mean, WTF runs through peoples heads when there are big air jumps, And you show up in sunglasses and pants/work boots, Offered a helmet by EVERYONE there and 'naw' im ok! Next time it will most likely be shoes, Shorts, No shirt and sunglasses.
Well we actually travel an hour or hour and a half for some of our drags. We have a few local fair drags in july and august though.

Sounds like he needs to learn a lesson one good time. I always ride with my helmet no matter what kind of quad I'm on. And could just always take his spark plug out or the wire lol. We should be able to report it to local police so people with no helmets get a fine, haha.

KKiowaTJ
06-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Well we actually travel an hour or hour and a half for some of our drags. We have a few local fair drags in july and august though.

Sounds like he needs to learn a lesson one good time. I always ride with my helmet no matter what kind of quad I'm on. And could just always take his spark plug out or the wire lol. We should be able to report it to local police so people with no helmets get a fine, haha.

The driving time just gets to be a PITA sometimes when you are ready to ride lol. Unless I ride here around my town and area, Its a minimum 60 minutes to a OHV area or even friends tracks.

Now a days, I wear everything but a chest/neck protector. Im not taking any chances and im actually getting more comfortable in gear riding than not. Yeah, Something needs done, I can see if you are on a 4x4 going through creek beds and whatnot, But to climb hills and a 50ft table top is no place to be without gear.
Some cant get comfortable in riding boots and that's cool, But no lid is asking for trouble and should be required at the minimum.

We need to start a FB page of gear-less idiots and post up 'their' preferred riding attire. After enough people around you who know you and you have been tagged in it, You might start wearing one after all the comments that would be left.

To each their own though, Only takes one idiot to ruin it for the masses. Oddly enough, They are the first to pitch a ***** about the problem!

JOHNDOE83
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
You guys are looking good out there representing the drag race community!!!

FYI I ran a 3.9 on my hybrid and took 1st in the atv class over here, bored camd high compression big carbd 450s and a 310 atc 250r on alky were running 4.1s

Mdkp123
06-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Just saw your quad on one of the Facebook groups. Ur 400 is badass man

cheater13
06-10-2014, 06:26 AM
The driving time just gets to be a PITA sometimes when you are ready to ride lol. Unless I ride here around my town and area, Its a minimum 60 minutes to a OHV area or even friends tracks.

Now a days, I wear everything but a chest/neck protector. Im not taking any chances and im actually getting more comfortable in gear riding than not. Yeah, Something needs done, I can see if you are on a 4x4 going through creek beds and whatnot, But to climb hills and a 50ft table top is no place to be without gear.
Some cant get comfortable in riding boots and that's cool, But no lid is asking for trouble and should be required at the minimum.

We need to start a FB page of gear-less idiots and post up 'their' preferred riding attire. After enough people around you who know you and you have been tagged in it, You might start wearing one after all the comments that would be left.

To each their own though, Only takes one idiot to ruin it for the masses. Oddly enough, They are the first to pitch a ***** about the problem!
I actually started wearing one of those new EVS cheapo neck protectors because it's better than nothing. Our drag team requires them too because of a wreck the captain had a year or two ago going down the strip.

You guys are looking good out there representing the drag race community!!!

FYI I ran a 3.9 on my hybrid and took 1st in the atv class over here, bored camd high compression big carbd 450s and a 310 atc 250r on alky were running 4.1s
Come on man, don't make me look bad lol. I hope this FCR carb and HMF pipe picks me up a pony or two when it gets put back on the dyno. Maybe I'll be around 45hp then. If I'm still not impressed, I'm going to a 440 or 460 stroker, lol.

Just saw your quad on one of the Facebook groups. Ur 400 is badass man
Thankya man! Looks better than it runs. ;)

Zakradu398
06-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Clean up that reaction time a bit :p

cheater13
06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Hey now, that was my worst of the day! I've gotten mainly .6-.7. :D 1st gear launches and ending in 3rd.

You all know if a trx450 throttle cable will fit a 06 crf250 carb? My project after work lol

KKiowaTJ
06-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Hey now, that was my worst of the day! I've gotten mainly .6-.7. :D 1st gear launches and ending in 3rd.

You all know if a trx450 throttle cable will fit a 06 crf250 carb? My project after work lol

Seemed like you were finishing a chilidog, Hopped on at the last minute to take the win :cool:. The reaction and the 60ft were damn near the same. But as the season goes and get dialed in, Im sure that 400 is going to rip!

I wont wear a neck brace, IMO they are a joke and I have personally watched two people get hurt from them alone. One slipped out of the back of his truck and it snapped his collar bone. The other was sitting in staging and got hit from behind and caused a disc in his neck do collapse.

Freak accident(s), But I have been on two/three/four wheels since I was 6, Going on 27 years with no problems. There is no reason to change what has worked and will keep on working. Some like them, You will never get me to wear one. Only time I ever wore a chest protector, I had a false sense of security and did go down. Plus its a good chunk of money to be spent elsewhere.
Guess im just old school, Its it was meant to be, Its my fate brace or not.

JOHNDOE83
06-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Im really impressed with your 400 being that its not big bored, still runs with the big bikes out there which is always good, i like seeing a well built smaller motor bike put a hurting on some big boys.

You should look into getting a bare 400ex frame from a cycle salvage or something like I did, then you can drag cut and paint the frame anyway you like and add some struts and drag plastic and run with out a battery, then youll have a good drag frame that you can always put a different motor in or just swap your motor into for drag season.

Or throw some struts on yours and run without the battery and that would shave close to 50lbs off your ride.

My times were run witha drag cut frame, full shocks and stock swing arm with 8 paddle 21in haulers, the atc had 9 paddle 21s struted and the fastest yfz had full shocks and 10 paddle 20s but lots of motor behind it.

I could really get down some good times with smaller tires, more paddles and struts. Thats probally gonna be a xmas gift to myself this year...lol.

cheater13
06-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Seemed like you were finishing a chilidog, Hopped on at the last minute to take the win :cool:. The reaction and the 60ft were damn near the same. But as the season goes and get dialed in, Im sure that 400 is going to rip!

I wont wear a neck brace, IMO they are a joke and I have personally watched two people get hurt from them alone. One slipped out of the back of his truck and it snapped his collar bone. The other was sitting in staging and got hit from behind and caused a disc in his neck do collapse.

Freak accident(s), But I have been on two/three/four wheels since I was 6, Going on 27 years with no problems. There is no reason to change what has worked and will keep on working. Some like them, You will never get me to wear one. Only time I ever wore a chest protector, I had a false sense of security and did go down. Plus its a good chunk of money to be spent elsewhere.
Guess im just old school, Its it was meant to be, Its my fate brace or not.
Haha yeah maybe so :D

I lost my one class to a strutted 400ex with a wheelie bar. Lost by .2 but crossed the line before her. Me and my other buddy that has a 400ex on the team were saying we should get a bar if she needs one. ;)

I wouldn't wear the neck protector if I didn't need to. It's actually quite comfortable now since I'm used to it. I also have a chest protector in my basement I only put on a few times when I went riding, lol.

Im really impressed with your 400 being that its not big bored, still runs with the big bikes out there which is always good, i like seeing a well built smaller motor bike put a hurting on some big boys.

You should look into getting a bare 400ex frame from a cycle salvage or something like I did, then you can drag cut and paint the frame anyway you like and add some struts and drag plastic and run with out a battery, then youll have a good drag frame that you can always put a different motor in or just swap your motor into for drag season.

Or throw some struts on yours and run without the battery and that would shave close to 50lbs off your ride.

My times were run witha drag cut frame, full shocks and stock swing arm with 8 paddle 21in haulers, the atc had 9 paddle 21s struted and the fastest yfz had full shocks and 10 paddle 20s but lots of motor behind it.

I could really get down some good times with smaller tires, more paddles and struts. Thats probally gonna be a xmas gift to myself this year...lol.
I know man, and my buddy's 426 is running similar times too! He did a lot of ni**er rigging on it too because he couldn't take it to a shop. Can't believe it's running with me because I put 4 times more money into mine.. :p

But yeah, we wanted to cut some off this frame but just realized we could have after all the powdering was done. I do actually have the front strutted now. My buddy made me adjustable struts that has 5 settings. I need to adjust them up to get the thing into my truck, haha. I'm still running my 4 snows though. I wouldn't mind trying another tire that I know would hook all the time. It seems that my buddy's Zippers hook a lot better than all of our Snows.

I took the ole beast to the shop yesterday. He's putting the 06 CRF250 carb on and my HMF pipe. Then putting it back on the dyno to tune it! He already set up the head for the biggest Web Cam they make. I just need the money to buy the cam. Might go to a 12.5:1 piston when that time comes too. I'm in the process now of looking for an extra set of yellow plastics to drag cut.

KKiowaTJ
06-12-2014, 09:57 PM
I know it sounds dumb, But when I had sprint cars, A couple I left raw steel. Reason being, PC them added 12lbs, Painting the to hold up 9ish+/- and 7lbs to cover the chassis with a coat or a couple dustings.

We would wash it, Take it apart as par maintenance every race and the chassis god wiped down with a light film of oil or WD40. Never rusted or even flash rust in two seasons. Drilling small holes in places that wont affect structure drops weight too and less is more.

But sometimes you can drop too much and have to add so its give and take. You have to take everything into account, Even caution laps and fuel burnt at 7lbs a gallon can take a earned win from you.

I know its apples to oranges and the 400 frame might be 2lbs of paint, But it all adds up in the end.

Stickman400
06-13-2014, 12:02 AM
2nd set of local races are going down Saturday and I have to work. Damn. Guess I gotta make that money somehow.:o

cheater13
06-13-2014, 11:37 AM
I know it sounds dumb, But when I had sprint cars, A couple I left raw steel. Reason being, PC them added 12lbs, Painting the to hold up 9ish+/- and 7lbs to cover the chassis with a coat or a couple dustings.

We would wash it, Take it apart as par maintenance every race and the chassis god wiped down with a light film of oil or WD40. Never rusted or even flash rust in two seasons. Drilling small holes in places that wont affect structure drops weight too and less is more.

But sometimes you can drop too much and have to add so its give and take. You have to take everything into account, Even caution laps and fuel burnt at 7lbs a gallon can take a earned win from you.

I know its apples to oranges and the 400 frame might be 2lbs of paint, But it all adds up in the end.
Never thought of that! Sucks that I already got everything on the quad already powdercoated, lol.

2nd set of local races are going down Saturday and I have to work. Damn. Guess I gotta make that money somehow.:o
Getting paid bi-weekly sucks. I spend the money before I have it. :p

cheater13
06-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Guess I'm headin to ole Breezewood Proving Grounds this evening to watch a race. Someday I would love to do mx racing. Dragging is fun but I've always wanted to jump and all.

This coming Friday is my first check I don't have to spend on bills so I have some projects I wanna start. First off is my truck which will be a lot of go big/go fast stuff. Then I wanna scout out another 400ex for under $900 and find a blown up 450r and start on it. :D

Zakradu398
06-15-2014, 05:14 PM

haha just messin.

I'm looking at getting a banshee soon for a drag quad. I have the funds for a quad and 4 mil cub, just no clean titled shees around here..

cheater13
06-16-2014, 08:46 AM
I hate Mondays, lol.

Kind of wish I was back in school and had the Summer off. It's the work life now though! Atleast I'm going somewhere tonight and hopefully getting my 400 back Wednesday.

cheater13
06-20-2014, 01:11 PM
AC on the truck isn't working. Blowin hot air lol. I'm going to run to NAPA after work and get one of those recharge kits.

I barely ever use my AC unless I'm haulin a lady.

Stickman400
06-20-2014, 11:19 PM
AC Pro, I seen those commercials and thought "Yea, cooler my ***" The Ranger I bought recently needed it's a/c recharged and I didn't feel like dragging out the whole commercial setup with the gauges and the pump so I grabbed one of those at O' Reilly's and I'll tell you what they really do work good, and it does seem cooler than my new Dodge.

cheater13
06-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Pretty sure that's the exact same one I got at NAPA for $38. I'm doing it today since I had some stuff that needed done last night.

Missed the race last night because the builder still has my fourwheeler.

cheater13
06-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Can't believe switching from my FMF t4 shorty to a HMF and my old 04/05 450r carb to a 06 crf250 gained me 4hp! Now I need to fab up a custom intake cause the velocity is too little. Then hopefully when I go to a 13:1 piston and the big Webb cam, I'll be up to 50hp. :D

I need to find an adapter somewhere to go from the carb to an intake off a truck now. Go big or go home. ;)

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-137.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-137.jpg.html)

JOHNDOE83
06-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Can't believe switching from my FMF t4 shorty to a HMF and my old 04/05 450r carb to a 06 crf250 gained me 4hp! Now I need to fab up a custom intake cause the velocity is too little. Then hopefully when I go to a 13:1 piston and the big Webb cam, I'll be up to 50hp. :D

I need to find an adapter somewhere to go from the carb to an intake off a truck now. Go big or go home. ;)

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-137.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-137.jpg.html)

Make a custom intake like mine, its a bigger diameter then the velocity intake and you can make it short or long to compensate more or less flow.

I used a 2in alluminum tube cut to size with a uni filter and 2-2in rubber plumbing fittings with hose clamps to make it all work.

whats odd is it says you need more intake but you went to a smaller carb?

try the new intake on both carbs on the dyno again if you can just to be certain....

The smaller carb might not fit the 2in plumbing grommet like the 450r carb does....only one way to find out i guess.

cheater13
07-01-2014, 07:44 AM
John, you won't believe what I ran this Saturday!

A freakin 4.9 with a 1.2 60ft! I'm catchin ya! ;) I was sleepin on the line though, haha. I also ran a 5.1 and some pretty consistent 5.3-5.4s. This is on sand too!
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-139.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-139.jpg.html)

But my builder said the velocity is restricting my engine some. So I'm putting the stock tube on since it has more volume at the end where the filter goes. But I'm going today and buying a Spectre filter for a truck for it. I test fitted it up yesterday and it fit pretty good.
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-138.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-138.jpg.html)

JOHNDOE83
07-05-2014, 07:49 AM
John, you won't believe what I ran this Saturday!

A freakin 4.9 with a 1.2 60ft! I'm catchin ya! ;) I was sleepin on the line though, haha. I also ran a 5.1 and some pretty consistent 5.3-5.4s. This is on sand too!
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-139.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-139.jpg.html)

But my builder said the velocity is restricting my engine some. So I'm putting the stock tube on since it has more volume at the end where the filter goes. But I'm going today and buying a Spectre filter for a truck for it. I test fitted it up yesterday and it fit pretty good.
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-138.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-138.jpg.html)

Sweet, doesnt look to bad!! I ran a similar setup, but had a white bros foam filter, that one looks good tho!

Times looking good to, keep up the good work!

Blodg
07-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I am curious, how do those times you posted from your 426EX compare to a slightly modified 450? I imagine the times vary a lot depending on rider and skill but what are average times for some of the other dudes on your drag team on 450's or I think I saw one with a raptor.

cheater13
07-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks John! I actually got a new Spectre from Advanced Auto for $42. Had to trim alittle on the intake and used the Velocity's rubber tube to act as a spacer between the stock intake and carb. I ran some zipties around the frame and filter to help support it too.

Blodg: Me and my buddy on his 426 run close times. We are also within 1hp of each other. You wouldn't believe it if you saw his 400 though. We call it "Ratrod." But we're actually easily beating lightly modded 450s. The one LTR on the team has a hair over 60hp and we run his times sometimes if we get a good reaction time. And the guy with the 700 Raptor on the team gets 5.5-5.6 on sand.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/image-145.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-145.jpg.html)

cheater13
07-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Raced 150ft at a local fair yesterday. Had a horrible time. Filter flew off one pass. Then next pass I brought it up 3 times with struts on and my whole intake fell off. Then it started bogging at WOT so I think I got water in it.

I'm gunna switch back to my Velocity Intake until I can make a bracket to support this big filter setup and get it on the dyno again to fine tune it.

chronicsmoke
07-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Raced 150ft at a local fair yesterday. Had a horrible time. Filter flew off one pass. Then next pass I brought it up 3 times with struts on and my whole intake fell off. Then it started bogging at WOT so I think I got water in it.

I'm gunna switch back to my Velocity Intake until I can make a bracket to support this big filter setup and get it on the dyno again to fine tune it.

What if you used the airbox as a splash guard but keep the supports on it if you're using the factory intake.. (if I understand correctly what you're saying that is, lol)

cheater13
07-10-2014, 01:56 PM
What if you used the airbox as a splash guard but keep the supports on it if you're using the factory intake.. (if I understand correctly what you're saying that is, lol)

Well that flimsy rubber can't hold the weight of that big filter. All we need to do is either build a bracket to support the weight of the filter or I was also considering finding some 2" pipe and making it go to 3-4" at the end like the stock intake tube does. The filter wants to pull the intake tube outta the carb. Front struts don't help it either when you're goin down the track. :p

Aluminum will hold better than rubber since that filter is so heavy. I also need to have a spacer to get further over the sub frame and then angle it down. My carb sits sideways to clear the gas tank. We had to heat the gas tank and push it in so it didn't hit the carb. But the intake caves in on the subframe if the filter isn't lifted high enough. I think just making a custom intake out of 2" pipe to 4" pipe will work better.

I'm putting my Velocity back on today and rejetting back to 185 from 190.

Stickman400
07-10-2014, 10:57 PM
I think chronic is saying cut the front part of the stock plastic airbox off where your rubber grommet goes through it and then still use the front "hook" mounts that go onto the frame to support it. Not using just the rubber intake itself.

chronicsmoke
07-11-2014, 10:50 AM
I think chronic is saying cut the front part of the stock plastic airbox off where your rubber grommet goes through it and then still use the front "hook" mounts that go onto the frame to support it. Not using just the rubber intake itself.

Yah that was exactly my thinking,, I just didn't explain it very well lol

KKiowaTJ
07-11-2014, 10:52 AM
You could also use metal mesh screen to keep it tucked up under and no air flow restriction. That or just make a cradle it can sit in and be secured to and go from there.

cheater13
07-11-2014, 11:38 AM
My crf carb outlet seems to sit lower than normal ones. That's why I need something to come up over the subframe and then down. Might just find some aluminum tubing and go from there. I could always just make a bracket somehow to support the heavy filter.

JOHNDOE83
07-12-2014, 08:02 AM
My friend has a similar filter on his banshee, he used a self taping screw with lock tight on the metal/plastic cap on the filter and made a L bracket that went to his seat latch/support area.

But I like chronics idea alot, you could trim all the sides of the stock airbox leaving the bottom and some meat on the mounting areas and it would be almost perfect.

My 440ex ran 5.5s on a true 300ft track, what times did you get for the 150ft? my hybrids running consistant between 3.65 and 3.9 on a true 200ft.

KKiowaTJ
07-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Got a new toy to mess around with and had a few questions that relate to aftermarket parts, So brand isn't a factor. Wouldn't be sitting there if it wasn't a screaming deal needing this and that. Anywho....

2001 Yamaha rapturd 660 with either a bore to 710-713cc, So we call her 7-11. Has works fronts with rezi's and a few other cool parts. Its a 01' so we all ran AC everywhere we could, Thus the reason why we favored it. Cool part, Its has a full DMC exhaust.
It has the full flight a-arms on it with all heims, And they are all shot IMO. Id like to convert the outer spindle side to auto ball joint and not heims if I can. They are 3/4-16 outers and other than heims, I cant find any part #'s. Or is a better other brand of heims worth it? Thanks for any help

Picks of the yamahaha,

KKiowaTJ
07-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Guess I don't have to worry about heims. When I bought my ASR a arms with auto ball joints, They sent heims instead and when I called them on it and all I had spent, They sent out free ball joints for my arms. The ASR 3/4-16 are an exact fit for FF or any 'heim' style a arm, So saved a few dollars there.

The next headache is jetting lmao. With the bore kit, exhaust, filter it has cackle on deceleration so only thing can be done is take it apart and see what's in it. I feel its the high humidity causing it, But a couple others think its too lean. Oh well, Gives us something to mess with and talk **** about lol.

cheater13
07-15-2014, 07:42 AM
My friend has a similar filter on his banshee, he used a self taping screw with lock tight on the metal/plastic cap on the filter and made a L bracket that went to his seat latch/support area.

But I like chronics idea alot, you could trim all the sides of the stock airbox leaving the bottom and some meat on the mounting areas and it would be almost perfect.

My 440ex ran 5.5s on a true 300ft track, what times did you get for the 150ft? my hybrids running consistant between 3.65 and 3.9 on a true 200ft.
Yeah another guy posted the same thing on Facebook. We're actually gunna do something with that bar on the subframe and run either 2-3" pipe and funnel it to be 4-5" where the filter connects at. And I'm running 5.3s with mine actually. That recent time slip of 4.9, I think the laser was having a problem that day. Not too sure on my 150ft though. 3.6s I think.

Got a new toy to mess around with and had a few questions that relate to aftermarket parts, So brand isn't a factor. Wouldn't be sitting there if it wasn't a screaming deal needing this and that. Anywho....

2001 Yamaha rapturd 660 with either a bore to 710-713cc, So we call her 7-11. Has works fronts with rezi's and a few other cool parts. Its a 01' so we all ran AC everywhere we could, Thus the reason why we favored it. Cool part, Its has a full DMC exhaust.
It has the full flight a-arms on it with all heims, And they are all shot IMO. Id like to convert the outer spindle side to auto ball joint and not heims if I can. They are 3/4-16 outers and other than heims, I cant find any part #'s. Or is a better other brand of heims worth it? Thanks for any help

Picks of the yamahaha,
Ah a good ole Raptor! :p How much did you pay for it? Not sure on the a arm question but I always heard about the heims on them full flights wearing out quick.

KKiowaTJ
07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
All said and done, around $2200 in it. Im not too happy with the FF set-up, but with parts that fit and are tough enough to be used, It 'should' work out. On the plus side, Its pretty much already sold to my buddy with the blue one next to it. He rode it and didn't want to get off until there was a price in the air lol. I knew he would that's kinda why I picked it up and his original raptor was black and white LE. Having all the aftermarket was a plus, Kinda! The exhaust being what I liked most.

But for chits and gigs, I do need some help with good ol' 'jetting'. The machine sits with
-710cc motor
-no lid on box, K&N
-DMC full exhaust

Im thinking it should need a 170-180 main in it 'if' the motor is what it is. But haven't had a chance to open them up yet. I don't think I need a dynojet kit, Just some mains and a plug or two to mess around and dial it in. Hope the Yamaha shop has jets on hand, But would be wise to find out first what's in it lol.

But if anyone has a raptor or knows what 'should' be in it or where I need to be, Would help out greatly. It will give me a # to go off of when I get them apart this weekend.

honda400ex2003
03-12-2015, 02:34 PM
wish i had more stuff to do to mine haha, not much time to even ride it any more. let alone do major mods to it. i just ride it and have fun on it now

cool to see some guys dragging them and racing them still though! anyone from Wi?

steve

cheater13
05-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Finally found this thread lol...

But anyways, I FINALLY got my other custom lockout pin back. But we can't figure out the slack in the cable so we put the stock cover and clutch back in. All new internals though. It's currently getting built. Gonna have 14:1 compression. Was gonna go 15:1 but my builder said he wants me to get a HotRods crank before that happens.

honda400ex2003
05-18-2015, 08:56 AM
you are going to run a stock crank on 14:1? custom piston and porting? what bore are you going with?

steve

cheater13
05-18-2015, 01:46 PM
you are going to run a stock crank on 14:1? custom piston and porting? what bore are you going with?

steve

Yep, 13:1 JE piston and gonna mill the head so I can get to 14:1. Stock crank for now. They're pretty tough from what I heard. And still sticking to the 426 bore. Not gonna ever go higher. I'm pushing HP numbers that build 440s aren't even getting.

honda400ex2003
05-18-2015, 02:00 PM
should be fun, doing anything to aid in cooling it? fan or bigger cooler?

steve

cheater13
05-19-2015, 09:37 AM
should be fun, doing anything to aid in cooling it? fan or bigger cooler?

steve

I don't think I'll need a cooler right now. I already have a fan setup on it though and a temp guage on my dipstick. My builder dyno-tunes it so we get the perfect jetting to help with it.

honda400ex2003
05-19-2015, 09:46 AM
nice there, post what you get for hp numbers!

i havent ran on a dyno in a long time. my last setup i ran was a 416 10:1 with a stage 1 and some porting and 450r carb. ran 34hp on Rossier Engineerings dyno. that was a great engine, kinda miss it sometimes. my 440 is fun but i dont put the time into tuning it like i used to :(

steve

cheater13
05-19-2015, 12:09 PM
nice there, post what you get for hp numbers!

i havent ran on a dyno in a long time. my last setup i ran was a 416 10:1 with a stage 1 and some porting and 450r carb. ran 34hp on Rossier Engineerings dyno. that was a great engine, kinda miss it sometimes. my 440 is fun but i dont put the time into tuning it like i used to :(

steve

I have my old dyno sheet from last year I could post up if I can find it. I'll get a copy of my current one when it's done. 11:1 426 build 46hp was last years. I'm hoping to see around 52-53 this year with my build. Stock stroke too. :D

Where the heck has everyone gone on this subforum?!

honda400ex2003
05-19-2015, 12:14 PM
46 hp is really good!

not much traffic on the site other than checking out pictures and news stuff it seems now. Facebook has taken over but unfortunately all the good info is still on here and not there.

i am running a stage 2 hotcam 11:1 440cc wiseco right now with a 450 carb, pro circuit header and a fmf q4 on the end. not a bad setup but i have it detuned to keep it cool for slow trail riding. rips when it is tuned for the temp and such though. that 450r carb is just too finicky for me to want to mess with it every time i ride.

steve

cheater13
05-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Yeah ever since them big facebook groups started, this placed died. Wish my buddy JOHNDOE I think his name was, showed up on here more often. I talked to him a lot about drag racing stuff.

But that's a decent setup. I don't tell a lot what I got in mine but I do got a crf250 41mm fcr carb. 450r carb held me back a lot for my build.

honda400ex2003
05-19-2015, 03:22 PM
he is still around on occasion, not much any more though i dont think.

i personally hate the 450r carb, it is junk... i dont think ive got it tuned well enough to be satisfied since i had it dyno'd with my 416. ive tried so many jets, needle positions, and pilots that my fingers hurt just thinking about it.

if i want to take a ride on something really quick, i hop on the 265r and call it a day. LOL

steve

cheater13
05-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I've noticed.

And yeah, it may be an improvement from stock but it's nothing to talk about. VERY hard to tune right. That's why I went with a FCR carb.

I have an 84 cr125 that needs a rebuild and the suspension re-done. I just put around on it for now since I can't really ride mine anywhere but the track until winter time.

Just got my HD studs in the mail yesterday. Shipped them out to the builder this morning.

400man
05-22-2015, 08:25 PM
the facebook groups are kind of a joke. when you ask some kind of serious question,most of the time you get a bunch of comments from people who have no idea what they are saying. and all u ever see is a bunch of "front end friday" type posts with nothing but pics from kids and their stock bikes.

cheater13
05-23-2015, 12:14 PM
^Very true, haha. I kept seeing a guy offer his tiller for a quad. So I posted my quad for trade for a tiller but he wouldn't send me pictures or anything. :blah:

cheater13
05-27-2015, 07:32 AM
400 is still in the shop.. And test and tune is this Saturday. Looks like I'll probably be missing it. We have a race next Saturday though so better be done by then.

KKiowaTJ
06-07-2015, 10:30 AM
I still swing by to see if the traffic picked up. I joined late in the game, but for the most part the main guys who were helpful for me, are still around.

Mines been sitting since last year! Had a new clutch installed, springs, fiber/steel and no change. Rolled it and let it sit! Got it out a couple weeks ago now and tore I to her to find the problem (s). The eBay replacement was worse off than my part lmao!
Then as we were assembling it, the inner clutch hub broke! During basket torque! I said F it, it will sit another 6+ months. My buddy who was helping and was using the torque wrench when it broke, said hold up.

Gets me to pull up rmatv on memorial day weekend and orders all new, oem, from the basket to the lifter arm that holds down the new oil seal there too! I told him no, I can't attempt to make any payments, he said who cares, it's money and the make more everyday!
All parts are not in yet, but we are both thinking it's the AOF MSR clutch perch and lever. On two new cables and clutch, it will only hold the last adjustments case and lever side.

Hopefully I'll be back on her in a couple more weeks and get into shape. Dropped another 30lbs so I don't have to build a motor lmao, just suspension! Still haven't installed my parts, pretty much the only thing that will be stock is swinger, sub, frame and motor.
As mentioned, glad we still have tons and tons of info here on the site to help and aid. If I wanted to see pictures and or the 'new slip-on' I'd go to fb or elsewhere. Here is where the real tech info needed is imo!

cheater13
06-11-2015, 10:00 AM
I still don't see John around here often..

But wow, I couldn't let mine sit when I rolled it. Had to clean it up and get it fixed asap lol. OCD kicked in. I actually shop a lot on ebay and had good luck. I normally buy from companies on there though.

We didn't have a torque wrench for my Hinson we put in over winter. Pretty sure we just used an impact.. I had someone actually do that for myself. So I hope I don't have problems with that.

I have Reflex levers and hate them. Adjustment SUCKS! Always have to take them off to adjust them. I should have got ASV levers.

And congrats man, I'm trying to gain weight lol. Not good for us drag racers though. Mine is STILL in the shop. Hopefully it'll be done within the next week or two though. Can't wait to see the HP numbers. I'm looking for a +4 swinger too just to help me stay down.

But yeah, I'm on them Facebook pages too. You can get good info off there quick, but gotta watch some of it.

cheater13
06-23-2015, 09:00 AM
400 should be done by next week. I should be able to post a dyno sheet too. Hoping around 52hp! :D

cheater13
07-01-2015, 10:43 AM
You guys are boring, lol.

Well anyways, the 400 is running finally! He just sent me a picture and said he's breaking in the cam today. Should be on the dyno soon!

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag435/Dirtking299/A9A4F798-8954-4018-A5F3-F8491BB4A332_zpsropks15y.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Dirtking299/media/A9A4F798-8954-4018-A5F3-F8491BB4A332_zpsropks15y.jpg.html)

cheater13
07-01-2015, 01:33 PM
Kind of disappointed. Got the dyno results back.

Just pushing right above 50hp. Was shooting for 52 though, but he said he wanted to keep it on the safe side. He said the crank/rod needs to be upgraded for sure. Especially since it's 14:1 right now. 15:1 next year with a different crank/rod should get me up there.

cheater13
07-03-2015, 08:38 AM
So it's out of the shop! Pushing 51hp. Stayed at 13:1 compression. Stock crank won't hold too much if it were any higher than that, but he said as long as I'm not on the limiter the whole time I'm good. I'm normally not anyway. Clutch is slipping 5-8% but I'm getting springs made to eliminate that. Not running my lockout this year but any HP after, I need too. Here's a dyno sheet:

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag435/Dirtking299/869D197A-1768-47BA-ADAE-07E7EC87016A_zps0of4flow.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Dirtking299/media/869D197A-1768-47BA-ADAE-07E7EC87016A_zps0of4flow.jpg.html)

Blodg
07-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Making max power at only 6,000 rpm's? Something doesn't seem quite right with the sheet but who cares as long as it feels good.when you are riding it!

cheater13
07-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Making max power at only 6,000 rpm's? Something doesn't seem quite right with the sheet but who cares as long as it feels good.when you are riding it!

It has more HP in it. He cut a good bit off my rpm off since my stock crank doesn't like my setup. He tuned it accordingly. I rather be safe than sorry when it comes to that. I'll be getting a Hotrod setup this winter and be pushing around 56-60hp I'm hoping. Then I can bump my compression up to 15:1. I have a race next Saturday I think so I'm hoping for 5.0s in 300ft.

cheater13
08-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Haven't posted in awhile but put Barnett clutch springs in it. I'm running 5.2s on dirt. Not bad, but I'll be hitting my 4.9s/5.0s this winter build hopefully.

cheater13
08-20-2015, 06:12 AM
Hate that you can hardly see the oil level on the XR dipsticks..