PDA

View Full Version : How to identify a ATV frame?

bkwld
06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Hey Folks, I am a new guy here and new to the world of ATVs.

But I have some question about a ATV frame my son was given.

First, how could I go about identifying this frame? It seems to be a Yamaha Monocross 2XJ-00 (that is the only marks on this whole thing). My main thing is want to make sure it is not stolen. Are these ATVs supposed to have VIN numbers?

Next

Do you have to register a ATV? (California)

I am mechanically inclined (automobile) but never a ATV, where is the best place to buy parts for this? Do you guys think it is worth it to rebuild?

I am so new to this and it sounds like a cool father son project, but I do not want to get in over our heads. Any advice, tips, experience or resources are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Nate

bkwld
06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
oooops here is a picture

quad2xtreme
06-02-2014, 12:40 PM
not sure what it is but totally not worth doing anything with. You'd be better off starting with a full quad that needed rebuilt from the ground up than starting with something missing all the parts that was is missing. Engine, carb, air box, gas tank, foot pegs, skids, brakes, lever, wiring harness. You will spend a ton and be worth about 25% what you spend on all the parts. You can buy a running 400ex for $1,500.

fastredrider44
06-02-2014, 01:59 PM
not sure what it is but totally not worth doing anything with. You'd be better off starting with a full quad that needed rebuilt from the ground up than starting with something missing all the parts that was is missing. Engine, carb, air box, gas tank, foot pegs, skids, brakes, lever, wiring harness. You will spend a ton and be worth about 25% what you spend on all the parts. You can buy a running 400ex for $1,500.

I agree. I'd sell what you have for parts. Hard to tell from the picture, expecially since I don't know my Yamahas, but I would say that it is a Blaster or Warrior. It will have a VIN on it somewhere, either on one of the front frame tubes, or near where the left footpeg would go.

blacknblue#2
06-02-2014, 02:59 PM
I agree with both guys above. Im almost certain its a blaster. There is a reason it was gave to him, its a $1000 quad running. Don't want to discourage you away from quads tho. Pick up an older 400ex and be ready to get addicted.

CJM
06-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Most definitely a blaster.

bkwld
06-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Much appreciated gents. I will look harder for a vin number. I think we both may sit this one out. :D

turdboy
06-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Blaster for sure. One other option would be craigslist. You might be able to find a really cheap blown up blaster, rebuild it and keep your roller for spare parts/frame. I started off on blasters and they are very fun little quads. They are also very easy to work on and parts are cheap.

beastlywarrior
06-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Yep blaster, can't give that stuff away