PDA

View Full Version : oil keeps overflowing

400exmxracer
05-22-2014, 02:55 PM
I just put a new oil tank on my 400ex and u put new oil in it to the correct line and then when I rode it and checked it after ut was coming out of the dipstick hole over flowing. Why do you think this is happening?

DragonGunner
05-22-2014, 05:39 PM
You overfilled it. When checking oil on a warm machine, shut off and wait a couple minutes, then check dipstick....add or drain oil accordingly. If you pull the stick out while its running oil should spit out, which is a good sign that the pump is working, but not the right way to check level.

400exmxracer
05-22-2014, 06:53 PM
You overfilled it. When checking oil on a warm machine, shut off and wait a couple minutes, then check dipstick....add or drain oil accordingly. If you pull the stick out while its running oil should spit out, which is a good sign that the pump is working, but not the right way to check level.

I let it sit for a while. Actually even the next day it was over flowing. I only put two quarts in it and I have an extra oil cooler

DragonGunner
05-22-2014, 07:38 PM
I let it sit for a while. Actually even the next day it was over flowing. I only put two quarts in it and I have an extra oil cooler

It sounds like you put the tank on and then added 2 qts.....correct...? if so you overfilled it. Don't fill the tank up to the stick level. Maybe a half qt. would of been good, then start and let it run till it warmed up then shut off and wait and check and keep adding and repeating as needed.

Unless your saying you did a oil change, and then put 2 qts. in...

400exmxracer
05-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Ok, thankyou I'll try that. I thought everything would have emptied out when I took the tank off but it must not have