PDA

View Full Version : 400x gearing change

lawrenq
05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Hey I just bought a 13 400x, I wanted to go up a tooth on the front sprocket but I don't want to lose any torque either. I'm thinking about going to a uni filter, opening the air box lid, hmf competition slip on, sparks timing key and rejetting the carb.

Will these mods make up for the torque that I'll lose from gearing up.

RNL
05-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Hey I just bought a 13 400x, I wanted to go up a tooth on the front sprocket but I don't want to lose any torque either. I'm thinking about going to a uni filter, opening the air box lid, hmf competition slip on, sparks timing key and rejetting the carb.

Will these mods make up for the torque that I'll lose from gearing up.

Should come close I would think.

slightlybent47
06-22-2014, 11:16 PM
First off your post number says your new to the site, Welcome!
Are you new to the sport of ATV's?
If you are new to the site and the sport, you want to be very caucuses about mods and what is the truth what is just hype.

Next thing is, why do you want to change the gearing?
The front sprocket is cheaper to change but the rear gives you more options.
Changing one tooth on the front is like changing two on the rear.
So if changing the front is too big a change, you can change the rear and go a half step in between.
There are some torque differences between the front and rear sprockets. You just have to play with it.

Next thing I see is you want to change the air filter.
Running an aftermarket filter that has a better air flow is only for racing and built racing motors that get rebuilt on a regular bases.
Regardless if it is a racing motor or a stock motor the extra HP boost one gets is very small with a high flow air filter.
Not worth the risk of destroying your motor.
When you ride, do you keep it pinned?
If your not keeping the throttle pinned 90% of the time, your not using the power you have so you don't need any motor mods.

There use to be a handy link that had the EX gearing tables and it showed all the different combinations of gearing you could do with changing the sprockets.
But I lost it when my PC crashed.

Just be careful of the advice you get on this and other sites.

I'll always give it to ya strait.

cheater13
06-23-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm sure they will make up for it. You won't see a lot, but it might just be enough to gain that torque back.

And pretty sure the sprocket ratio is 3 in the back is equal to 1 in the front. I haven't seen you around here lately slightybent47. Must of been hiding. ;)

slightlybent47
06-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Hey there! Yeah it's been awhile.
I've been getting my business up and running here this past year so I've been slackin! lol

Is it three to one? I think your write!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

cheater13
06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Hey there! Yeah it's been awhile.
I've been getting my business up and running here this past year so I've been slackin! lol

Is it three to one? I think your write!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!
Well that's awesome then man! And yeah 3:1. I gotta remember that kind of stuff for drag racing, haha.

But yep, I'll be fine once I get my 400 outta the shop this week. And same to you!