PDA

View Full Version : gap in carrier bearing!! please help

beerman
05-14-2014, 09:25 AM
ok so im new here and I am having a problem with a gap by my carrier bearing and my brake disk on my 05 honda 400ex. I took it all apart and didnt notice it until I had it back together. after I noticed it I took it all back apart and have tried many different things to get the gap closed. I know it is all suppose to be flush and I have ran out of options to get this fixed. any help would be greatly appreciated. I uploaded a picture so you can see. Thanks

LxMxL97
05-14-2014, 10:07 AM
ok so im new here and I am having a problem with a gap by my carrier bearing and my brake disk on my 05 honda 400ex. I took it all apart and didnt notice it until I had it back together. after I noticed it I took it all back apart and have tried many different things to get the gap closed. I know it is all suppose to be flush and I have ran out of options to get this fixed. any help would be greatly appreciated. I uploaded a picture so you can see. Thanks

Your rotor hub it probably hitting the seal make sure the seal is put in all the way or just tighten the lock but down and smash it in

beerman
05-14-2014, 11:13 AM
i tried that and i didnt have any more threads to tighten it down. so last night i put some washers on the outside of the disk to give me a little more room to tighten the lock down and it still wouldnt pull it together! i also put a 2x4 up aginst the disk and and hit it pretty hard with a hammer thinking that would push it in some and it still wouldnt go!

samm3020
05-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Just a thought is it a factory carrier? Is it possible that the carrier was machined a little narrow?

beerman
05-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Just a thought is it a factory carrier? Is it possible that the carrier was machined a little narrow?

i bought it from Adrenaline Cycles it is Billet Axle carrier bearing. that could be it maybe idk. I was just hopeing somebody had the same problem and could maybe give me some info on how to get it fixed without having to take it to a shop. I know its suppose to be flush cause i looked at a couple other 400's and theirs are.If i knew it wouldnt mess up i would probably ride it but the part was $120 and i dont wanna ride it and get dirt and sand in it and have it go out on me in like 3 months and have to get another one.

Stickman400
05-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Was this one you bought a replacement for the stock one? I think the stock ones sit in a little further and more flush than aftermarket hubs. I've had similar problems when I replace the bearings in mine every couple years. It never seems to pull in and sit as flush as the stock one. As long as the edge of the hub flange is inside the seal then I just crank down on the lock nut and leave it.

Scro
05-18-2014, 06:59 PM
It's possible you have a 450r carrier. I'm almost positive the 450 is the same except for being a bit wider.

tmaxxs10
05-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Is the bearing all the way in? I picked up a swingarm that happened to have an aftermarket carrier in. When I took out the old bearings there was a spacer between them. It also had a lip inside where the bearings sit. I took an old bearing and ground it down to use as my driver. I drove the bearings till they hit the lip. No problems yet. Everything went together without a hitch.

Stickman400
05-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Of course now that I think about it I'm running a 450 brake and hub with a 400 carrier. That could be the reason, I can't remember if I had this issue with the stock setup or not.