PDA

View Full Version : 99 400ex will not idle

Galahad1212
05-08-2014, 08:03 PM
I bought a 99 400ex off of a friend a few weeks back. Float was stuck, removed bowl cleaned the float seat and valve. Started it up and ran a tank of gas through it. I can not get it to idle without inputting a little bit of throttle. Also after it warms up (drops down from fast idle to normal then stalls), when I go to restart after stalling, I have to give it full throttle like it has flooded out. I tried adjusting the throttle stop screw/cable at the bottom of the carb, but found out after removing cover, with it all the way in it does not contact the throttle stop to bump the idle up. I checked the air/fuel mixture screw and it was set to 2.5 turns out. Anyone have any suggestions? 400ex carb adjusting is new to me. Thx

DragonGunner
05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Did you take out the slow jet and clean and see if you can see through it....its probably clogged. I would start there, its there for idle...while your at it I would just buy a new one size 42 and put in, its a little bigger and helps a lot on cold starting.

Crosshairs
05-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Pretty much what DragonGunner said...its almost certain the pilot jet is clogged, and cleaning them is damn near impossible...just take it out and replace it with a 42 ,they are way too lean when stock anyway.