PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Trails or Hatfield & McCoy Trails?

VTredneckgames
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
So does anyone on here ever ride the outlaw trails in WV? Or do you stick mostly to the Hatfield McCoy Trails?

I would love to ask somebody some questions about the area. We have always either started at the Ashland Campground or at the HM parking lot in Crumpler, then rode through Crumpler up to the stair steps, then from there we just ride. Around wagon wheel/pinnacle creek. Ive heard that area called the outlaw trails, if so I guess thats what we ride.

How would I know if we had been riding the HM trails? Ive never had any trouble and have met a ton of other riders over the years. I just dont know where we ride exactly or the legality of it all.

So any of the other Ashland Resort/Wagon Wheel riders care to chime in?

blacknblue#2
05-07-2014, 02:35 PM
All Hatfield trails are clearly marked with signs on all trails. I steer away from outlaw trails. One accident and no knowledge of how to navigate help to you in a quick fashion could be life or death. I've been riding Hatfield 12 years and know of a young man that died in an accident just 500 ft off the highway on outlaw trails all because his friend spent multiple hours trying to find his way back out then trying to navigate the help back to him. Had the rescue units knew where he was they could have been to him in minutes.

VTredneckgames
05-08-2014, 05:21 AM
It can be very easy to get lost on the outlaw trails. We dont adventure out much. We stick to the main trails that we have traveled several times. I like the freedom of riding them and really a lot of the reason we ride them is that we are familiar with parts of them. HM is all new to us and that might be part of the reason we havent rode them, we like the familiarity. The outlaw trails are no more dangerous then any others, depending on the riders.

I wouldnt mind trying out some of the HM trails at some point. Which ones do you usually ride?

OldGuyonaQuad
05-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Last year we stayed at Ashland and did Indian Ridge, Pinnacle Creek and Pocahontas. Those three trail systems offer you plenty of miles of trails and diversity. We took the roads back to Ashland from Pocahontas the last day just because we were so beat up and the roads were more fit for off road vehicles then cars. Along the way we made a few wrong turns and wound up riding on non H/M trails and the locals couldn't even tell us how to get back on the trails. My guess is most of the riders on H/M are us tourists. I'm used to riding non marked trails so I pay close attention to where I am and of then just run a few loops before venturing too far too fast. I've only gone to H/M twice but I came away with the distinct impression that ATV's are a way of transportation down there so you don't have to worry about the police just police yourselves.

VTredneckgames
05-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Well if all goes well we will be up around wagon wheel this saturday.

Anybody else have much to say on the outlaw trails?

trailhouseowner
06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
I would never take my family on the "Outlaw Trails". No rules make some people wild. Don't get me wrong. Everybody, including me, likes to have a good time, but I prefer riding areas with a little more structure and available help when needed. Just my opinion.....................