PDA

View Full Version : If you could build any 90 Mod...

ontargetracing
05-06-2014, 01:28 PM
If you could build any 90 Mod what would it be..?

what frame: jb, fischer cobra..?

what base motor: RM85, KX85, cobra RMC, etc... mods and built by who..?

what suspension: motowaz, elka etc..

What componets: JB a-arms, ATFP swinger, Honda 450 brakes etc...

What plastics, bars, tires etc...

wickestangwv
05-08-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm subscribing to this tread....

ontargetracing
05-08-2014, 12:47 PM
no takers...

I really don't know what chassis.. but the cobras seem to look wider and lower. I know that are not actually wider but...

So, here it goes
Cobra Chassis
PR2 built RM motor, trackside pipe
Heath a-arms and swinger
Elka Stage V's
Honda 450 Brakes
Ti axle and bolts
ITP Quad-x Tires
ATVFP bars
Wish the LTZ90 plastic would fit..

Keith J
05-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Depends on how big the rider is I am building for. Bigger kid then one of the "mod" bikes. Smaller kid, then the cobra.

Since my princess is small I will go with the Cobra route, haha

Basically the same as your build except change the Elka's to Motowoz and the RM motor to a built KTM 85..

bone1980
05-08-2014, 05:44 PM
if i could build one i would love for it to cost less than a worked 450 but with people willing to pay $4000 for a worked dirt bike motor it will never happen

wickestangwv
05-08-2014, 07:05 PM
I think the cobra frames are so weak. We see them break all the time. I'd personally like to build a 450 mod set up. This would make growing into a 250 or a 450 much easier.

ontargetracing
05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
I think this one is pretty close.. http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?449419-Custom-90-Mod

bigdaddy77
05-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Its all about preference and how big your rider is. Hands down the newer Cobra are fast and reliable. Look at what Baird has done to them and the Shaws . Great riders but fast little bikes. Medium size rider the JB's , Fischer, Dave Carter's. All excellent choices and im sure I left out a few. Bigger heavier riders Roberts chassis, Six 5 Design , new JB 250 chassis and dont forget Dusenberrys Can Am's. All great choices all have issues .
Motors . CR's are the cheapest and easiest to find. Starting to see more KX's in the 90's and there is a ton of research done by various builders because of the big dirt bike program Kawasaki has.
Motor builders . All the big ones are good. Janssen , Baldwin, Herrick, Grissom. But their is also a lot of little guys who are just as good and maybe quite a bit cheaper. Remember these motors have been around a Lon time.
Shocks and suspension are same as above . Lots of choices. I would make a few phone calls and talk to different shock guys and build my opinion from there. Andy **** from **** Tech is a huge name in TT racing but he also knows his stuff with MX racing . Last set of TT shocks he was straight up 3 weeks . But that was a total transformation of mx shocks to shortening them for TT. Shipped them back in just over 2 weeks. Very pleased with the service.
If I was going to spend the money I would use Six 5 design Alpha chassis, **** Tech Axis shocks, Ryno Racing Built KX 85 , Precision Stabilizer and Handle Bar mounts.

miniquaddad90
05-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Im partial to the Fischer builds. We have a one off XC version, my daughter loves it

Logan #34's Dad
05-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Here's my two cents from a guy who's now done with mini's...WOOOHOOO!.
As stated, size and future size of the rider is the biggest factor is this decision. The Cobra chassis is proven with whoever's components... but if your rider is tall or up to 120 lbs, you need to move up to something else.
Hands down the Robert's chassis is the strongest. JB continues to improve his as needed.
BUT, for my then 14 year old, the full size chassis was the way to go now looking back... the CanAm chassis is far lighter than anything else out there.... I made my own brackets for the engine BUT the Six5design brackets are king(Jake is the man). For what is worth, I had under half the money in my CanAm's than all our competition.
Engine: Zimmerman's PR2 Suzuki's are fast as crap. I am not a fan of the Honda 150 ONLY cause of costs involved in making them fast... As far as engine builders: The big dirt bike engine builders are best...example: PR2 or Mitch at Pro Circuit...
Now, I hear the new Kawasaki KX 85 is badazz from the factory... now, send that to Pro Circuit and blister the field.
Shocks, pick your poison. The newest version of shocks work great... I like Fox floats cause they are light... But our PB1's are awesome!
If money is no object, and your rider is 110lbs and growing, buy the new Six5design set up. It is set up to accept motors as the rider grows including a 450! Buy one quad and be done... as we all know, you loose your butt on mini's on resale...
If money is a factor, get a CanAm and put a PR2 RM in it... Throw the JB components on it and go racing... works for Hetrick....
AND LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANT: If your rider does not push his thumb forward...it does not matter what they are riding.
Did I mention that we are not in the mini classes anymore? LOL.