PDA

View Full Version : What does this sound like to you guys

ansimation
04-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Alright so one of my 400ex's took a crap on me a few months ago I was riding down the road and she just died, lost power. While coasting down the paved road I was able to jump start it for a minute and got a little further before it doed again. It will crank and turn over all day long (until the battery dies) but will not start. Took the plug out, there is spark. If we try and pull/jump-start it, it acts like it wants to run but as soon as you slow down, it dies again. About a year and a half ago my other 400ex did the same thing but it was the flywheel and stator that needed replaced in it (I did not check to see if it had spark then). Do you guys think it could be the stator in this? Even if it is getting spark? I'm about to order one off of ebay but my pops swears that if it's getting spark then it's not the stator. I think he's wrong. What do you guys think?

KKiowaTJ
04-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Take the valve cover off and inspect the cam chain and or see if it jumped a tooth.

ansimation
04-23-2014, 03:15 PM
I wouldnt even know how to tell if it did to be honest. Any pointers?

KKiowaTJ
04-23-2014, 05:44 PM
I think you go off the marks for TDC. But im not 100% sure, someone who has much more knowledge will chime in. But taking the cover off and checking the cam chain and guides and possibly check the valves wouldn't hurt.
Is it also getting fuel? Or enough of it? If you just got it out, The jets might just be clogged and need cleaned out.

LxMxL97
04-23-2014, 07:01 PM
To check if it's in time
1. Remove all front and side plastic and tank including the heat shield under the tank
2. Remove the 2 plugs on the left side of the motor (if you're sitting on the bike)
3. Get a 17mm socket with a long extension and turn the motor over until you reach TDC (top dead center) you will be able to tell this by looking In the other hole I reccomend you use a flashlight to see and in the flywheel T will be stamped on with a Line align this with the other mark
4. Remove the valve cover
5. On the gear that the timing chain rides on there should be 3 marks one pointing directly up and one on each side aligning with the top the head (the surface where the valve cover seats)

ansimation
04-23-2014, 07:02 PM
It definitely has to be at TDC and the lines on the gear have to line up horizontally with the valve cover and then the dot on top but I just get confused on which way the lobes need to face. I think 2 go down and 2 go forward but I'm not 100% on that.

As for getting fuel, It's getting into the carb and into the bowl at least because when I pulled it out to work on it and turned the gas on, it started pouring out of it. I had the drain screw opened so it wasn't stored with gas in it. How would I go about making sure it's getting fuel? I'm pretty sure it is, but would like to be certain.

KKiowaTJ
04-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Yes, Marks have to line up to have TDC. If not, Just wasting time. Then address the cam lobe issue if there is one, But don't go off the cam to get TDC, LxMx laid out what to do and what to use.

To make sure its getting fuel the best thing is to drop the bowl, Clean out the jets, And alleviate all doubt. But to make it easy just try and start it with the plug dry giving it a tad of throttle and pull the plug and see if its wet. Not 100 accurate though on too much or not enough etc.

LxMxL97
04-24-2014, 05:21 AM
It definitely has to be at TDC and the lines on the gear have to line up horizontally with the valve cover and then the dot on top but I just get confused on which way the lobes need to face. I think 2 go down and 2 go forward but I'm not 100% on that.

As for getting fuel, It's getting into the carb and into the bowl at least because when I pulled it out to work on it and turned the gas on, it started pouring out of it. I had the drain screw opened so it wasn't stored with gas in it. How would I go about making sure it's getting fuel? I'm pretty sure it is, but would like to be certain. don't worry about the way the lobes face because if the motor ran prior to this it would have been impossible for the cam to jump time so much that your cam would be 180* out of time