PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to be back in the game!

300ridr
04-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Okay guys, its been like three years since I sold my 300ex, and I just need to get back to riding. a buddy of mine is going to sell me his 400ex for $425. It needs a front wheel bearing and a rebuild. I believe the only thing done to it is an hmf slip on. my plans for the rebuild are 87mm wiseco 11:1 piston, stage two hotcam, and replace the valves with some kibblewhites. I will probably send the head off and have it ported and probably a 3 angle valve job. ill also dremel out the head pipe welds if it would help the port job breathe better? my main question is what else should I replace? I figured id probably do valve seals and guides, and maybe gtt studs just to be safe? in the future I will widen it and do 450r shocks..i mainly ride trails and my old 300 kept me happy, and a stock 400 has more grunt than my mild 300 ever did so I should be plenty satisfied with the power..and im hoping that the initial motor build with bike cost should stay under $1500 :)

400man
04-23-2014, 11:31 AM
the valves and porting will cost the most. if it was me id use that money for suspension. just gotta see what all needs fixed inside the motor. sounds like a really good deal though!

CJM
04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Valves shouldnt need to be replaced, Ive had plenty of these EX motors apart and the valves rarely fail. Save the money on porting and do the suspension.

KKiowaTJ
04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
A fresh clutch wouldn't hurt. With the low selling price and the fact you are going to open the motor up, A solid clutch kit to start off with IMO would be money well spent.

cheater13
04-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Man, wish I could score another 400 for that price! I wouldn't worry with the head studs for now until you see a problem with them. I still have stock studs in my 43hp build. Focus on your general maintenance stuff first. No need to get a clutch yet, but it wouldn't hurt. I had my stock clutch in since 05 or 06 and it still works good.

Like CJM said, find a good porter and get them 450 shocks on you wanna do down the road and you will be pretty happy.

300ridr
04-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Tanks for the info guys! Unfortunately that kid wound up selling the bike from under me! :( luckily my cousin has one that he bought brand new he'd sell for a grand..he told me it has a new clutch in it too..only issues are that it smokes a bit and a carb issue causing a backfire when not in full stomp..and a few cosmetic things..he even has a title and it has a white bros e series pipe on it..as far as the smoke what could that be? Valve seals or maybe guides?

miller821
04-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Tanks for the info guys! Unfortunately that kid wound up selling the bike from under me! :( luckily my cousin has one that he bought brand new he'd sell for a grand..he told me it has a new clutch in it too..only issues are that it smokes a bit and a carb issue causing a backfire when not in full stomp..and a few cosmetic things..he even has a title and it has a white bros e series pipe on it..as far as the smoke what could that be? Valve seals or maybe guides?

Would most likely depend on when and for how long it smokes. If it's just for a few seconds after start up it could be the seals. If it's constantly smoking after start up it could be the rings going out.

300ridr
04-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Yeah it mainly smoked when he revved it..it still runs strong though

DragonGunner
05-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Yeah it mainly smoked when he revved it..it still runs strong though

Sounds like a good deal, I would just tear down and clean the carb with good carb cleaner and check the air filter......so are you getting it?