PDA

View Full Version : TRX 90 starting problems

big_poppa49
04-22-2014, 02:32 PM
I have a 97' TRX 90 thats having problems starting. I just very recently had the carb rebuilt because it was dripping gas from the overflow. Well after the rebuild the dripping has stopped and im having problems starting. It takes alot of pulls to finally crank but once it is running it runs great! Idles nice and smooth and never skips. Its just getting it started. Im sure it might be a tuning issue but I dont know what screws to turn in what direction. I have put a brand new spark plug in too with no luck on the problem. Also it seems like when its at a idle, if you suddenly (fast) go to WOT, it hesitates. But if you slowly rev it up its fine.

Any help with this starting problem??? Also it seems to be worse if the bike if warm, like if u run it for a while then cut it off and try to crank it right back up it seems like its even harder to crank then when cold

blacknblue#2
04-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Were any jets changed during the cleaning or just cleaned. If no jets were changed I bet the air fuel screw is out of adjustment. Im not familiar with that carb but more than likely the air fuel is on the very bottom threading up into the carb. Im guessing it needs turned out but could need to go either direction. Be careful not to back it out too far you will lose it while riding. 3 turns out max from bottomed out

big_poppa49
04-23-2014, 06:28 AM
Not sure if the jets were changed or not. The guy that done the work is a good ATV /motorcycle mech., so if he didnt change the jets im sure he made sure they were not clogged. Now the screw you are talking about, I see two screws, one is above the other, the one on top faces you from the side when u look at it, the other is going slanted down into the carb. does screwing it in make it leaner and screwing it out make it richer on fuel?

blacknblue#2
04-23-2014, 07:03 AM
I would be sure itn is the air fuel screw before you turn it. Like I said im not sure where it is on those and dont wanna lead you to messing with something else. When you know for sure you have the air fuel. ...screwing it in will lean it and screwing it out will richen it

big_poppa49
04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/big_poppa4904/KEIHIN-ORIGINAL-Carburetor-Carb-TRX-90-70-PIT-BIKE-XR50_zps6425056b.jpg (http://s457.photobucket.com/user/big_poppa4904/media/KEIHIN-ORIGINAL-Carburetor-Carb-TRX-90-70-PIT-BIKE-XR50_zps6425056b.jpg.html)

Here is basically the two screws thats on there. Which is the air/fuel?

blacknblue#2
04-24-2014, 07:02 AM
If those are the only 2 screws on the carb then im guessing the flat head screw is the air fuel. The Phillips screw appears to be threaded into the slide barrel which would make it the idle adjuster.