PDA

View Full Version : hot rods vs stock vs rebuilt stock by crank works?

kono993
04-20-2014, 08:52 AM
is it more worth while to get my crank re built instead of buying a new one? my 05 is on its last leg with its current crank (bottom connecting rod thrust washers are coming apart lots of aluminum shavings in the filter) quad still runs that's why im thinking of just tearing it down puling the crank sending it out to crank works for like $275-300 would almost be the same as buying a new one..but would still need to buy all my gaskets and whatever else but also thought of doing the all in one crank kit from hot rods but i was reading its good to get them trued and balances and welded? and also i was reading people prefer the oem crank bearings over hr? let me know what you think im interested to see what you guys do thanks

ds268
04-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Can't beat a hot rods HD crank with OEM bearings price wise for a mild build. Anything past 60ish then it would be highly advisable to have it balanced and welded by CW. If sending that stock crank out, they'll probably need to replace the rod anyway so you're looking at a pretty good bill.

kono993
05-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Can't beat a hot rods HD crank with OEM bearings price wise for a mild build. Anything past 60ish then it would be highly advisable to have it balanced and welded by CW. If sending that stock crank out, they'll probably need to replace the rod anyway so you're looking at a pretty good bill.
i wont be over 60 i don't think im going stg2 hotcam, fcr carb, and a stock comp je piston i want it to be as reliable as possible. and what i was thinking anyway to much of a hassle anyway ill just buy a whole new crank

Peterson-Racing
05-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Just rebuild that crank with a hot rod kit. Stay away from there main bearings. I have had many problems with them and only use OEM now. You do not need the crank balanced for sure. Waist of time and money. I have been building and balancing cranks for 22 yrs and it is not necessary for your build at all. I'm sure your guy can do it but if he can't contact me and I will handle it for you. I can do it for you cheep and fast. Free shipping back to you.

Ex_Rider43
06-02-2014, 10:50 PM
I use the stock crank with the HR rod on them and OEM bearings. i am pushing for a 3rd season on the same crank in my race motor so far so good. HR changed the rod recently i think for the worst so i bought a crankworks rod to try for next year.