PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? 450R shock swap!

KKiowaTJ
04-17-2014, 10:33 PM
So I haven't had a chance to get my parts installed and decided to take the quad out as is. Was a nice day to hit some jumps and really test out the 450R's. Ive had them on my mini test oval and they were a lot better and didn't lay over.
Other than that, Street only since my clutch is on its last adjustment and works fine until I get clutch happy. I took my time as it was the first time out this year but as soon as I was not observing the terrain and looking for logs etc.
Soon as I took the first jump I was not happy! The front popped up and sent me sailing! I went through and hit a better one and the face to the landing was still sketchy to me. The front comes up but or it feels that way even at slower speeds and a quick burst up the face. They were not consistent either in the reaction for some reason.
It will get me hurt and I honestly felt more comfortable with the oem pogo's. I knew what to expect and how much they could take, Now its un predictable almost every time. Is this the way they ride when 'just swapped' to a 400? Not custom fit?
Im curious if its the 1"+ ride height gain and the stiff as hell compression. Maybe im not used to them and first time and all, But when I add a arms and axle, That's a whole other iron in the fire to learn just how far you can push them.
Sorry for the little ***** rant, But for all the happy people that ran/run them, Im not a fan by no means when it comes to mx/jumps.

Blodg
04-18-2014, 05:53 AM
Put the stock ones back on if you liked them better although you are the first person I have heard say that. Did you back the preload adjustment all the way out? I did that and it was definitely an improvement over stock, I personally would never ride with OEM front shocks on an EX. The huge improvement, however, comes after you have them revalved and resprung.

CJM
04-18-2014, 06:59 AM
They are alot stiffer than the stock shocks, but an upgrade none the less. If you keep them play with the compression and rebound adjustments or have them redone for ya.

KKiowaTJ
04-18-2014, 10:41 AM
I have the pre load spanners all the way at the top so the spring is as soft as can get. I did last fall but will check and try again, The comp/de-comp screws on the shocks themselves. IIRC I set them for easy compression.
Im gonna mess around with them and see what it nets. But I don't think im going to wait on getting them built to my weight and new springs. It could also be the terrain/area i was riding, Creek bed/flood area that is soft and takes a few laps and a line is cut, Real soft ground.
Oh well, Trail and error! Maybe I was happy from the control aspect of them not laying over and going where pointed, I hit the SOB too fast.

KKiowaTJ
04-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Got a chance to put a couple hours on it again. Found out the problem, I removed the tampon from behind the thumb throttle! They take some getting used too and the front still comes up more, But nothing I cant handle. Cant wait to start getting parts installed and see what she will really do.

Ba9801
05-06-2014, 08:13 PM
I have 450R shocks on mine and I had GT Thunder revalve and respring them and they are amazing. They really need to be adjusted to your ride weight and terrain you are riding, but a large upgrade over the stock pogo's and they don't overheat when you really start riding them hard.

foti
05-07-2014, 07:32 AM
While the stock 450R shocks are a large upgrade in capability, in stock form they really upset the balance of the 400. I forgot how amazing the 400 is in the woods until I made some modifications to the shocks. To be honest, I would run the stockers unless someone goes through the 450Rs.