PDA

View Full Version : Truck question

HondaRacing83
04-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Whatsup guys havnt been around much been busy with work and stuff but I'm buying my very first truck soon as i can get my license really soon. I got a job as soon as i turned 16 but it was **** at mcdonalds working like under 10hours a week i worked there about a month didnt make jack **** now im working at a local steak house washing dishes making above min wage 30 hours a week plus school and managed to pack away about $1500 real quick. The original plan was that my dad told me for my first truck he would match what i put up so you know once i came to cope with the fact i cant afford a diesel i wanted a lifted jeep or truck or something you know what every 16 year old wants to buy. Well my grandpa told me last night out of the blue that hes giving me $3600 towards my first vehicle im like woahh **** haha. But now my dad has the money and with that my dad gave me "rules" on what i can buy now. No jeeps because they rust out from what my dad says not that i agree with it but nothing with over 150k, nothing already lifted. So i am thinking i wanna buy a ZR2 s10 or blazer or a ext cab dodge dakota lift it myself. Maybe a danger ranger. Dont really have much interest in buying a half ton. Only thing ill be hauling is my 450 or a deer haha. Not like i plan on towing ****. Whats everyone think of zr2's or dakotas and rangers? I really wanted to buy a wrangler but im not gonna refuse free money.

cloudpump
04-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Are you going to be towing?

CJM
04-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Your 16, whatever it is your going to destroy. Dont spend to much and buy something decent at best. Dont buy something super nice, cause you will just ruin it in the end. Dont buy anything lifted to the hilt with huge tires as well-you will complain about having to fill it up with gas.

chronicsmoke
04-16-2014, 05:50 AM
on my second dakota.. only complaints is fuel consumtion and ****ty chrysler trannies

fastredrider44
04-16-2014, 09:00 AM
If you like the ZR2, see if you can find one with a 5 spd. The 4.3 motor feels a whole lot better with a 5 spd than the auto transmission in my opinion, and gets better mileage. I agree with CJM, don't blow your entire budget on your first vehicle. There is a very real chance that it will get destroyed in one way or another.

KKiowaTJ
04-16-2014, 06:04 PM
All vehicles rust and my 01' ZR2 s10 has more on it that my lifted 95' Jeep. I feel bad for you since you dad is a moron and you will end up with something you hate.
To find a ZR2 under 150k for a decent price is almost impossible. They get full size fuel mileage so you might as well have the room of one and 8 cylinders. They ride rougher than crap no matter the shock and they make only one lift for them and its a crap company, Rough country. Not too much aftermarket support for them at all.
A jeep is great, But will only get 18mpg tops and if you plan on towing you will need a 4.0L. But well worth it to have no top or doors in summer and 4x4 for winter.
I was told that when I was buying my first jeep at 15 years old. So I told my father fine, Don't need or want you're money and bought my own so I got exactly what I wanted. That way you will take care of it more and understand the investment you have in it. Good luck either way

beastlywarrior
04-16-2014, 08:40 PM
My friends got a zr2 with a lift on 35's. He might be looking to sell

Stickman400
04-17-2014, 11:17 PM
I've had 2 Rangers and have no complaints other than things that I did when I was young and dumb and what the PO had done to it. Very reliable and very easy to work on when you're still trying to learn to work on your on stuff. Try to find one for 5-7k with around 100-130k miles if you can. Preferably with the 3.0 or 4.0 and whatever you want for the tranny, either is fine, manual of course is funner and gets better mileage but gets old after 3 or 4 years, atleast for me it did. Don't get the turd 2.5 because you'll want more power and it is a slug, doesn't get any better mileage then the V6 counter-parts either since you constantly have your foot in it, also has 8 spark plugs for no reason at all other than to cost you more money. Extended cab is also nice if you're a bigger guy or like a good sounds system or need more interior room. I also know that that 2.5 is junk because I had 33s and a 3" lift on my 2000 ranger and even with a 4:10 rear end it still had no balls at all. If you were going into a 10-15 mph wind or going up a 30% grade or more, you had to downshift to 4th and floor it and even then you were lucky to hold 65. It didn't even have the guts to get over 75 or 80 on a flat level road with no wind.