PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting accelerator pump?

frogburner
04-08-2014, 06:57 PM
I recently put my 2001 440EX back together and it runs great except for one thing. When I stab the throttle from idle, the motor wants to die. I'm almost positive this is because of the accelerator pump because the motor runs excellent. Any help on how and the best way to adjust this would be greatly appreciated. The carb is a Edlebrock Quicksilver.

LxMxL97
04-09-2014, 05:00 AM
I recently put my 2001 440EX back together and it runs great except for one thing. When I stab the throttle from idle, the motor wants to die. I'm almost positive this is because of the accelerator pump because the motor runs excellent. Any help on how and the best way to adjust this would be greatly appreciated. The carb is a Edlebrock Quicksilver.

Are you sure your bike is warm because if not they will do what you're saying

frogburner
04-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Are you sure your bike is warm because if not they will do what you're saying

The bike is warm, I had been riding it around a bit before I tried to adjust. I turned the screw out 3 turns on the float bowl and think I made it worse.

cheater13
04-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Sounds like the main jets needs bumped up maybe? Maybe your pilot needs to up a size if your screw is turned out 3 turns. Mine did that sometimes with my 450 carb on and I bumped the main up and it seemed to go away.

DragonGunner
04-10-2014, 08:01 PM
I had the Doug Eichner series for seveal yrs. Isn't there a red knob on top of carb....has about 30 or so clicks to richen or lean? Only if you get all the way out do you need to change the main jet.

frogburner
04-10-2014, 08:08 PM
I had the Doug Eichner series for seveal yrs. Isn't there a red knob on top of carb....has about 30 or so clicks to richen or lean? Only if you get all the way out do you need to change the main jet.

The carb is definitely not maxed out on the needle. I actually had it a shade rich the other day and finally got it dialed in, ever since then the motor is running perfect, just the stabbing of the throttle from idle kills it though. I still think I need a little tweaking on the pump, but not sure how. Is there any type of baseline instructions I can go by maybe?

ride red 14
04-10-2014, 10:25 PM
do those carbs have a leak jet on that accelerator pump like the fcr carbs? I know the 06+ fcr do that also and that leak jet has to be leaned out some to cure it.

DragonGunner
04-11-2014, 05:32 AM
The carb is definitely not maxed out on the needle. I actually had it a shade rich the other day and finally got it dialed in, ever since then the motor is running perfect, just the stabbing of the throttle from idle kills it though. I still think I need a little tweaking on the pump, but not sure how. Is there any type of baseline instructions I can go by maybe?

How long did your carb sit.....if it had gas in it it may of crudded up inside there...I would take it apart and spray carb cleaner real good everywhere and try it again.

maybe this will help also...

The Edelbrock Qwik Silver carb virtually eliminates cold starting problems because of the built in accelerator pump. Accelerator pumps are mainly used for four stroke motors where instant low rpm throttle response is needed. It’s also fully adjustable to fine tune throttle response for different combinations and riding styles. The pump adjustment screw is set to 2 ¼ turns out. By turning the adjustment screw to the left it will allow more fuel to be returned back to the float bowl resulting in less fuel being sent to the pump squirter to feed the motor. The further in the adjustment the less fuel is sent to the float bowl.

I would assume if you turned it out 3 turns, then maybe too much gas on instant throttle and its bogging.....sometimes just a 1/4 turn makes a difference. Go back to 2 1/4 and and try 1/4 turn at a time either left or right and try riding until you get it.

frogburner
04-11-2014, 09:39 PM
How long did your carb sit.....if it had gas in it it may of crudded up inside there...I would take it apart and spray carb cleaner real good everywhere and try it again.

maybe this will help also...

The Edelbrock Qwik Silver carb virtually eliminates cold starting problems because of the built in accelerator pump. Accelerator pumps are mainly used for four stroke motors where instant low rpm throttle response is needed. It’s also fully adjustable to fine tune throttle response for different combinations and riding styles. The pump adjustment screw is set to 2 ¼ turns out. By turning the adjustment screw to the left it will allow more fuel to be returned back to the float bowl resulting in less fuel being sent to the pump squirter to feed the motor. The further in the adjustment the less fuel is sent to the float bowl.

I would assume if you turned it out 3 turns, then maybe too much gas on instant throttle and its bogging.....sometimes just a 1/4 turn makes a difference. Go back to 2 1/4 and and try 1/4 turn at a time either left or right and try riding until you get it.

I'll give that a try this weekend and see what the results are. That should at least give me a baseline to go off of. Thanks, very much appreciated