PDA

View Full Version : 450r subframe on a 400ex??

400man
04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
how hard would it be to mount a 450r subframe on a 400ex? Id kinda like to run 450r rear fenders and I like how just the seat comes off and the fenders stay on the subframe.

Stickman400
04-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Probably be harder than you would think. I can't remember but I think the mounts for the 450s sub-frame are wider than the 400s, so you would have to widen those. Then you would have to modify the airbox to work, either with the 400s or 450s, then the exhaust mount may or may no work. Also the battery box is too small on the 450s sub-frame, so you would have to either get a different battery that would work, or re-locate the battery into the airbox and remove the battery mount. Also not sure if the rear shock is going to clear the airbox depending on how it gets mounted.

400man
04-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Probably be harder than you would think. I can't remember but I think the mounts for the 450s sub-frame are wider than the 400s, so you would have to widen those. Then you would have to modify the airbox to work, either with the 400s or 450s, then the exhaust mount may or may no work. Also the battery box is too small on the 450s sub-frame, so you would have to either get a different battery that would work, or re-locate the battery into the airbox and remove the battery mount. Also not sure if the rear shock is going to clear the airbox depending on how it gets mounted.

hmmm......... so it wouldn't work probably. I guess I would have better luck just modifying a 400 sub frame to mount 450r fends and seat on.

Stickman400
04-06-2014, 11:31 PM
I would have to go look at both of mine to make sure, but I think it wouldn't be worth the headache. I had a friend the mounted a set of '04-'05 450 fenders on his 400, it didn't look too bad. He just kinda hacked it on the there with ****ty brackets for the front fenders and zip ties on the back, but it worked. If you put some time into the mounts I'm sure it would be much easier doing it that way,