PDA

View Full Version : cr80 vs 2fast

undergroundart
04-03-2014, 11:52 PM
with 4 weeks till our first race im getting a little concerned about our engine. I have a stock cr80 with a full fmf pipe. on a blaster mod. this will be only for short track racing only. this will be my boys first year racing with a clutch so there s gonna be a learning curve for sure. but is the engine gonna be able to at least stay some what close? Or should I spend these next couple of weeks doing engine work. and if so what? porting? go to a full 90cc? something else?

LT80
04-04-2014, 07:15 AM
I think it's fine as it is for a starter machine.
As your son's riding skills increase, then you may want to do something. Untill then, it's not the motor going to restrict him.
Most motor builders are busy now that it's race season so a month prolly isn't enough anyways.

undergroundart
04-04-2014, 01:35 PM
man I hope so. on eric gorr's website he says that he keeps ported jugs on hand so the turn around time is pretty fast. I guess we ll see how the first race goes and make plans for the rest of the season after that

fomospede
04-04-2014, 03:07 PM
how about you give him hours of ride time and tune what you have already
seat time seat time seat time !!! my .02

undergroundart
04-04-2014, 10:03 PM
I agree on the seat time complety. the weather isn t being real nice to us right now. we just got about 2 inches of snow yesterday.

fomospede
04-04-2014, 10:18 PM
im driving 350 miles south to make some ride time ,it has been a long spring !!!

undergroundart
04-04-2014, 11:33 PM
oh boy, that's a pretty serious trip. my boys are doing a hare scramble this weekend. pretty sure its gonna be a big mud hole.

edwardsp&b
04-22-2014, 10:22 AM
IMO....Depending on the rider...YES. I always thought that the shifter just has another gear if ridden by a rider that can hold it pinned for 5 laps.....The 2fasts are hard to beat. They are very powerful, and the rider will never miss a gear. But, in a long straightaway the shifter will pull away from the CVT. But again, you have to have a rider to hold it pinned.

undergroundart
04-23-2014, 12:11 AM
had some engine issues so I sent the engine out to be rebuilt. at least now we ll have a good base line to go off of and know what to expect from it. my 2 boys will have to share a quad for a race or two. that should be fun, ha