PDA

View Full Version : Made a stupid mistake....

ryanbriggs
03-30-2014, 07:02 PM
My key was left in the "on" position while in neutral since the last time I used my 400.. As would be expected the battery died.. First mistake was that I was lazy and did not disconnect the electrical system from the battery before charging.. Second idiot mistake was seeing if it would turn over while being charged. All the happened was a "click" and the neutral light no longer worked and the battery charger will not charge the battery.. What damage did my foolishness cause? The 15amp fuse is still good so where do I look next?

KKiowaTJ
03-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Is the charger sparking/working? I use 50amp jump/boost sometimes when the connections get dirty. Im on the original battery I bought it with too and its non oem. You could have fried the battery though with it hooked up, But has never happened to me on anything.
Try using another battery to check to see if you burnt the wiring, Just ask a friend so you don't waste money and can find out if you melted something in the harness or starter. Or jumper cables from a car, Check the key situation and neutral. I do it all the with small batteries and have never had a problem. Good luck either way

ryanbriggs
03-30-2014, 08:53 PM
I just checked over everything and pretty sure I didn't fry any wire/fuse/etc. In whim I popped the top off the battery and it was bone dry. I filled it with the appropriate fluid and the charger will now charge the thing. I am thinking the battery was barely holding charge before and I just drained what was left with my attempt to turn it over. The charger hasn't thrown up an error code and its been on for about 30 minutes so we shall see tomorrow.

miller821
03-30-2014, 09:40 PM
That's happened to me more than once before, don't worry you haven't hurt anything as far as your electrical goes. Your battery may or may not be salvageable however, from my experience and depending on how long you left the system on your battery may not hold the charge.

KKiowaTJ
03-30-2014, 10:25 PM
You boiled it dry. Chances are like mentioned, Wont hold the charge. Ebay or advance has batteries that are cheap and last a decent time. Or if you need more cca and reserve for lights the busa battery or the like.