PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm pivot bolt stuck in engine

mtsnieg
03-27-2014, 12:36 PM
My swingarm pivot bearings are roasted. The swinger wiggles around on the bolt, but the bolt doesnt move. It seems to be froze in the engine. Have to cut it up.Ive read the how to threads. I cannot slide the engine. There appears to be a small amount of roon to cut between the swinger and left side of the engine. Has anyone had to go this route? I know the bushings in the engine are like gold.

Thanks, Matt

CJM
03-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Tried PBlaster and an impact gun while someone taps on the bolt?

If you have to cut it its better to ruin the swingarm than the motor bushings.

mtsnieg
03-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately the head on the pivot bolt is stripped. Might try welding a nut on it and trying again.

DragonGunner
03-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Had this same problem, had a lodestar swinger on it, not going to cut that up. We drilled as big and far into the threaded in. Then began to torch it the rest out to the needle bearings. Then we went to other side and grinded off the the other side flush with the frame so it it was all bolt so we could try and drive it out from oppistie side. We then was able to punch it out from opposite side with a little torching as it came out.

Mtndew99
03-27-2014, 02:12 PM
I had to cut mine out it was easier to just buy a new bolt but I already had another swingarm

mtsnieg
03-27-2014, 02:59 PM
I cant believe what a pain this is. My 85 200x and 85 250 pivot bolts came out with minimal beatings.

mtsnieg
03-27-2014, 03:06 PM
So the pivot bolt will come out reverse, if I grind the head off and beat it out from the right side? The bolt is now slightly bent on the nut side threads sticking out of the frame.

njohnson911
03-27-2014, 04:24 PM
ive got the same problem this week and with the information in the forum a found a nice way to pull it of without cutting it. it have work for me. before try to spray some pbblaster.
after:
1. tight the bolt with the nut. after that with an air impact wrench turn the bolt foward and backward. with the nuts in place it will squeeze the bushing between the frame and the motor and the bolt will start turning freely (because where its stuck is in the bushing)
2. pull off the nut
3 put your quad on the side (right)
4. spary some pb blaster and wd40
5 with a punch and a hammer, you should be able to pull it off. (i have use a 8pouds hammer)

they key is to be patient

all this lonely, you dont need someesle to help you

wish it will help you

DragonGunner
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM
So the pivot bolt will come out reverse, if I grind the head off and beat it out from the right side? The bolt is now slightly bent on the nut side threads sticking out of the frame.

Yes, it work for me. Had nothing to lose so we gave it a shot.

LxMxL97
03-27-2014, 06:31 PM
I had to cut mine and drill the rest of the bolt out of the motor

KKiowaTJ
03-27-2014, 07:02 PM
This sounds like a kick to the sack, hope mine isn't that bad. If so, Guess new swinger time and that sucks as mine has little to no wear on it for as old as it is. But when that time comes, Ill exhaust all options before I cut but at least I know there is 'no perfect way' and 'no wrong way' to remove the *******. Good luck fighting it

LxMxL97
03-28-2014, 04:56 AM
I take my pivot bolt out and apply "never seize" or "anti seize" same thing it just has a couple different names but it's a grayish silver paste that works wonders and DO NOT. Get it on you or clothing because it's impossible to get off

DragonGunner
03-28-2014, 06:17 AM
I take my pivot bolt out and apply "never seize" or "anti seize" same thing it just has a couple different names but it's a grayish silver paste that works wonders and DO NOT. Get it on you or clothing because it's impossible to get off

THIS ^^^^^ I had used just grease. The guy who help me get mine out said to get anti-seize, I put that on all new parts and new bolt. The last time I had it out was 7 yrs. ago, I think I will be taking it out every couple years from now on, and clean and inspect. Those past 7 yrs. really rusted bad, compared to the previous yrs.

LxMxL97
03-28-2014, 06:51 AM
I know this isn't necessary but I take mine out about every 5 or so rides

mtsnieg
03-28-2014, 07:44 AM
The bolt is stuck tight in the engine. Not budging. We even put the torch on it a couple times. I think I'm gonna try to drill it out where it goes through the swinger on both sides first before cutting. The bolt is hollow so it might not be too difficult to drill out. At least then I should be able to remove the swinger and engine. Then use a press for the rest that is stuck in the engine. On my other rides the pivot bolt is removed twice a year, cleaned and anti-siezed.

ben300
03-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Dont want to sound like that guy, but I'm gonna be that guy, and say that you guys need to take the pivot bolt out and clean and grease it and inspect your bearings at least once a year. I take mine out every 4-5 races, depending on how rocky the races were. I completely clean the engine pivot hole and bushing as best I can with PB blaster and degreaser, then I grease it, the bearings in the swinger, and the pivolt bolt (coat the outside of it) with (I think its Lucas) Red N Tacky #2. Its a grease thats water resistant, prevents rust and has anti-sieze properties, and has a drop point of 540°F so its good for engine heat. Its amazing how much easier your swing arm pivot bolt comes out once you do this regularly. I pretty much take the nut off, and punch it out with a screw driver and hammer with only a couple slight hits.

Anther thing that helps is if after your done riding and you clean your quad, I like to spray in that area with either WD-40 or Maxima Chain lube (if I'm out of WD-40), that way there is always a lubricant back there. Not sure if it helps, but I'm gonna say it does.

Zakradu398
03-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Oh boy just thinking abgout what I had to do to get my swinger bolt out.....

Ended up having to cut the bolt in 3 or 4 places to remove the swingarm. After that was off, removed motor and had a friend drill the rest of the bolt out of the back motor bushing. Be very careful if you end up doing this, bushing is not replaceable.

Blodg
03-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Ben300, if you remove and grease your bolt every 4 or 5 races it had better come out easy! I do my EX once per year as part of winter maintenance. My 250R has a Laeger with a grease zerk for the pivot bolt. Lubing it once per year just using the zerk and the bolt slides right out after several years. But it also does not run through the engine which probably makes a big difference.

LxMxL97
03-28-2014, 08:01 PM
When you do cut it try to cut just the bolt and not the sleeve because that metal is very hard

CJM
03-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Never seize, that stuff is very hard to get off anything and very resistant to water. I take my bolt out 2x a year and never an issue.

cheater13
03-29-2014, 05:48 AM
We did whatever we could to get that dumb pivot bolt out. It was the biggest pain in the a** ever.

Once a month, I'm taking it out and cleaning/greasing it from now on.

mtsnieg
03-29-2014, 08:06 AM
I bought the 400ex a couple a months ago, got a pretty good deal on it. I guess that came back to bite me. I have it all stripped down ready to start cutting. Too many beers last night, I thought it would be a good idea to start cutting with a fresh mind.

It appears I have to cuth throght the bushings and the bolt together, a couple times, how woult I avoid the bushings and cut just the bolt? The bolt is inside the bushings. If I can figure out on my phone I'll post a couple a pics.

mtsnieg
03-29-2014, 08:20 AM
I plan on cutting in the three places by the blue stiks. That should give me good wiggle room to get the engine out. I have a nice auto body saw with a very fast and short stroke:eek: . The blade is half the size of a sawzall blade too. Hopefully it gits er done.

ben300
03-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Ben300, if you remove and grease your bolt every 4 or 5 races it had better come out easy! I do my EX once per year as part of winter maintenance. My 250R has a Laeger with a grease zerk for the pivot bolt. Lubing it once per year just using the zerk and the bolt slides right out after several years. But it also does not run through the engine which probably makes a big difference.

running that bolt through the rear of the trans case is probably one of the (if they could look back on it) dumbest design ideas. i under stand the idea of tieing the motor to the frame, but they should have at least put a zerk fitting on there and some bearings or something else.

And I agree, lol, it should come out no problem. I leave my quad at my parents and use my fathers garage (I currently dont have a garage where I'm living), and me and him got in an argument the other day about what he considers my "unnecessary" maintenance. I said racing is way more abuse than what the average rider puts there quad through, and I'd rather do this now than have to spend way more money later for something that could have been taken care of with routine maintenance.

ben300
03-29-2014, 08:31 AM
We did whatever we could to get that dumb pivot bolt out. It was the biggest pain in the a** ever.

Once a month, I'm taking it out and cleaning/greasing it from now on.

Thats probably a little over kill, but ya, it needs to be greased at least once a year.

CJM
03-29-2014, 09:44 AM
The problem is people never clean their stuff. I know a guy who literally washes his quads maybe 2-3x a year. Heck if I got the time and its not cold out I wash it after every ride if possible.

It also doesnt help the swingarm bolt bends and thats why it gets stuck besides rust. That and people dont replace the pivot bearings EVER. On my 400ex I had that quad 8 years and tore it down fully to PC just once and that was after 5 years. At that time I replaced the swingarm pivot bearings, cleaned the mounts and bushings REALLY well and made sure the bolt was lubed. Never had an issue. Maintenance is key!

mtsnieg
03-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Ya, this sucks. Should come out like a turd in the morning. Now the whole thing willcome apart, fixed where needed, then be made to look nice like my other stuff.

Got the first cut make. Saws would not work on the bushing. Hard ash shnot. Gotta remove some more then move engine over then repeat.

Does the bushing sticking outa the right side of the engine go through the engine?

ride red 14
03-29-2014, 02:33 PM
no that bushing doesn't go through the motor.
man that looks fun!:cuss: been there before

mtsnieg
03-29-2014, 03:54 PM