PDA

View Full Version : 440 Ex, to build or Not to build

indycowcutter
03-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Ok folks this will more than likely be a question youve heard many times. I want to build a 440 but I have not the slightest idea where to begin. I know I need the kit and thats about it. I see these kits for like $219 in the magazines but I know there's more to it than just the kit. I can turn a wrench and read instructions so I think I can handle the job but I need some sound advise on what kit to get, what cam, and any extras they don't tell you about. My buddys all have yamahas so they don't know much about the EX. One guy told me he'd do the kit, cam and head work for $1000 including parts. I'd still like to do it myself.

Below is what I have to work with

OutlawEX
03-22-2003, 04:33 AM
Id personally ge the 416...But u can get 440 kits on ebay for 185..But then u need to pay atleast another 100 to get the new sleeve pressed in

Steve-o 400EX
03-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
Id personally ge the 416...But u can get 440 kits on ebay for 185..But then u need to pay atleast another 100 to get the new sleeve pressed in

I second that. You can build a really mean 416 for like 500 bucks, you can do it yourself, and it will really make ur ex come to life.

shamisc
03-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Call Mickey Dunlap at Four Stroke Tech. I got my kit from him for $300 shipped. His kit is better than the Wiseco and IMS kit. He uses a thicker sleeve and he has Wiseco custom make his pistons so that they yeild a true 11:1 comp ratio unlike the other kits. My buddy has an IMS 440 w/ JE 11:1 and I beat him by 4 bike lengths in the 1/8 mile. FST's 440 is a real 440 89.5mm. The other kits are actually 435's 88mm. Go with the HotCam stage 2 and get a head port and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Make sure that your cam sprocket flange presses on tightly. It would be a good idea to use red LokTite on the flange when you press it on! Mickey can help you with any question you might have. You can get his number from the main forum page. He's got his own little forum section on here.:cool:

Steven
03-22-2003, 03:13 PM
You can do it yourself. It is quite simple. I had never built one before and I didn't have any trouble. Just get yourself a shop manual and have good tools at your hands.

If I may suggest.. piece the kit together yourself. All you need for a 440 is piston, sleeve, and gaskets. Adding a cam though will really up the power and bring the 440 to life.

The guys have a point though. You can build a 416 without having to resleeve. You would save about $200 and can still run with your budies Yamahas... even if they are Banshees or Craptors.

BTW, $1000 is crazy! I had never done one before and I did it in a day, taking my time. Really you can do it, its easy.

Anyway, there is a little more to it. I have done two 440s now and I learned a thing or two the first time around that I would like to share with you.

1) forget Wiseco pistons and 440 kits. The compression ratios advertised are not accurate. Mine was advertised as 11:1 and when put together was 9.6:1.

2) Get an aftermarket cam. This will add alot of power. Two schools of thought here. Get a reground cam and hardened rockers which will cost about $350 to $400. Or get a billet cam and new factory rockers... about $230. I have done both and like the the billet cam and OEM rockers combo better. My first cam was a White Brothers Track cam (regrind) and my second cam was a Hotcam Steg2 (billet). Power was the same.

3) Do your homework on compression ratios and gaskets. Do a search on this site for "decking" and it will answer all your questions in this arena.

4) Have a machine shop tap the cylinder stud holes deeper in the cylinder. They can get another 3-4 threads in the holes, adding strength to deal with the higher compression.

5) Jet rich for break in. Stay on the rich side and change your oil every 30 hours or so.

6) Lap the valves and get new valve stem seals as long as the head is off. That will freshen the seat for better compression and the new seals are a must. They don't last long on the 400ex.

Thats about it I think.

Check out Ross for pistons, Advanged Sleeve for sleeves, and Hotcams for cams. I called Ross and Advaned sleeve directly and got my piston, sleeve, and gaskets for a good price - $215 just like advertised by most mail order companies. The advantage is that you get to pick your compression ratio and gasket thickness. Aim for at least 10.5:1 for 93 pump gas or go up to 12:1 if you want to run race gas.

416's are nice but wont have the bottom end of a 440. Just depends on the type of power you want I guess.

Steve

RED121572
03-22-2003, 03:47 PM
My piston lost a circlip and I ended up ruining the sleeve. I ordered one of those 185 dollar 440 kits of ebay lastweek.

I wasnt too impressed with the packaging. The Wiseco box that the piston comes in was opened. The lid was torn in half. Only minor bubble wrap was used. I made a note when I bought it off ebay, NOT to send the package in a way I would have to sign for it. Well, I had to pick it up from UPS friday, cause I had to sign for it. The sleeve ended up having a chip in the bottom of it. I called the guy and he told me hes been sending out the wrong compression pistons and didnt realize it until the phone calls came in from customers. Sure enough, instead of the 11.1, I got a 12.5.1

He was more interested in trying to sell me a Hotcams stage 2 than my concern about the chipped sleeve.

In the end of the converstation, He told me to send the sleeve back and I shall get a new one.

The outfit is Pro Action Motor Sports.
You may want to order elsewhere.

Chef
03-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
Call Mickey Dunlap at Four Stroke Tech. I got my kit from him for $300 shipped. His kit is better than the Wiseco and IMS kit. He uses a thicker sleeve and he has Wiseco custom make his pistons so that they yeild a true 11:1 comp ratio unlike the other kits. My buddy has an IMS 440 w/ JE 11:1 and I beat him by 4 bike lengths in the 1/8 mile. FST's 440 is a real 440 89.5mm. The other kits are actually 435's 88mm. Go with the HotCam stage 2 and get a head port and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Make sure that your cam sprocket flange presses on tightly. It would be a good idea to use red LokTite on the flange when you press it on! Mickey can help you with any question you might have. You can get his number from the main forum page. He's got his own little forum section on here.:cool:

88mm is 425, not 435. 435 is 89mm :D

RED121572
03-22-2003, 04:21 PM
If 89mm is actually 435; then how can they get away with advertising it as a 440?

Can someone say, "False Advertisement"