PDA

View Full Version : Where To Store Trail/Road Gear in Truck?

Stickman400
03-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Ok, so as some of your guys know I bought that new Dodge early last year and have been loving it so far. Well I've started buying gear for wheeling it and general tools for an emergency I might have while on the road. Now it is a short bed (6'4") and I'm perfectly happy with that, but now I'm wanting more storage room for tools, straps, snatch block, trail jack possibly, etc. and I don't have nearly enough room in the cab. So I'm wanting something that I can use for a short time and then take out in 5 minutes or so if I need to load one of the wheelers. Now I would get a full size tool box, but that would be a pain to take in and out by myself all the time. So I started looking around and found these aluminum rolling tonneau covers that have a small drop in toolbox that sits down inside the bed rails that would work perfect, but they are $800-900+ the $250 toolbox. Here it is: http://bakindustries.com/p-8241-roll-x-hard-rolling-tonneau-covers-overview.html So before I pull the trigger I'm just wondering if anyone else has an easier/cheaper solution. I do eventually want a tonneau cover so I would kind of kill 2 birds with 1 stone in the process. I've also thought about getting the wheel well toolboxes, but never really like them, and I think they aren't very easy to install/remove like I am wanting. Thanks for any help guys!

beastlywarrior
03-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I just use the cheap small box from walmart

CJM
03-24-2014, 04:23 PM
One of those rubbermaid actionpacker storage boxes would fit the bill. Making it stay put might be an issue unless you use one of those bar things that fit into the bed and keep stuff from moving.

I lived with the toolbox for eons and never had an issue. Could get the slim ones that are like maybe a foot wide, mines 20" and to put a quad back there I gotta put the gate down and strap it in.