PDA

View Full Version : Stock revalves or Elkas

LxMxL97
03-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm wondering wether it would be better to get my stock shocks sent to gt thunder or get a set of shocks with more adjustability like the stage 3 Elkas I ride xc and I really don't know much about adjusting shocks so that's why I'm asking if it would be better to just get the more simple shock

chronicsmoke
03-21-2014, 01:19 PM
The stock rebuilds are probably better than the elkas unless you have the Elka's reworked also.. Even then I dont think the St. 3 has rebound, does it?

jcs003
03-21-2014, 01:42 PM
best advice is to talk to Laz at GTThunder. his HLS shocks are awesome. i am very pleased with the set i have on my 250r and his rear shock set-up he did.

BUT if i had the funds i would get elka stage 5. they are something to dream about.

john

LxMxL97
03-21-2014, 06:58 PM
The stock rebuilds are probably better than the elkas unless you have the Elka's reworked also.. Even then I dont think the St. 3 has rebound, does it?

I would be buying the Elkas new so they wouldn't need re done and I'm pretty sure it does I think the Elka shocks go
Stage 1- triple rate no resi
Stage 2 triple rate external resi
Stage 3 triple rate external resi rebound adj
Stage 4 quad rate external resi rebound adj hi lo compression adj
Stage 5 triple rate external resi rebound adj hi lo compression adj and hi flow design

rollie
03-26-2014, 12:54 PM
when you buy elka's, your buying them off a shelf. your getting ones set up for "someone" your weight, riding style, ability and things like that. basically they are meant to improve the ride for the majority of people.

When you get revalves your getting shocks built for YOU and only you, so they come dialed in much better than a set of elka's, provided a good builder does them, i always wanted to get revalves for MX and run stnd travel, just to see how good i could get it without caving and doing what everyone else does( I.E. Longtravel)

i have always ended up going with long travel for MX but if i where to build an XC bike or ride mostly for fun on trails, i would get revalves and never look back

LxMxL97
03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
when you buy elka's, your buying them off a shelf. your getting ones set up for "someone" your weight, riding style, ability and things like that. basically they are meant to improve the ride for the majority of people.

When you get revalves your getting shocks built for YOU and only you, so they come dialed in much better than a set of elka's, provided a good builder does them, i always wanted to get revalves for MX and run stnd travel, just to see how good i could get it without caving and doing what everyone else does( I.E. Longtravel)

i have always ended up going with long travel for MX but if i where to build an XC bike or ride mostly for fun on trails, i would get revalves and never look back
Thanks for the reply pretty good info good points given I think I'm going to send them out to either gt thunder or jet I'm still undecided

300ex13
04-02-2014, 09:48 AM
if i where to build an XC bike or ride mostly for fun on trails, i would get revalves and never look back

What company would you choose for the revalves? Derisi, GT, JET, Rocket Ron or Dirtworks? I am sure they are all comparable as far as performance, but what about bang-for-your-buck?

CJM
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Having called all of them at one time or another:
-GT Thunder: good for the money, sometimes iffy turn around times, sometimes bad customer service.
-Jet: When Nick ran jet it was awesome but it was not cheap, Tim took over and I havent heard much about it. If Tim does it the way Nick does (which is how I would assume someone would do it) things should be fine.
-Derisi: Good guy, very knowledgeable and infact he is originally from the area Im in he told me. I did feel he was kinda pushy, I wanted to run a certain kinda setup and he kept pushing his link on me.
-Rocket ron-havent dealt with him
-Dirtworks: e-friends of mine have used Josh, they say VERY good work and decent pricing.

Codynetz634
04-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Jet has great turn around. Tim doesnt his work just like nick did. and great pricing. Wonderful customer service too.

602racer
04-15-2014, 07:17 AM
It all depends on budget. Revalving stock shock will save the wallet but aren't as good as aftermarket. I had 450 fronts and a aftermarket rear revalved and resprung for the same price as the Stage 3 Elka's (1,395). Got a new set of Elka Stage 3's and it was so much nicer. If you revalve stock shocks send them to Santo Derisi. He knows his stuff and Does a really good job.

ridered32
04-17-2014, 03:56 PM
I haven't found a company that will revalve and respring all 3 shocks than Dirtworks. Dual rate fronts and a single rate rear with a link. I had them do mine on my 05 and loved them.

602racer
04-17-2014, 04:26 PM
I haven't found a company that will revalve and respring all 3 shocks than Dirtworks. Dual rate fronts and a single rate rear with a link. I had them do mine on my 05 and loved them.
Derisi Racing can revalve and respring them Dual rate front and single or dual rate rear. They will even cut a inch of the shock body for and extra inch of travel.

cheater13
04-18-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm sending my stock 450r shocks to GTHUNDER once I get some extra cash.

But Laz and his wife passed away in a plane accident awhile ago unfortunately, so you won't be able to contact him.

LxMxL97
04-19-2014, 08:38 AM
I think I'm just going to send them to jet I like that they offer a triple rate front