PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new truck! Help me out

quadmanw
03-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Well it's finally time for me to get a new truck. Right now I drive a 2001 dodge 1500 with 185,000 miles and I love that truck. Problem is it's starting to rust out and it needs some coin to get inspected at the end of the month. I have a guy who wants to buy it for more than its worth so I guess it's time to let it go. My question for you guys is what are you guys driving? I'm kind of a dodge guy but I'm open to everything. I don't want a debate about how ford is better than Chevy and vice versa.. I just want some input. Right now I'm leaning towards the new dodge 1500 because dodge has some good pricing on leases right now. Pictures are welcome and I'm open to pretty much anything at this point. Thanks guys :D

HondaRacing83
03-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I wouldnt buy a new chevy the frames are junk. They arent powdercoated or anything just a thin coating of some **** on bare metal you can peel off with a pressure washer. Im a dodge guy too i like them especialy the new ones. Fords are good too i dont like the 5.4's tho

quadmanw
03-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Not a big new Chevy guy anyways.. Think you pay too much for what the new ones are. I'm thinking of leasing a 2014 dodge MAYBE.. But I'm not sure if I can see myself driving a new truck, but I kind of have to so I can get something with decent gas mileage.

beastlywarrior
03-13-2014, 02:52 PM
New chevy in a 5.3. New truck problem solved

blacknblue#2
03-13-2014, 05:11 PM
New chevy in a 5.3. New truck problem solved

I agree to an extent but do away with the afm. Nothing but trouble in my opinion. I have a non afm 5.3 with 220k and at 5000 mile oil changes it still come at out brown. Ive owned 2 brand new trucks. If you use a truck in my opinion dont buy new. You'll worry about it too much, and dont lease, giving money away imo.

CJM
03-13-2014, 05:50 PM
I wouldnt buy a new chevy the frames are junk. They arent powdercoated or anything just a thin coating of some **** on bare metal you can peel off with a pressure washer. Im a dodge guy too i like them especialy the new ones. Fords are good too i dont like the 5.4's tho

5.4L sucks, underpowered and they like to blow.

As for chevys, we have a fleet of them at work and have no issues. They get used and abused all day every day, were talking not shut off often, driven hard, oil changes every 5k. This winter was horrible, snow, snow and more snow which means tons of salt-no rust on the frames really. Dodge Im sorry to say works like this: for every 1 person who says they had a good one I know 10 other people who shelled out more than the truck was worth to keep it going. They are junk, cummins is all they got going for them.

Forgot to add: Each one of them get driven about 50k miles a year. We have an 7 month old 2500hd silverado 6.0 V8 and it already has 30k on it.

Thumpin440ex
03-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Please tell me what OEM frame is powdered ?? GM by far has the superior drive line, engine bar none, hands down. Their trucks ride smoother, are faster, have more power, parts are cheaper, more available, PCM changes are easier to get. People gripe about the IFS, well to say the least unless you are putting redic power through them they live just fine, retain that smooth ride vs a straight front axle truck. Whether it is a brand new gm or a older 03 up one, they are the best trucks out there. And you can't hurt a fuggn Vortec.

John

quadmanw
03-13-2014, 07:38 PM
I have to disagree about dodge.. Personally I think their second gens are the best trucks ever made. They can do anything you throw ahead of them, that's just me though. Personally I'm nervous to buy a new truck because I know ill baby it way too much.. But I've looked for months and haven't found anything that's used worth my while. Also I'd be easier for me to make payments rather than all cash at once, being that I'm a college student.

CJM
03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I could bore you all day with tales of why dodges suck but it wont do any good. Lets just suffice to say Ive been a mechanic long enough to not ever want own one after Ive seen the issues they have.

You cannot kill a vortec motor, and the IFS rides 10x better than a SFA. Even better is the fact that if you pay attention to fleet trucks they mostly use chevys and fords but no dodges..interesting no?

quadmanw
03-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Completely makes sense man, like I said I'm open to all advice and opinions. I'm not against Chevy.. I'm just not a fan of the new ones.. Unless I could get a good deal on one. My old man has an 08 tundra and I love the truck. Personally I think it is the best half ton made.. I'm just too stubborn to buy one.. Not to mention they're pretty $$

beastlywarrior
03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Look for a leftover 2013 chevy if you can find one

Let's just say I'm a test engineer that tests automotive components and I will never own a dodge or jeep

quadmanw
03-14-2014, 05:55 AM
I will look into. Hopefully I can find a 2013 Chevy altitude or something. I like Chevy but they sit way to low for my liking

rollie
03-14-2014, 02:50 PM
i love the new dodge 1500's!! the express trim where everything is color matched is so badass

OldGuyonaQuad
03-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I had a 2005 1500 quad cab and I got my money's worth out of it but once it needed work I found out what a pita it was to get the right parts, same truck same year with 12 different xfer cases if you had power windows different this and that. I love my Titan, they are hard to find used at a good price because they run forever and most owners don't want to give them up.

KKiowaTJ
03-14-2014, 11:19 PM
I have a sample chevy truck with IFS and it rides abou the same as a solid axle. I have bilsteins so I know its not shock related. But for an all around good truck, The 6.0L in a 2500HD in 05+/- will go forever. The duratrash injectors are $4k and go out not if, But when.

My solid axle jeeps have and will outlast any vehicle on road. The only thing they lack, Is engineers with their heads up their arse who have no F'N clue! The last 'ture' jeep rolled of the line is 2006. Im not an engineer but can sit and tell you every weak point jeep/ram, D30/44/60 etc. Weak tubes, Same tubes, Inner and outer C's, Junk knuckles and ball joint set up. The new JK jeep has death wobble so bad on a test ride im surprised people buy them. I could go on for pages where corners were cut the newer they got past 06'.

Im a jeep/MOPAR guy, DD a chevy for reliability and the miles they will take flawlessly. Best thing I have found, Don't buy it if you can pay in cash to own it. That way you can afford to fix and up grade. Unless you have to keep up with the rich kids, Nothing better than a 04' 2500HD fresh 6.0L with a couple mods, exhaust and a nice LS tune to bump up MPG. Good luck either way

CJM
03-15-2014, 10:05 PM
I can attest to them 6.0's. Have a fleet of them suckers and have driven/serviced other fleets with them. Not uncommon to see ones with 250-300k still rolling along fine.

As for bilsteins: I had plain jane monroe shocks on my toyota (same suspension as every IFS made from 88-present) and I put bilstiens on. With monroes is rode softer, closer to an suv, bilsteins ride like a truck. ROUGH... But I dont mind, its a truck.

Stickman400
03-16-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm a Chevy guy but I have never owned one. My dad has owned several, but never put more than 20,000 on them before trading it in for another new one. So with that being said I can't say anything +/- about Chevy personally. I've had a few friends with older Dodges that were nothing but trouble, but they also had the piss ran out of them. The new Dodge I bought seems well built and has been a damn reliable very solid truck so far, but I still don't even have 15,000 on it yet. I've also had 2 Rangers (1 with a 2.5 and 1 with a 4.0 now) and they are very solid reliable dds. Never had any major issues up to 200k that wasn't my fault for causing, but you probably don't want a 1/4 ton truck either.

So with all that being said I would look for a good used (or a new hold over if you could find one) '10 or '11+ Chevy or Dodge, definitely get a gasser for the reliability. Yea the diesels are good for reliability for the most part, but parts are ridiculous for them if something does happen, plus you don't need that much power if you aren't pulling something everyday. The 6.0s and 5.7s get decent mileage for the weight they are moving so you can't go wrong with either. I prefer the new Dodge interiors over the Chevys, but to each their own. Don't get a Ford whatever you do though. I love Rangers, but they are the only thing I have seen from Ford that is worth a s#it, simply because they haven't had major over hauls and changes every few years, just basic changes.

zyoung04
03-17-2014, 04:13 AM
5.4L sucks, underpowered and they like to blow.

My 5.4 isn't under powered by anymeans. But it whines haha

Their down fall is certain years they would blow the plugs out of the heads. It isn't common with all just a hit and miss deal. Most of the problem with the ford trucks is trannys. I know guys that have 4.6s and'with 270k and use them as a everyday driver. Note they are in crown vics but there isn't any difference in the 5.4 and 4.6 other than the heads.

CJM
03-17-2014, 07:34 AM
My 5.4 isn't under powered by anymeans. But it whines haha

Their down fall is certain years they would blow the plugs out of the heads. It isn't common with all just a hit and miss deal. Most of the problem with the ford trucks is trannys. I know guys that have 4.6s and'with 270k and use them as a everyday driver. Note they are in crown vics but there isn't any difference in the 5.4 and 4.6 other than the heads.

Trans is different in the crown vic and the 4.6L isnt hauling around a 6000lb truck. Hop in a chevy or a dodge with the equivalent V8 then hop into the ford..you will be like wtf...I drove a ford 5.4L work van for eons then we switched to chevy work vans, WAY more power out of the 6.0. Even the older vans we got with 350 v8s were better than the 5.4L.

blacknblue#2
03-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Trans is different in the crown vic and the 4.6L isnt hauling around a 6000lb truck. Hop in a chevy or a dodge with the equivalent V8 then hop into the ford..you will be like wtf...I drove a ford 5.4L work van for eons then we switched to chevy work vans, WAY more power out of the 6.0. Even the older vans we got with 350 v8s were better than the 5.4L.
Stock for stock no v8 gas in a 6000lb truck is going to be a powerhouse. I owned a 2008 crew cab chevy with a 6.0...that thing was a slug, done good to get out of its own way. Now put a good tune on the same truck is night and day difference. Just the same as the triton v8s....moral of the story, with today's epa dont buy anything based off of 100% stock performance reviews

CJM
03-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Stock for stock no v8 gas in a 6000lb truck is going to be a powerhouse. I owned a 2008 crew cab chevy with a 6.0...that thing was a slug, done good to get out of its own way. Now put a good tune on the same truck is night and day difference. Just the same as the triton v8s....moral of the story, with today's epa dont buy anything based off of 100% stock performance reviews

I should mention that I forgot the importance of gearing. I will never own a truck with less than 3.73 gears, mpg be damned. Example: We have 4 silverado 2500hd's at work: a 2006 with 4.10 (but its only a 4 speed vs the 6 speed of the later ones), 2011 4.10, 2012 3.42 and 2013 3.73. The 2012 w/ 3.42 CANNOT get out of its own way, all the others got no issue. The 4.10 truck really moves tho. All of these are carrying about 1500lbs of weight as well. A chevy also makes power much higher in the rpm range than a ford does-just the way they are setup. Same as my toyota, most power is found above 2500rpm and I need to wind it out b/c the 6cyl in it is somewhat anemic even with 4.30 gears

You can have the most powerful engine, but if you got horrible gears your sunk. ALA the old F series made from 88-97, some of those trucks had 3.08 gears...talk about horrible.

zyoung04
03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Until u get in any of the newer chevys with the 6.2 v8 all of any full size trucks seem like turds to me. Even the hemis don't impress me. Every dodge gas I ever rode in just made alot of noise and wouldn't move out of its own shadow. Don't get those new chevys stuck. Blacknblue had his chevy 2500 stuck and got pulled out by a 2wd ranger. Lol

Im not biased any brand by the way....unless its Oldsmobile haha

CJM
03-17-2014, 05:04 PM
^ Your a power snob now lol..

I drove a 454 chevy around for awhile, that sucker had some serious torque since it was a 454 ss which is just a reg cab shortbed. Also drove a 8.1L and that was cool tool, fords 460 is anemic at best and the V10 got some good power. I still like a worked 7.3L best tho.

Thumpin440ex
03-17-2014, 07:25 PM
I can attest to them 6.0's. Have a fleet of them suckers and have driven/serviced other fleets with them. Not uncommon to see ones with 250-300k still rolling along fine.

As for bilsteins: I had plain jane monroe shocks on my toyota (same suspension as every IFS made from 88-present) and I put bilstiens on. With monroes is rode softer, closer to an suv, bilsteins ride like a truck. ROUGH... But I dont mind, its a truck.

The vortec ( Ls platform) engine is the strongest engine probably built. I have had over 5 years of boost ( 12lbs) smashing a stock bottom end 6.0, it loves it. :D

John

blacknblue#2
03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
^ Your a power snob now lol..

Zyoung owns a 455 Hurst Oldsmobile that is known to hop the front tires over top of a pop bottle off the line.....it takes some serious HP to impress him lol. He aint lying tho my 2500HD crew cab was pulled out by a 2wd ranger. I was ready to throw a match in the fuel tank and walk

CJM
03-18-2014, 08:05 PM
A 2wd ranger..seriously? IDK man, even driving today an old beat up work van we got (my nice trucks in the shop) that sucker has good getup and go with a 6.0.

wilkin250r
03-18-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm a Chevy man myself, but I got just a hair over 300k on my Ford inline 6. Love that guy.

zyoung04
03-19-2014, 02:31 AM
A 2wd ranger..seriously? IDK man, even driving today an old beat up work van we got (my nice trucks in the shop) that sucker has good getup and go with a 6.0.

It was basically on flat ground too lol. I wouldn't have believed it if hadnt seen the marks. We called it the Silvaturdo.

It did leave a pretty impressive MARK in front his house one time. Cars and trucks are like humans I think. Lazy some days and some they feel giddy. That must've been one day the Silvaturdo was feeling giddy. Cuz I was impressed with that.

blacknblue#2
03-19-2014, 11:34 AM
It was basically on flat ground too lol. I wouldn't have believed it if hadnt seen the marks. We called it the Silvaturdo.

It did leave a pretty impressive MARK in front his house one time. Cars and trucks are like humans I think. Lazy some days and some they feel giddy. That must've been one day the Silvaturdo was feeling giddy. Cuz I was impressed with that.
That tire was running 70mph in the gravel before I hit the asphalt, that was the only reason it ever done that good. I cant knock that truck I guess it was a big truck but me and zyoung both like power. I went to the silvaturdo from an 06 powerstroke with 150 horse program, 100 horse injectors an exhaust and intake. Ive done nothing but go down in power. Now with 2 kids to haul to the sitters every day I have a tahoe with the old faithful non afm 5.3 in it

chucked
03-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Im not gonna give my 2 cents on what new truck to get, but I will say there is a TON of false information in this thread. Take some for test drives, compare the specs, warranties, and prices, go from there.

quadmanw
03-19-2014, 08:19 PM
It's all about opinion honestly. I test drove a Chevy. Like the way it rode a lot. But I feel it's not modernized. Drove a 2014 ram 1500 and 2500 and loved them both. They both have a lot of power and drive smooth with dodges air suspension.. I would like to test the f 150 v6 dual turbo and see how I like that.. I've still been looking for a nice used Chevy or cummins. No luck yet!

CJM
03-19-2014, 08:36 PM
I feel as though most have no idea longevity and whats better until you have worked on these things. A test drive is not an overall impression of a vehicle b/c your sitting there for maybe 30 minutes.

In either case, I still stand by my decision that if you want a 1/2 ton truck Id buy the chevy.

jcs003
03-21-2014, 01:50 PM
not sure what you will settle on but i am also in the market for a new truck and the silverado is looking to be my choice. it will be a nice thing to look forward to this summer if/when i pull the trigger. best of luck in you search.

john

Pacheco_450r
03-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Looks like most of my thoughts have already come up but ill join in anyway. I personally drive a 05 half ton silverado 4wd ive got 125k on it and havent had a single problem. On the highway its not uncommon to get 19-20mpg being its a single cab and has a custom tune. A friend of mine bought a 2013 single cab dodge to have a "gas friendly" pickup and couldnt get better than 13mpg out of it so he sold it back and went back to driving his 2013 dodge dually with the high output cummins that gets the same milage.

My dad has a 99 silverado 2500 with the 6.0 that just hit 300k and still running strong. Its done a good amount of towing its whole life.

Like cjm the company i work for has a fleet of service trucks. We have 3 2006 silverados 3500s with the 6.0 all with over 200k miles, 8 2010-2012 silverados with the same setup. These trucks are hauling about 6-8 thousand pounds of tools, equipment and a welder and are driven hard. The only two trucks we have problems with are the 2011 ford 5500s with the 6.7 diesel and have both had major issues! Transmissions, turbos, blown motors etc. Those two trucks are in the shop more than on the road. I dont have any experience with the ford gassers.

Ultimately its up to you but as far as the reliabilty and performance value i think the gm 6.0 or even the 5.3 is a smart choice and would prevent a lot of potential headaches and save money in the long run.

Good luck!