PDA

View Full Version : Best shock for x/c?

exrider123
03-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Whats the best shock for xc and trails... I was looking at elkas tripple rate w/o rezzies but i guess the ssd spring sags which means you will lose ground clearence and i need that for where i ride in the trails ?? any suggestions and also i wasent looking to spend more than 500

thanks

03-22-2003, 01:56 AM
:devil

GT300
03-22-2003, 04:46 AM
Works tripple rate with rezzies are about 500. Are you going to do any serious racing?

Derek
03-22-2003, 05:13 AM
I myself have peps. But for XC id say elka.

03-22-2003, 06:14 AM
I dont think one shock is better for XC. Just get the shocks you like and canafford and get them set up for your weight and for XC and you'll be just fine.

Dave400ex
03-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Rico what series handguards are those?

03-23-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Rico what series handguards are those?

rally brush guards i believe is the name of them warriorman...they work great and are pretty tough..i've nailed tree's with them and they don't break..

Dave400ex
03-23-2003, 06:00 AM
Ok I was looking in Rocky Mountain and they have the Rally Brush and Rally Pro. It says they only work for dirtbikes so will they work for mine? I don't know why they wouldn't...

300exjuggalo
03-24-2003, 02:19 AM
sweet i like your set up , and quad rico:rolleyes:

bmw500hp
03-24-2003, 06:05 AM
I have a jrd 1" XC Roll style a-arms and am running mx pep's which are actually set up a bit to stiff...I just got them to run till I buy a set of 3 shocks, properly setup..well the quad sits much lower than before. I ride woods with tons of rocks with no problems...you blast though trails pinned where before you got knocked around! If there is a trade off in clearance it's for the better in overall handling.

I love the setup. I dont' mean I like it, I mean I love it....It is so much different than stock. If you had this setup with Elka'a properly set for you, this is your face....:D

YZROOSTINYA
03-24-2003, 06:52 AM
i ride on one big rock

my ssd work great 23/22 set up helps also

03-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Shocks and clearences.

Get the shocks you like and can afford like suggested earlier, most every aftermarket shock will embarrass the stockers.

As far as ground clearance I hope you are running skid plates for rough terrain etc, and the only low point of the machine I ever even thought of getting hung up on (or ever did for that matter) was the rear skid. And the suspension sag doesnt effect the height of the rear skid.

holeshot19
03-24-2003, 10:41 AM
i bought a gas tank from trish down at steel creek and i was looking at mikes bike it had those jrd a arms what length shock r on those she showed me those roll arms he took off his bike but i would rather buy new arms than used.i read some where 850 was the cost.

bmw500hp
03-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by holeshot19
i bought a gas tank from trish down at steel creek and i was looking at mikes bike it had those jrd a arms what length shock r on those she showed me those roll arms he took off his bike but i would rather buy new arms than used.i read some where 850 was the cost.

Well, the pep's I have on it now are 16's. I picked them up more or less because they fell in my lap....anyway, the roll uses the exact same shock that the JRD uses. I have held the JRD and Roll side by side. They are more or less exactly same but JRD for some reason weighs like 1 lb more. I am going to call Axis tomorrow for specifics about the shock model specified for use on Roll or JRD.