View Full Version : Stripped bolts, everything overtightened. what to do?

Transmatic
03-08-2014, 05:57 PM
The previous owner over tightened everything he ever touched on this quad. I'm trying to remove the carb so I can go to a 42 pilot 155 main jet. But I can't get the 2 screws loose that hold the plastic throttle valve cover in place. Already sprayed them with some good stuff to help break loose. Also I can't use much pressure with the Phillips head because they are already pretty much stripped out. Any suggestions?

Also noticed I have a broken valve cover when I was removing everything. Where can I pick up a replacement?

LxMxL97
03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
The previous owner over tightened everything he ever touched on this quad. I'm trying to remove the carb so I can go to a 42 pilot 155 main jet. But I can't get the 2 screws loose that hold the plastic throttle valve cover in place. Already sprayed them with some good stuff to help break loose. Also I can't use much pressure with the Phillips head because they are already pretty much stripped out. Any suggestions?

Also noticed I have a broken valve cover when I was removing everything. Where can I pick up a replacement?
Drill the head off of the screws then grab them with a pair of vice grips and for the valve cover I'm sure there's a bunch on eBay

CJM
03-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Valve cover can be had on ebay. DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE VALVE COVER BOLTS! They are literally 6 ft-lbs I recall. I tighten them by hand by holding my hand on a 1/4 drive ratchet head and making them hand tight.

As for removing whats busted-hand impact driver. The kind you can get at sears would work well. Works by smacking it with a hammer and voila its off. If that dont work, drill or cut the screws with a pair of wire cutters (dikes) and buy new ones at home depot (they are metric screws and easy to find)

81dasher81
03-08-2014, 10:14 PM
to get the cover off take a phillips screwdriver and a hammer, tap on the screwdriver, it usually helps break them loose.

ride red 14
03-09-2014, 09:48 AM
put a little valve grinding compound on the screw head and then try your phillips head on it. the compound gives it something to bite with.

Transmatic
03-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll get that ******* off tonight.