PDA

View Full Version : Tips for someone new to dirt bikes?

Hondamaster5505
03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Hey what's up guys. Been a long time since I've posted up on here.. Lately my friend group has all gotten back into riding and we've been doing a lot more. The banshee is undergoing a frame up build at the moment to be hopefully done by Spring.

A couple months ago I picked up a DRZ400 dual sport bike, so I can rip around town and learn the ways of riding dirt bikes a little. (Mine's a little bit more setup for dirt with knobbies and such) I feel like I've been picking up on it relatively quick, but at the same time I feel a 319lb bike is not the most ideal to get good on.

I love the new challenge of riding something I'm not used to, and have a huge desire to get good on one.

I'm picking up a 99 YZ250 today for cheap and I'm reaching out to those of you that rode quads your whole life, and tried out dirt bikes too. I'm not getting out of quads. What did you guys do to ease the transition from 4 wheels to 2?

Scro
03-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Thumb throttle helped me the most. My *** had never touched a dirtbike seat until I brought my KTM 300xc home. I'm familiar with the thumb, and it has allowed me to concentrate on not eating dirt so much.:tired:

blacknblue#2
03-04-2014, 05:03 PM
I rode bikes as a kid. Switched to quads at 13 when the 400ex come out. I raced quad mx for years and was one of the fastest guys in my local area when I gave that up to switch to a bike in 09. I was upside down, on my side every which way that I wasn't supposed to be....for a year, I was ready to walk away from riding all together due to the major step back.....one day it was like flipping a light switch. I was railing corners, throwing my leg out, seat bouncing and actually RIDING the bike lol. In 2012 I was talked out of the bike to get back on a quad by friends. It was never the same. 6 months later I was on a road trip to buy my current CRF. I hated the bike life at first but after I made myself learn how to ride it there was no better feeling than a bike.

wfo4rv
03-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I rode bikes as a kid. Switched to quads at 13 when the 400ex come out. I raced quad mx for years and was one of the fastest guys in my local area when I gave that up to switch to a bike in 09. I was upside down, on my side every which way that I wasn't supposed to be....for a year, I was ready to walk away from riding all together due to the major step back.....one day it was like flipping a light switch. I was railing corners, throwing my leg out, seat bouncing and actually RIDING the bike lol. In 2012 I was talked out of the bike to get back on a quad by friends. It was never the same. 6 months later I was on a road trip to buy my current CRF. I hated the bike life at first but after I made myself learn how to ride it there was no better feeling than a bike.
as much as i hate to say it i agree, once i learned to ride my bike, i enjoy it much more

Hondamaster5505
03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
So what I'm seeing is there's no true way to learn besides just going out and busting my *** a couple times and learning the bike haha. Something I can deal with I guess.
I mainly wanted one for the new challenge. I feel like I've been too comfortable on quads, and wanted a new experience. So far I love it but I'm just so used to having 4 wheels that cornering fast and stuff is hard to do because of all the thoughts in the back of my head.

As far as the throttle I actually really like the twist on bikes, feels pretty natural on them. Didn't think the throttle would transition as easy as it did for me

fastredrider44
03-05-2014, 08:29 AM
You will likely transition easier than you think. Even though the DRZ is heavy and soft, its a good learner bike. That YZ on the other hand was a pretty good year for them, with a pretty hot motor. I suspect you will have to dump that bike several times before you get used to it.