PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove ball joints?

LxMxL97
03-04-2014, 05:09 AM
Ok so on the stock a arms I was wondering how or can you remove the ball joints I want them out so I can get them powder coated blue

2001400exrida
03-04-2014, 05:16 AM
U can't.

chronicsmoke
03-04-2014, 06:18 AM
I saw a guy made his own remover with a coupling nut and a bolt.. I'm going to make one when I have to take some apart again. I've always had good luck popping mine apart though.

You can't powder stock arms the ball joints will melt.. You could do the top arms and do the ball joint mod if you wanted to.

I'm in the same situation with a project raptor so I'm getting some auto paint mixed and I'll shoot them that way with a few coats of clear.. not as good as PC but it'll work.
The paint really wears off the bottom of the arms fast though

2001400exrida
03-04-2014, 06:47 AM
if it's really worth powdering the stock arms you can send them to jet suspension or gtt thunder and have them put them convert to adjustable a arms with removable ball joints. whether or not it's worth the cost is up to you, but you could more than likely find aftermarket arms for what they will be charging.

LxMxL97
03-04-2014, 06:50 AM
I saw a guy made his own remover with a coupling nut and a bolt.. I'm going to make one when I have to take some apart again. I've always had good luck popping mine apart though.

You can't powder stock arms the ball joints will melt.. You could do the top arms and do the ball joint mod if you wanted to.

I'm in the same situation with a project raptor so I'm getting some auto paint mixed and I'll shoot them that way with a few coats of clear.. not as good as PC but it'll work.
The paint really wears off the bottom of the arms fast though

whats the ball joint mod? and im not positive on this but I think a while back I had heard someone saying that you can send your a arms to I think gt thunder and they will do something to allow you to be able to replace the ball joints is there someone who does something like this?

chronicsmoke
03-04-2014, 07:19 AM
whats the ball joint mod? and im not positive on this but I think a while back I had heard someone saying that you can send your a arms to I think gt thunder and they will do something to allow you to be able to replace the ball joints is there someone who does something like this?

Or if you have the tools and the know how you can figure out what the common thread size/pitch is and go and get some ball joints at NAPA or buy them off GTT and install them yourself.

We did it to a Z400 for my buddy and he was really happy with the results. It's pricey enough, but if you mod the stock arms they should be good for a long time, but before you do ask yourself if you're going to go aftermarket arms any time soon. If you are planning on that I'd just leave them stock and ride them.

How wide was your 400 compared to the 450?

LxMxL97
03-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Or if you have the tools and the know how you can figure out what the common thread size/pitch is and go and get some ball joints at NAPA or buy them off GTT and install them yourself.

We did it to a Z400 for my buddy and he was really happy with the results. It's pricey enough, but if you mod the stock arms they should be good for a long time, but before you do ask yourself if you're going to go aftermarket arms any time soon. If you are planning on that I'd just leave them stock and ride them.

How wide was your 400 compared to the 450? not sure never measured my 400 but it had +2 a arms and 3:2 wheels then I switched to 4:1 wheels

CJM
03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
As others have said, they arent removable.

This video will be of interest to you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCwXc4vH9GY

LxMxL97
03-05-2014, 05:37 AM
As others have said, they arent removable.

This video will be of interest to you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCwXc4vH9GY

Thanks after I was at school during study hall I had found those videos but the only thing I'm thinking is it's kinda expensive at like $150 since they are still just stock a arms because i was looking at a suspension set up from IShock they have some of their +2 a arms lt with stage 1 elkas lt and steel brake lines and billet clamps for $800

2001400exrida
03-05-2014, 07:12 AM
i run ishock ST +2's for TT and love them.

AHONDA17
03-05-2014, 01:00 PM
here is a link to some you can use http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-es2074r/overview/

cheater13
03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
I got GTThunder to do my stock a arms and ordered their ball joints too. They did a clean job.