PDA

View Full Version : Craigs List used car scam?

OldGuyonaQuad
03-02-2014, 10:13 AM
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4356200878.html

Looking for a used car for my daughter and came a crossed this add.

Several red flags:

1. Listed price 1/2 of Blue book value.
2. Moving over seas.
3. No specific city in listing
4. Add generated near Annapolis MD phone number MA (ok could be Military from Ma stationed in Md getting deployed)
5. Voice mail refers to extension for phone number rather then typical voice mail
6. Reply to my text refers me to an e mail address for info. WTF you have my number call me
Bottom line I told him to call me or I will purchase elsewhere.
If you think this is a scam feel free to mess with him and waste his time!

2001400exrida
03-02-2014, 10:26 AM
defniitely scam, i see them all over just like this. if it looks to good to be true it probably is. just report them when you see them.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Yea anything in life that appears to be to good to be true (especially on CL) is just that.
Here is another with same type of signature, probably the same JO.
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4356810007.html

HondaRacing83
03-02-2014, 02:05 PM
I am on craigslist more than the normal human being lol.. I can spot a scam a mile away. If they are odd numbers like that they are a scam. Who asks $1851.. People ask reg numbers like 1900 or 3k or something. Dont get me wrong theres deals to be had on there but almost anything overseas is fishy. Or if the number is weird or not original to the area code it is in, which isnt always right because some people do have odd number but its something to watch out for

OldGuyonaQuad
03-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Yea no doubt, the guy never contacted me again after I sent him a text telling him to call me explaining that I don't do e transactions on CL. POS thieves.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-02-2014, 08:40 PM
LMAO
He is moving closer to me an it has an 8' bed with liner, how can I resist?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4356559666.html

CJM
03-03-2014, 08:45 AM
I love scams like that, in two seconds of looking at the ad you can easily tell its a fake.

Course some of them are rather legit and crafty in making the ads. They steal pics of whatever it is, then claim they are out of the country and so forth and money can be paid using yahoo, google or ebay somehow and so forth. The price is usually a dead give away tho, who sells items for 1861 or 2243? I also like when they put pics up and the car is for sale say in NJ and has plates from another state on it or the plant life of the area isnt even close to what the area they are selling it in (IE plam trees and they are selling in NJ).

On the flip side, I REALLY dislike people who despite you listing the price and being firm insist on lowballing really bad. IE 1500 bucks doesnt mean show up with 500 bucks and Ill sell it to you. Or worse they wanna trade you an xbox, 10 games, a stolen iphone and 50 cash for whatever it is... When I was selling my 400EX some guy emailed me and stated he would be there the next day cash in hand with 500 bucks (I wanted 2000). I replied back no, he emailed again and upped it to 700. I emailed him back and told him thats fine, but he needed to bring another 1300 if he wanted the engine..lol.

chronicsmoke
03-03-2014, 09:10 AM
On the flip side, I REALLY dislike people who despite you listing the price and being firm insist on lowballing really bad. IE 1500 bucks doesnt mean show up with 500 bucks and Ill sell it to you. Or worse they wanna trade you an xbox, 10 games, a stolen iphone and 50 cash for whatever it is... When I was selling my 400EX some guy emailed me and stated he would be there the next day cash in hand with 500 bucks (I wanted 2000). I replied back no, he emailed again and upped it to 700. I emailed him back and told him thats fine, but he needed to bring another 1300 if he wanted the engine..lol.

Lmao I had a kid do that to me once and kept e-mailing me relentlessly.. Finally I said yah I'll take your offer, but bring your mom with you because I'm going to take tyhe other $1000 out on her while you watch..

He actually emailed me back and asked If I was accepting his offer.. :blah:

CJM
03-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Lmao I had a kid do that to me once and kept e-mailing me relentlessly.. Finally I said yah I'll take your offer, but bring your mom with you because I'm going to take tyhe other $1000 out on her while you watch..

He actually emailed me back and asked If I was accepting his offer.. :blah:
Oh that ones good lol.

I had so many people email me bogus stupid offers on various things that I just started deleting anything that wasnt even worth responding too. Even better is Im always very specific in my ad. No phone number, stupid offers, wiring money, pay by check, etc I dont respond too. Yet some people are too stupid.

One time was selling a toyota 4runner that was beat tot he hilt (had originally bought for the motor but plans changed). the truck was barely drivable due to all sorts of rust (mostly the body mounts), thing was not insured and the brakes were so bad they locked up if you touched them and other things. I refused to sell other than for parts and I put in the ad trailer it away period. Guy tells me he is coming down to meet me at the shop I was working for at the time where I had the truck. I gave him EXPLICIT directions, that was mistake one-it was soo easy-get off the hwy onto hwy # and you will pass the following blah blah. he called me no less than 4x telling me his gps sent him wherever it was, meanwhile I made it SUPER simple to get there if he woulda listened. He finally gets there and looks it over, and says ok but do you accept american express? Im like WTF! HELL NO! So he says uh then I cant pay for it today, told him if it wasnt sold by next week to gimme a ring, true to his word he calls and up shows up but this time without a trailer to tow it back. I made him sign the title right there and told him I was not responsible for anything that happened. He never called me back so I assume he didnt die driving it back home.

2001400exrida
03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
there's definitely some doozies on craigslist. Most of what happens is based on how you handle things and how you advertise. Sure you'll get the occassional jackwagon, but i buy and sell on craigslist all the time from small things like video games all the way to vehicles or powersports. If somebody sends me some bs, i just ignore it. I waste plenty of time responding to people but i make sure before anybody makes the drive or trip to be specific about everything including a baseline price figure so we're not wasting time and i always do cash only. that is in every single ad that i have ever listed. I also use a google voice number so that it texts directly to my phone so that way the guys aren't spamming my real number. It's very easy to block people on google voice.

overall I have great luck with craigslist and have somehow managed to avoid complete retards.