PDA

View Full Version : choke removal

brad_400ex
03-21-2003, 11:01 AM
i have a 96 300ex and i want to take the choke off for better thorrotle response. what do i all have to take off and will it take long. can i put it back on later or not.
reply fast.

brad

OutlawEX
03-21-2003, 12:18 PM
I think its just a waste ,it aint gonna be no arm ripping power difference

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
I think its just a waste ,it aint gonna be no arm ripping power difference

I couldn't agree more.

Steve-o 400EX
03-21-2003, 12:37 PM
On my 400ex i notice a pretty diecent change. The throttle response was a lot better, it started 10 times easier and idles much better when I start it. Its definately a good thing to do.

Chanman420q
03-22-2003, 04:53 AM
every little bit counts

03-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
every little bit counts
your not gonna notice 1/4 of an hp difference, personaly i dont tihnk its worth the time of taking it off, if you want better throttle response, get a high flow air filter, i suggest UNI and then get a slip on pipe

Steve-o 400EX
03-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by lrdrider1
your not gonna notice 1/4 of an hp difference, personaly i dont tihnk its worth the time of taking it off, if you want better throttle response, get a high flow air filter, i suggest UNI and then get a slip on pipe

More like 1/2 or 3/4 hp, but the throttle response has nothing to do with the hp, its a lot more responsive when u take it out, its MUCH easier to start and it idles smoother.

AtvMxRider
03-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
More like 1/2 or 3/4 hp, but the throttle response has nothing to do with the hp, its a lot more responsive when u take it out, its MUCH easier to start and it idles smoother.

I agree every lit bit helps.

Chanman420q
03-22-2003, 08:33 AM
its like the jet kit... not much of a diffrance but if u add things like that, like remove the choke, and so on it ads up

Steve-o 400EX
03-22-2003, 10:19 AM
its like the jet kit... not much of a diffrance but if u add things like that, like remove the choke, and so on it ads up

Yea it does. Like AtvMxRider and Chanman420q said, every little thing you do to improve you machines performance adds up and they work in conjunction with eachother. If you look at ur choke assembly, it takes up a lot of space in there, when you take it out it makes a pretty big difference.

Chanman420q
03-22-2003, 10:44 AM
do u take the lever off and that thing inside the carb that it moves to remove it?

Steve-o 400EX
03-22-2003, 11:37 AM
do u take the lever off and that thing inside the carb that it moves to remove it?

I left the Lever on, I just took out the flap and the bar. Some people may to it differently, i just did it this way in case I wanted to put it back in, but it turns out I dont.:D

03-23-2003, 02:56 AM
i looked at my choke. it doesnt realy take up too much room, i rode my friends quad and he has a removed choke with the same engine mods as me(porting,cams,springs,11:1 piston) and i couldnt feel a difference. the reason it starts easier is becuase you most likely upped your pilot jet

GrounD PoundeR
03-23-2003, 05:00 AM
I did this modification last night. I already have my engine torn down for the piston kit that I'm installing so my time line is going to be a little off.

It took about 5 minutes if that to do. You can take the choke out to see if you notice any difference and if not put it back. So maybe you might be looking at 30 minutes taking it out and putting it back on. I think for better response and maybe you only get a 1/4 horse out of it. For a little time and maybe 2 dollars for material its seems to be one of the best mods for price = horse power.

I do have a question. If you look at some of the post about this topic they keep referring to useing silicon to fill the hole, but if you read the label on alot of them they say not to use where it will come in contact with gas. Go figure carb...gas oh-boy. Any ideas?

Steve-o 400EX
03-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by lrdrider1
i looked at my choke. it doesnt realy take up too much room, i rode my friends quad and he has a removed choke with the same engine mods as me(porting,cams,springs,11:1 piston) and i couldnt feel a difference. the reason it starts easier is becuase you most likely upped your pilot jet

No, i did the pilot jet before i did the choke and it was still stubborn to start. The choke is what made the difference. It is not a difference you can feel by just taking it for a ride, the throttle response is better i can definately tell you that.

GrounD PoundeR
03-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Anyone have an idea on plugging holes? Most Silicon says not to use where in contact with gas???