PDA

View Full Version : Lookin at gettin back in the game

WarEagle450
02-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Hello everyone. Been out of the game for a long time, used to run a 05 YFZ around the local tracks here in Alabama and it all shored up when money went away,, work took over and had two kids.

I'm lined up to get back to it, and been lookin into it hard. I'm a Yamaha man all the way, really like the new fuel injected ones and am highly considering dropping the money on a brand new one. It's probably crazy of me to do that since I will never be able to put the time in on a bike I used to but it's one of those deals where I just want one that's never been touched ya know? Just lookin for pointers on the new YFZ's, anything new in the sport, and for anybody in Alabama some updates on tracks that will let quads run.

I live 20 minutes from Monster Mountain, and I've heard they're lettin is run now and I'm lookin for verification on that if anyone knows cause that's a driving factor in me gettin another bike. I know the folks that run Atmore and all that so I know I can ride there. Just overall lookin for information on tracks and maybe local weekend series, and some insight on the new yamaha's.

Thanks for any responses in advance

blacknblue#2
02-04-2014, 09:04 AM
I cant help you much on your local stuff but Im all for getting former riders back in the game. I know I would love to get a lot of my old riding buddies back into it. Only a couple of us left that still ride. If you liked your YFZ youll love the 09+ YFZR. you wont need to sink much money in it. Their hard to beat out of the box!!

Kovatch
02-04-2014, 11:33 AM
The YFZR is a great bike out of the box. Get some MX tires, kill switch and nerfs and you will be set. The first set of mods is the "Big 3" or "Big 4" as we have come to call them: Intake, exhaust, & fuel injection programer. The 4th is using the 06+ intake cam to get another HP out of the engien for a relatively cheap price. There are a few out there (both used YFZRs and the 06+ cam) that are in decent shape. I wish I would have just bought one that was already done up. Saved the $$$ on paying "full" price on parts. However, I do love my YFZR. 100x more comfortable than a YFZ. Suspension will be a little stiff if you are <200lbs, but overall a great bike for the price, out of the box.

Use google to search out tracks. There are a few comprehensive sites that will come up and you can select Alabama or GA, or TN, etc. Plus, you will have their phone numbers to call the tracks and get 1st hand information instead of through the grape vine: if/when they are open, quads allowed, etc.

zyoung04
02-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Im with kovacth. U can't a yfzr with the big 3 I got used to mine with them which was tough to do I rode races and tracks with a baffle in haha everyone called it "snake." There's a big difference between before and after the 3 mods. I was really surprised with the gains it made. A lot more snap than I expected.

HondaRacing83
02-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Switch to xc

gtilley45
02-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Go to www.sequad.com. There's a schedule on the site and if you're on Facebook, like the SE Quads page. They keep it updated with all the latest news.

As for Monster Mountain, they don't let is ride all the time but they do try to work with us as much as any track. A few of us are going to Sand Mountain MX in albertville, AL this Sunday if you want to come to north alabama. Other than that, there's not a whole lot of places to ride whenever you want to. Bremen MX in Bremen, GA works with us a lot and there's a couple other tracks in Georgia. I'm not on this site a whole lot but my email is gtilley45@yahoo.com if you want to shoot me an email I'll try to help you out.

Mean250r
02-24-2014, 04:28 AM
Im in the same boat. I ran a 250r then a YFZ when i was 17/18. Now im almost 24 and want back in the game. Im not gunna buy a new bike though, too much money needs to be invested then. Im gunna buy a clean used bike or maybe even a hybrid! Always wanted a walsh CRF