PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Typhoon style ATV upgrade with build kx65-85cc BB setup

oscarmayer
02-03-2014, 01:27 PM
i am installing a built KX65 with a BB setup and hotrods crank. it will be a 85cc setup with custom porting work and 28mm PWK carb. keeping the stock pipe. Amazingly enough if I set this engine far enough back like the stocker 4-stroke was, the pipe and everything fit like a glove. I did have to take a sledge to the upper frame tube to make a dent to be able to get plugs in any out of the engine while the engine is in the frame, but not a big deal. with the bottom section being properly welded together and making it a 1-peice frame from originally being a 2 piece bolt together, it is plenty strong. I need to get a set of nerf bars for this setup. the stokers were junk and got in the way. I need a nice aftermarket set.
any ideas on what will fit?

pics to come.

pics!!!!!!

ok I did not take photos of the latest mods, but I have added supports for the front engine mount so they cannot be torn off.
added ATV steering Damper
trying to decide if going to use factory coil or install aftermarket. I have one that will fit and is supposed to he hotter.
nerf bars on the way with some custom tweaks from XFR. they added an extra inch to the rear heal guard so I should have enough room now for the kicker w/o hitting the guard.
this is gonna be awesome!!!! ;)

oscarmayer
02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
well things are moving along nicely. got some new nerfs on the way, and redesigning the rear shock mount so it can use 1.5" of longer shock for more travel.
should be a nice setup when done. Later I will swap to a custom swinger that uses a raptor 250 rear end assembly' so that will make a big difference later, but goal is to get it at lest setup to run for the races coming in 4 weeks.

2005eton90
02-14-2014, 12:28 AM
Hope to see the results because i was thinking of doing the same mod. Post pics!

oscarmayer
02-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I will post photos this weekend, but I can promise ya, it is turning out "Xtreme"ly nice. ;) I got it to fit as if it was made that with this motor. I am using stock pipe for the kx65 as the stock pipe will work the best because the powerband will hit where we need it on these ATVs.

Other progress was made on the engine.
new hotrod crank assembly was installed into case.
all new seals and gaskets were installed.
athena 82cc B kit is in the mail (do not have time to send motor off for custom 85cc fitting. will do that later date)
new radiator is in the mail
new pwk 28mm carb in the mail
new nerf bars in the mail (will have to make supports for them to fit)

This thing will not look like the original bike much when done.

I forgot to add, the dates for this year's first race was moved up on me, so I will not have time to get a new rear end done before the start, so we will keep it stock rear for now. I will work on the design on my spare frame and by mid season, I should be able to swap to use the new design.

2005eton90
02-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Awesome , take pics of the frame if you don't mind! Keep us updated . Thanks

oscarmayer
02-16-2014, 10:36 AM
pics posted

2005eton90
02-17-2014, 12:33 AM
Lookin good so far! Good work!

oscarmayer
02-17-2014, 07:17 PM
thanks man! took a but squaring it up in the frame. I had to measure the bike angle of the cylinder and casing, then use that same angle in the quad. I then had to get it square in the frame. after some thinking, one of the easiest ways to ensure everything aligned up was to take a piece of flat steel and sue some clamps. I clamped it to both sprockets and was able to use pieces of wood and metal shims to get it how it needed to be and angles correct. then I made the mounts and bolted them to the engine and then tacked them to the frame. worked out really nice and ensured not only was it square but also sprockets were set correctly.
The factory notch out on the left side, I cut out and welded on a piece of tubing over the stocker that was thicker and slide over stock tubing. so I could properly mount everything w/o that dumb divot in the frame like before. it is actually stronger now than before.

when it is done, I'll take some more photos of everything assembled.
I am thinking of getting the pipe ceramic coated for heat reduction. it should help a lot to keep temps down for him and then maybe I will wrap it after to help even more. this way he does not burn his legs on the hot pipe since the exhaust is slightly different than the stock and it sticks out a lot more.

oscarmayer
02-19-2014, 07:47 AM
ok got the new radiator installed. I had to make new bumper support and move the top ones up onto the upper tubes, but works out nice!

You can see I had to completely remove the old mounts and make new ones. I also had to reinforce the front engine mounts so the will hold better.

oscarmayer
02-19-2014, 08:10 AM
tonight we got in the Athena 82cc BB kit and the XFR nerfs. We had a good time putting things together. the Nerfs look awesome on this quad! the engine is assembled and ready to go.

oscarmayer
02-22-2014, 07:26 PM
ok we got the bike done and tested! we missed today's practice, but that's ok, it was still fruitful. we had him ride in the woods near the house and since he ran a semi-auto engine before, so gears were not foreign to him. he was able to kick it over (starts 1st kick usually cause I'm good :D ) and he learned to use the clutch. on dirt I basically have him just 1/4 throttle it and pop the clutch and hang on. off she bangs sliding sideways and rooster tailing dirt like a pro!

Well here are some photos of the finished quad and the new sponsors on them.

oscarmayer
02-22-2014, 07:27 PM
more pics

oscarmayer
03-02-2014, 03:05 PM
no comments? :(
common, any good or bad?
I can tell you it screams like a banshee!!!! it revs so much faster than the 85cc engines I see others running (shorter stroke is why). Now my son just needs to learn to ride it better. :)

ontargetracing
03-03-2014, 03:45 PM
cool.. bring it back to ca round or two

oscarmayer
03-05-2014, 08:34 AM
haha, long drive for sure!

oscarmayer
03-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Son raced it this weekend in the 90 open class. The bike is fast and that's for sure. He's still trying to get used to shifting and the power of the new atv vs. his old setup, so he came in 8th out of 9. But he is showing a ton of promise and was doing really well! As he gets more seat time, he will continue to improve and do better.

if any xtreme owners are thinking of this, I Highly recommend the change. it is well worth the effort as the performance is amazing compared to the previous setups! I did measure and you can even stuff all the way up to a kx100 into this bad boy and have it run 104cc for the mini-sr class or other classes. Keep in mind i have modified the suspension setup and locations a tad bit and will be designing a new rear swinger along with new wider a-arms so as the season progresses thing swill change.

I'll post photos and details as i move forward.

xtreme125
07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
Do you have pics of finished quad

oscarmayer
08-03-2014, 11:04 AM
yes and it is now for sale. We are moving up in class and he got too big for this ATV.

here are some photos from earlier this year.

ontargetracing
08-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Mike, what are you moving to?

oscarmayer
08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Raptor setup. he needs something bigger. his is the size of a DRR or apex system.

Ride1Rob
08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
That's a nice build!

oscarmayer
10-03-2014, 07:50 PM
TY sir!